• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Sevrinsen Eterna Trumpet Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Getzen Sevrinsen Eterna Trumpet Question Reply with quote

I recently got the horn and am finding it is a little tight. It is ML. I used to play a Bach Strad and it seemed more open. The feeling that I have to back off a little on the Getzen may be a good thing for my endurance, and being 80, I need plenty of endurance. I don't want to answer my own question here. Will appreciate your take on this model too. It is 69/70 vintage. Thanks
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you consider mouthpiece and valves. Gap could be part of the problem and even Getzen valves may need a little attention now and then. The 1972 Severinsen I used to play was certainly not tight for me - I was in my late 50s/early 60s when I played it. I now play the modern version of the Severinsen, which is the 900 Eterna Classic. It is not tight for me either. Are there any dents in critical areas? Good luck.

Jim
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I had Wayne Tanabe perform a precision valve alignment on my '72 vintage Severinson. It did open up the horn a bit and improved intonation and responce. The affective difference was striking and positive.
HornofPlenty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Getzen Severinsen from around '71 with a Bob Reeves valve alignment. I also had another one from maybe around' 73. I thought the one with the Reeves alignment was a bit more open and I liked the way it slotted better. I bought the horn with the alignment and did a few blind tests and had a friend do the same thing. Both agreed we liked the one with the alignment better. I didn't even tell my friend one had the alignment. I wanted to see which he liked better. Of course, maybe my earlier model Getzen just played better to begin with..but I think it made a difference.

I really like the Getzen Eterna Severinsen models. Just a great presence in the sound..a sparkle, shimmer?...I don't know what the right word is to express it!

I did not find either trumpet to be stuffy though.

Last edited by HornofPlenty on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen Sevrinsen Eterna Trumpet Question Reply with quote

DNMH wrote:
I recently got the horn and am finding it is a little tight. It is ML. I used to play a Bach Strad and it seemed more open. The feeling that I have to back off a little on the Getzen may be a good thing for my endurance, and being 80, I need plenty of endurance. I don't want to answer my own question here. Will appreciate your take on this model too. It is 69/70 vintage. Thanks

Two things I would do:
1) Clean it. Properly. It's 40+ years old, and there may be some caked-on crud that is blocking it.
2) Make sure the right pads/felts were/are used. Don't count on the correct ones being in there.

Gary.

PS: If it were me, I would have put this in 'horns', not 'fundamentals'.

Last edited by ghelbig on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just add that my 71 Severinsen model is not at all tight or stuffy. I get an easy, open blow.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with the Severinsen horn, although I have heard they are very good. But, I had Flip Oakes do his enhancement on my Benge, which includes a valve alignment, some removal of any internal solder blobs and an ultrasonic cleaning. For me, on this horn, it did open up to the blow quite a bit.

Brad
k9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had one for years I thought it was very bright, great valves but a bit stuffy upstairs but a mouthpiece change took care of it
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tell the difference between a 69 and 70 Severinsen by the spit valves. In 70 they came out with the Amado keys. Prior to that they had normal spit valves. Someone recently made off with my 69 Severinsen and my Eterna Cornet and I would love to find them. They were great horns. I now have in my possession a 70+ Eterna that is destined for Instrumental Change.

The Severinsen isn't necessarily tighter than a Strad. The bore size should be the same as a ML Strad. It just may blow and slot differently for you. It definitely doesn't play the same, but what does?

Good luck.
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: