• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Altered v. Diminished scales over V7

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Altered v. Diminished scales over V7 Reply with quote

Hello, all. A jazz theory question for those that know a bit more about these things than I do. Thank you in advance!

So over a V7 chord, there are two sort of similar options for "hip" notes that are a little bit out but still sound quite pleasant to the ear: the half-whole diminished scale, and the altered/superlocrian/tritone-sub-#11 scale. Now, to my ears, the diminished scale just sounds so much better than the altered.

Both scales share the extremely tasty 1, b9, #9, 3 as the first four notes. These are bread-and-butter notes for altered dominant chords and are used everywhere in the jazz canon.

It's the upper sections of these scales where the real difference lies. The diminished scale continues #11, 5, 13, b7, which sounds very, very "in" and loses the "avoid note" natural-11.

The altered/superlocrian/tritone-sub-#11 goes b5/#11, #5, b7. The altered 5s and lack of a 13 are what just sound... trashy.

For the life of me, I can't get the altered scale to sound good! It always sounds to me like I'm just trying too hard to play "out" and "hip" notes - like they don't really belong. So it occurred to me that maybe I'm just using them in the wrong context.

So my question to you all: are there contexts in which you prefer the diminished sound over the altered sound? Blues v. ii-V7-I v. iib5-V7b9-i? Should I just do what sounds more natural to me and ditch the altered scale altogether? Or are there contexts in which I should definitely be thinking altered rather than diminished? I know that of course opinions will differ about this but some insight into your own thought processes will be welcome. I'd like to know where you personally prefer one sound over the other.

Thank you for your thoughts. Please, if you are just going to post that musical theory is useless and I should just listen to Clifford Brown records over and over until I magically learn to play and write complicated jazz passages, please save it for another thread. Thanks!
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improv Lesson 3 will help you.
http://www.bolvinmusic.com/musicnet-lessons/

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit trying to play "hip" and just play something that sounds good.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee has all of the answers to your questions......and he ain't playin scales!

hip yourself to Lee and set yourself free!
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Turkle, check out Lee Morgan's solo on "Are You Real" (off of the Moanin' messengers album). At bar 7 of his solo he delays the resolution of the E7 to A-7, playing (descending) F-C-Ab-G-F-E-D-C. That outlines most of the altered dominant money notes (excluding the #11) in a way that isn't too jarring. Another common alerted dominant "lick" is (descending over E7) G-F-C-G#-G-F-E.

If you're trying to not sound too "out", avoid the #11 and build the b13 into your line as a passing tone, leading into the #9 and b9, which as you point out are definitely your bread and butter notes for either altered or half/whole diminished scales.

One other strategy I've heard that is more dissonant is to build a regular pentatonic scale off of the tritone of a dominant chord. So for E7, you would mess around with Bb-C-D-F-G. Melodic but dissonant at the same time.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSco wrote:
Hi Turkle, check out Lee Morgan's solo on "Are You Real" (off of the Moanin' messengers album). At bar 7 of his solo he delays the resolution of the E7 to A-7, playing (descending) F-C-Ab-G-F-E-D-C. That outlines most of the altered dominant money notes (excluding the #11) in a way that isn't too jarring. Another common alerted dominant "lick" is (descending over E7) G-F-C-G#-G-F-E.

If you're trying to not sound too "out", avoid the #11 and build the b13 into your line as a passing tone, leading into the #9 and b9, which as you point out are definitely your bread and butter notes for either altered or half/whole diminished scales.

One other strategy I've heard that is more dissonant is to build a regular pentatonic scale off of the tritone of a dominant chord. So for E7, you would mess around with Bb-C-D-F-G. Melodic but dissonant at the same time.

Thanks JSco, those are some very helpful suggestions. I'll noodle around with those this evening. It's precisely those first three notes of the pentatonic that I don't... quite... have in my ear yet!

It's interesting that you point to the #11 as a particularly dissonant one, where I thought that one tended to sit very nicely (e.g. in the diminished), which all points to I suppose just different preferences!
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
Improv Lesson 3 will help you.
http://www.bolvinmusic.com/musicnet-lessons/

Eb

Thank you Eric, I'll look at that this evening.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question - do you have different preferences for altered v/ diminished over major or minor changes? I tend to see 7alt chords paired with minor changes...
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Another question - do you have different preferences for altered v/ diminished over major or minor changes? I tend to see 7alt chords paired with minor changes...

I think as a very loose rule you'll see the Alt7 with minor chords a little more often, especially when the soloist plays a minor/major sound over the minor chord (instead of Dorian).

That being said, there are lots of examples of Alt7 resolving to Imaj7 and diminished resolving to a minor chord. For me choosing between the two is very circumstantial. The half whole diminished can sound just as crazy as the alerted dominant, for instance when Trane superimposes three chords over a root half/whole dominant chord. I would say play what you feel and let the rhythm section follow!

As Ron said, if you transcribe Lee you'll start hearing more instances of both versions and start incorporating what feels natural.
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
JSco wrote:

Thanks JSco, those are some very helpful suggestions. I'll noodle around with those this evening. It's precisely those first three notes of the pentatonic that I don't... quite... have in my ear yet!

It's interesting that you point to the #11 as a particularly dissonant one, where I thought that one tended to sit very nicely (e.g. in the diminished), which all points to I suppose just different preferences!

Very true!
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~~For dominant 7ths that go "home" (back to the tonic) play a jazz minor scale a half-step up from the dom 7th.
For dominants that go to another dominant, play a jazz minor scale a 5th above the dominant.

This was Wes Montgomery's little trick to get that wonderful sound of his.

For those who are not familiar, the jazz minor scale has only the third dropped a half-step. The rest of the scale is "major".

Try this; Get a guitarist to strum a dominant 7th for you and just play up and down one octave on the appropriate jazz minor scale. You'll hear the sound.

For dom. NOT going home (back to the tonic) think about "A-Train". The first dom. goes to another dominant. Play the jazz minor scale a fifth above the dominant.

I got this tip from a video by Emily Remler.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Altered v. Diminished scales over V7 Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
So my question to you all: are there contexts in which you prefer the diminished sound over the altered sound? Blues v. ii-V7-I v. iib5-V7b9-i? Should I just do what sounds more natural to me and ditch the altered scale altogether? Or are there contexts in which I should definitely be thinking altered rather than diminished? I know that of course opinions will differ about this but some insight into your own thought processes will be welcome. I'd like to know where you personally prefer one sound over the other.

I'm not much of a scale theory guy, but I will say that I am much more likely to use the diminished sound if I'm altering a chord on the fly. That said, the sound can get tired pretty quickly once your ear keys on it.

Instead of trying to shoehorn a sound that you don't "get" yet into a given chord structure, I'd suggest going the other direction - find (or have someone recommend) one or more examples of recordings where a player uses that approach and see if it "sounds" right to you. If so - steal it!
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:

I KNEW YOU PEOPLE COULDN'T RESIST
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact dominant 7th or V7 scale choices can include the scales mixolydian ,major pentatonic,whole tone,dininished,half step diminished has flat 9 sharp 9 sharp4, lydian dominant,blues scale,hindu scale with flat 6,bebop dominant, diminish whole tone flat 9 sharp 4 sharp 5. learn it like your social security # then forget it.
bobbystern
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Altered v. Diminished scales over V7 Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
For the life of me, I can't get the altered scale to sound good! It always sounds to me like I'm just trying too hard to play "out" and "hip" notes - like they don't really belong. So it occurred to me that maybe I'm just using them in the wrong context.

You've really got to be able to hear something first, in order to play it convincingly. A real familiarity with the "sound" of Melodic Minor Harmony (of which the "altered scale" is it's 7th mode and "crown jewel") will do the trick.

I don't mean to be self promoting here, but "The Melodic Minor Handbook: A Jazz Player's Perspective" available from J. Aebersold, has all you'd need to get comfortable in really hearing this scale.

Also my website, bobbysternjazz.com contains tons of examples, ii-V7s, etc., of practical usage of MM harmony.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Altered v. Diminished scales over V7 Reply with quote

bobbystern wrote:
Turkle wrote:

You've really got to be able to hear something first, in order to play it convincingly. A real familiarity with the "sound" of Melodic Minor Harmony (of which the "altered scale" is it's 7th mode and "crown jewel") will do the trick.

I don't mean to be self promoting here, but "The Melodic Minor Handbook: A Jazz Player's Perspective" available from J. Aebersold, has all you'd need to get comfortable in really hearing this scale.

Also my website, bobbysternjazz.com contains tons of examples, ii-V7s, etc., of practical usage of MM harmony.

Looks great! There is a wealth of information on your site. Thanks for the resource.
craigtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:

If you're going to post stuff like this at least try to be of some assistance to the original poster by also posting an example.

Here is ii-V7-I from the bridge of Lee's Conformation solo in which he uses the altered scale:

edit: just realized that is very small and hard to read, click here for a full size version of the ii-V7-I: http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo59/tweddelltrumpet/ScreenShot2014-10-23at41845PM.png~original
1950/60's Couesnon Monopole Flugel
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I wrote way back about using tetrachords (first 4 notes of a scale):

The Bb minor tetrachord over C7 gives you the b7, root, b9 and #9. Much easier way to conceive your altered tones then trying to think of a Diminshed/wholetone scale, which incidently is a dim tetrachord and a whole tone tetrachord.
You can get a lot of mileage out of just your major and minor tetrachords by superimposing them over V7 chords. For example over C7alt you can use Bb min, Ab maj, C#min, Dmaj, etc.
Some other tetrachords that work over C7 alt are F#lydian, D#phrygian, E lydian, C# phrygian, Eb dorian.
Combine two tetrachords to create fun scales like this F#lydian+C# dorian = F# lydian dominant = C diminished wholetone!!
Or invent scales that have no name like C dorian + F# lydian.
This is just another approach to playing over altered V chords that I use and teach that seems easier to implement than the Jamey scale. Try it and let me know if it works for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: