• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo Mouhpiece Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
noteak23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Piccolo Mouhpiece Question Reply with quote

I recently bought the new Schilke P7 Symphony series mouthpiece. This mouthpiece is supposedly similar in rim size to the schilke 11ax which is supposed to be close to a Bach 7E. However, it feels significantly smaller. Any ideas why this mouthpiece feels so small? I love the intonation and response but my range feels likes it's not as easy and and I can't blow as much on this mouthpiece without getting backed up. I'm playing a Schilke P5-4..

I bought it because because because because wanted something just a touch smaller than my Bach 7E but it ended up being a lot smaller than I thought it would be..

I have only been playing on it a couple days so ideas about getting used to a mouthpiece that might be correct in the long run vs. a mouthpiece feeling correct at the time of purchase would be interesting to hear.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried the Schilke P7 but in another thread there was some interesting disagreement about whether the Schilke Symphony M3 felt larger or smaller than the Bach 3C. To me the M3 feels smaller than the smallest vintage Bach 3C, others felt is was significantly bigger. I concluded for that piece that a player with little lip intrusion would perceive it to be bigger while a player with more lip intrusion would perceive it as smaller. I'm curious if the same thing is going on with the P7 and possibly the rest of the Symphony pieces.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheiden, that would make sense if the alpha angle is pretty high. Is that the case? I also wonder how a picc mouthpiece would work for playing lead, anybody try it?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alpha is in no way similar to a Schilke A-cup but there's definitely a difference between the rim high point and the alpha section that make it feel bigger of smaller for different players. Most don't use picc pieces for lead, or lead pieces for picc because the preferred backbores are pretty different for the picc and the Bb. Open backbores for picc, tighter backbores for lead, at least in general.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: