• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet mandrel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clarnibass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Trumpet mandrel Reply with quote

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the correct sub-forum for this...

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Votaw trumpet mandrel? It seems shorter than most other with a longer holding area, so not sure how far into the trumpet it gets. It also looks larger at the thick end but the photo is not clear.

http://www.votawtool.com/trumpet-bell-stem-mandrel.html

Thanks
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't precisely know what you're aiming for since this is not a BIR forum, but it's my personal experience that tools made and designed by Votaw are without exception top-notch. But also, they are really very nice people to deal with and are always ready to answer any questions or doubts by telephone.
So hey... give them a ring.

The bell mandrel you are talking about looks fine with me, btw.
I particularly like the curved bit (my mandrel doesn't have that).
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post erased for knowing some details I didn't know before.
Really didn't want to come across as harsh or unfair.

Last edited by Maarten van Weverwijk on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
musicalmason1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a pro repairman. The only reason I know that is because he is active on other repair only forums, where he posted the same question. He is in fact a knowledgeable repairman, but just looking for a trumpeters perspective on this tool, at least that is my understanding. Cut him some slack. Regarding the mandrel, I see you have already received some informative responses on the other site.

Personally, while I am a Votaw fan and use many of their products, I have the Ferees Mandrel set because I need the wide variety of shapes and they are magnetic while the votaw are not. The votaw also doesn't rust, so there are pluses and minuses to consider...
www.AlsMusicShopNY.com
Al's Music Shop
Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrumpetsForSale/
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicalmason1 wrote:
...He is in fact a knowledgeable repairman, but just looking for a trumpeters perspective on this tool, at least that is my understanding. Cut him some slack...

Okay, great. No problem.
It just looked a bit weird.
Thanks for clarifying.
Well meant apologies.
clarnibass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Yes, I asked this in a few places because it was difficult to find anyone who owns this mandrel. I emailed Votaw and they now added specs on their website.
I've been reparing woodwinds for a long time but just now startin with brass (other than some more basic brass repair which I've done for years too). I have some tools from Votaw already too. Most of my dent tools are from Boehm.
Most of my dent tools are magnetic but I don't need the mandrel to be so that's not a issue.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarnibass wrote:
...Most of my dent tools are from Boehm...

Pretty much everything Böhm makes is amazing, but often way more expensive than other tool makers; sometimes well worth the difference though. They're also rather difficult to communicate with (read "not so nice").

Back to the bell mandrel, mine is from Ferrees.
The Votaw mandrel looks great indeed, but truth be told I've never missed the curved bit the Ferrees one lacks. The curved part of the bell I often treat on bell cone P71, or roller P80. Absolutely fantastic for any bell flair work I find bell irons L3 and 4 and especially L5, which I think is brilliant to work with. But at the end of the day everyone has his/her own favoured tools.

MvW.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
clarnibass wrote:

Pretty much everything Böhm makes is amazing, but often way more expensive than other tool makers; sometimes well worth the difference though. They're also rather difficult to communicate with (read "not so nice").

The Votaw mandrel looks great indeed, but truth be told I've never missed the curved bit the Ferrees one lacks. The curved part of the bell I often treat on bell cone P71, or roller P80. Absolutely fantastic for any bell flair work I find bell irons L3 and 4 and especially L5, which I think is brilliant to work with. But at the end of the day everyone has his/her own favoured tools.

MvW.

+1
Ferree's tapered mandrels "C," "D," and "E" are my everyday tools for removing dents from any straight tapered tube. They would be on my "desert island" repair shop list.
https://yourbrass.com/
clarnibass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have just the opposite experience. They are always very nice. I've met the previous owner and anyway they always answer my many specific technical questions.

The Votaw mandrel looks great indeed, but truth be told I've never missed the curved bit the Ferrees one lacks.

The reason I asked about the Votaw is because I already have an order from them right now. I don't have an order from Ferree's or any other place any time soon... or longer than that. I usually avoid orders from USA with heavy products because shipping is extremely expensive, but in this case I can add the Votaw mandrel.

Thanks again
mrsemman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I use the same mandrel, and find it a great tool. while it says that the working length is 12", it will usually make it all the way to the bell crook. In fact, most of my tools come from Votaw. They are easy to work with and the shipping is quite fast.

Gary
Zeus Guarnerius Flugelhorn
Kanstul G Bugle
Jin Boa Bass Trumpet
clarnibass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I ordered this mandrel. If at some point I see that another mandrel is important enough I will get one.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
clarnibass wrote:

MvW.

+1
Ferree's tapered mandrels "C," "D," and "E" are my everyday tools for removing dents from any straight tapered tube. They would be on my "desert island" repair shop list.

lionel

what would be the replacement value for brass technician tools including heating equipment and widgets, the complete setup you would want in a first class shop.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

...lionel

what would be the replacement value for brass technician tools...the complete setup you would want in a first class shop...

Allow me to give you my intake.

It's hard to stay under $25.000 for a basic setup (whatever that is), but if you'd want to go for "the whole brass thing" including a large Ultrasonic cleaner, buffer, dentmachine, MDRS for tubas, precision trombone slide service or lathe work it's easy to go well over $50.000.
Not to mention setting up the actual shop with tables, benches, toolracks, lights, separate wet-room, separate buff-room, ventilation, cupboards for storage & stocking of parts, tubes, screws, springs, felts, corks...

The trick is to avoid having to send clients elsewhere because you don't have the tools or knowledge to provide a certain service, yet at the same time be able to pay off, and earn money with, the investments you've made.

MvW.
clarnibass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, although I've been repairing mostly woodwinds for a long time and only some brass repairs (I have a stock of brass parts though), I more or less agree with Maarten.

I'll just add that cost can depend on location. For example I've probably paid at least 30% more than someone who is in the USA and buys their tools and stock in the USA, because of shipping costs and VAT/tax (for same tools/supplies).
Another issue is that being farther from your suppliers might mean you need a bigger stock, so extra cost, otherwise it can be tricky to have to order often, making people wait, etc.

I think his description of the "trick" is very good and an important point. Here are a couple of examples.

- I have a lathe. I can make some parts that otherwise I would have to order (i.e. owner has to wait a long time) or stock (which would have a crazy high cost, considering how varied and non-repeating these parts are.

- I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. I looked into it. People here would not pay a reaosnabe price to clean their instruments with one. With a moderate size one, I calculated that it would take me about 5-10 years to barely return its cost.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
clarnibass wrote:

MvW.

+1

lionel

what would be the replacement value for brass technician tools including heating equipment and widgets, the complete setup you would want in a first class shop.

Chuck,
I'd have to put an inventory of tools together to estimate that. Thousands for sure. With all due respect to my fellow repairmen, forget about magnetic dent removers and ultrasonic cleaners. They are expensive and potentially fun toys, but I've done just fine without them.

Ferree's Web site has a page on a basic inventory for a repair shop. It might give you an idea of cost and scope.

-Lionel
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link.
http://www.ferreestools.com/sugguested-shop-setups.html#Suggested_Brasswind_Bench

Perhaps if someone wants to set it up in a spreadsheet against the price list it might be interesting.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ohiotpt!

This is a really good list, but one item you could omit which is REALLY expensive is the P90/91 trombone stone and stand. That's for trombone slide work, and while it also is a great and fun toy, but there are cheaper level surfaces which one could set up to do that work.

-Lionel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: