• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Issues :(

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emilio,

With the Wick, you'd be pretty safe in going for the 4 or 4B, as they are the classic brass band sizes.

What you need for the proper Brass Band sound is a pretty deep mpc. - have a look at the Wicks in your local store and see how deep the cup is - try and go for a rim size you are comfortable with, but with that deep cup - it will help you with your sound.

You will find after a time, esp. if you move up to the solo line, that your endurance is notably better - a two hour rehearsal on rep or solo is a real workout. You'll still need to work on your high range on the trumpet, but you'll find you have more stamina to do so.

Brass Band parts rarely go higher than top C in my experience anyway.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Long & McQuade, it would not hurt to ask them to price match with TomLeeMusic.ca (Wick Heritage models sell there at CAD $115):
http://www.tomleemusic.ca/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=heritage+cornet

Regular Wicks sell at Tom Lee for CAD $53.95:
http://www.tomleemusic.ca/index.php/151728.html
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmilioBC wrote:
p76 wrote:
Emilio,

The advice given here is spot on, and you're going down the right path - you might find you struggle with the shape of the Wick rim (I do) - if so, the Curry BBC line is a fine alternative, and with a rim that is more similar to Bach products.

You'll still find the upper register harder work than on a trumpet, but the tuning should be better with a non-Bach mpc. Some of the tuning issues come down to the players (I'm always sharp on the top of the stave G on the cornet), so you might need to work with your colleagues to ensure you blend.

Welcome to the Brass Banding fraternity - once you're in, you're hooked!

Cheers,
Roger

I actually might not go with the Wick, they seem to have a limited selection of sizes at the store I go to. They have other companies, but they don't carry Curry. The 3BBC sounds so good, but should I really purchase something untested? It sounds risky to me.
And if the cornet high range is harder, would that help my trumpet range improve?

Hi

I really do believe that a Denis Wick mouthpiece would be one of the better choices on a Besson 927 Sovereign cornet.

I'm not sure what cup diameter you use on trumpet, but if it is around the Bach 3C which you are currently playing on cornet, I would say that a 4B or 3B should be a good choice initally, with you maybe switching to a 4 or 3 once you have become a bit more used to cornet and Brass Band cornet mouthpieces. A switch from a Bach 3C to a deep no letter cup Denis Wick may be a bit too much in one go (A no letter cup Denis Wick has a cup deeper than a Bach flugel mouthpiece cup), especially with you also being new to cornet and in your band.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
...I really do believe that a Denis Wick mouthpiece would be one of the better choices on a Besson 927 Sovereign cornet.

I'm not sure what cup diameter you use on trumpet, but if it is around the Bach 3C which you are currently playing on cornet, I would say that a 4B or 3B should be a good choice initally, with you maybe switching to a 4 or 3 once you have become a bit more used to cornet and Brass Band cornet mouthpieces. A switch from a Bach 3C to a deep no letter cup Denis Wick may be a bit too much in one go (A no letter cup Denis Wick has a cup deeper than a Bach flugel mouthpiece cup), especially with you also being new to cornet and in your band...

This is good advice!
EmilioBC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
EmilioBC wrote:
p76 wrote:
Emilio,

The advice given here is spot on, and you're going down the right path - you might find you struggle with the shape of the Wick rim (I do) - if so, the Curry BBC line is a fine alternative, and with a rim that is more similar to Bach products.

You'll still find the upper register harder work than on a trumpet, but the tuning should be better with a non-Bach mpc. Some of the tuning issues come down to the players (I'm always sharp on the top of the stave G on the cornet), so you might need to work with your colleagues to ensure you blend.

Cheers,
Roger

I actually might not go with the Wick, they seem to have a limited selection of sizes at the store I go to. They have other companies, but they don't carry Curry. The 3BBC sounds so good, but should I really purchase something untested? It sounds risky to me.
And if the cornet high range is harder, would that help my trumpet range improve?

Hi

I really do believe that a Denis Wick mouthpiece would be one of the better choices on a Besson 927 Sovereign cornet.

I'm not sure what cup diameter you use on trumpet, but if it is around the Bach 3C which you are currently playing on cornet, I would say that a 4B or 3B should be a good choice initally, with you maybe switching to a 4 or 3 once you have become a bit more used to cornet and Brass Band cornet mouthpieces. A switch from a Bach 3C to a deep no letter cup Denis Wick may be a bit too much in one go (A no letter cup Denis Wick has a cup deeper than a Bach flugel mouthpiece cup), especially with you also being new to cornet and in your band.

Take Care

Lou

I am leaning toward the 4B or 4BW over the 3's. The Wick site says the 3 has a brighter and more soloistic sound, which is not what I am aiming for I don't think. I just hope they carry those or I can order one quickly.
I am actually so excited to play cornet with the new mouthpiece, it has been such a battle so far. What are the chances that I would get the only Besson that the band even owns!
Blue Saints Drum and Bugle Corps '15
Yamaha 6335HSII 301xxx + Warburton 3MD/B8
Bach Strad CL w/229 & 25A, 265xxx
Yamaha YCR 8335 cornet + Bach 3C
King 1121 Mellophone + King Mello 6
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they do not carry the BW models, you can order one from www.dfmusicinc.com (all sizes available)

Regular Wicks, all sizes are available as well.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmilioBC wrote:

I am leaning toward the 4B or 4BW over the 3's. The Wick site says the 3 has a brighter and more soloistic sound, which is not what I am aiming for I don't think. I just hope they carry those or I can order one quickly.
I am actually so excited to play cornet with the new mouthpiece, it has been such a battle so far. What are the chances that I would get the only Besson that the band even owns!

I'm not sure what whoever wrote the blurb on the website was getting at there. The 3's and 4's are very similar in design apart from cup diameter. I'm not convinced it's possible to make useful generalisations about the difference in sound between them - IMO it really comes down to which is a better fit for the player. What mouthpiece do you use on trumpet?

Mike
SirBuzzALot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I would not read too much in to the wick site explanations the 3B's are just a little wider in the inner diameter and are pretty similar to the 4B's they are not any brighter. I have a 2B, 3B, 3B heritage, 4B, 4, 5B in my collection.
The bigger difference is between the B cup and no letter models.

I use the 4 (no letter) but its hard work (but amazing sound). I use the 4B or 3B H if i'm struggling. I would try the 4B (or 4B Heritage) as a good starting point.

Also a good idea to listen to some of the top cornet soloists such as this guy.....

Link

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmilioBC wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
EmilioBC wrote:
p76 wrote:
Emilio,

Cheers,
Roger

Hi

Take Care

Lou

Hi

I'm not sure what the Denis Wick says, but I wouldn't worry about the 3 having a brighter sound. It definitely will not have a brighter sound than a 4B or 4BW, as it has the much deeper no letter cup depth.

I also wouldn't worry about the 3B being brighter than the 4B. I am fairly sure that they have basically the same rim and same cup shape, and differ predominantly in terms of cup diameter.

In my opinion, it is the case of finding the best cup diameter for you. What mouthpiece do you use on trumpet?

Take Care

Lou

P.S. Sorry I have just read the rest of the replies, and have realised that I am only saying what has already been said.
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
EmilioBC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
EmilioBC wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
EmilioBC wrote:
p76 wrote:
Emilio,

Cheers,
Roger

Hi

Take Care

Lou

Hi

I'm not sure what the Denis Wick says, but I wouldn't worry about the 3 having a brighter sound. It definitely will not have a brighter sound than a 4B or 4BW, as it has the much deeper no letter cup depth.

I also wouldn't worry about the 3B being brighter than the 4B. I am fairly sure that they have basically the same rim and same cup shape, and differ predominantly in terms of cup diameter.

In my opinion, it is the case of finding the best cup diameter for you. What mouthpiece do you use on trumpet?

Take Care

Lou

P.S. Sorry I have just read the rest of the replies, and have realised that I am only saying what has already been said.

I play on a Reeves 42C69 (the screw rim is actually stuck right now and so far nothing has worked to unscrew it).
The store I am going to tomorrow currently has one 4B on hold for me, thank you all so much for the advice!
Blue Saints Drum and Bugle Corps '15
Yamaha 6335HSII 301xxx + Warburton 3MD/B8
Bach Strad CL w/229 & 25A, 265xxx
Yamaha YCR 8335 cornet + Bach 3C
King 1121 Mellophone + King Mello 6
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmilioBC wrote:

I play on a Reeves 42C69 (the screw rim is actually stuck right now and so far nothing has worked to unscrew it).
The store I am going to tomorrow currently has one 4B on hold for me, thank you all so much for the advice!

Sorry, didn't spot the info in your signature. The 4B will feel much closer to a Reeves 42 than the 3/3B. Good luck!

Mike
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmilioBC wrote:

Hi

Thank you very much for the further clarification.

In my opinion, a Denis Wick 4B will have a nearer cup diameter to your Reeves 42C than a Denis Wick 3B, which to me feels larger than a Bach 3C.

Hopefully the 4B will turn out well for you.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are discussing pieces in the Wick 4 range, I just want to interject that I have a Yamaha David King mouthpiece which is in that range, but for me much more comfortable to play than the Wicks and it has a teeny bit more resistance, it seems. It sounds GLORIOUS.
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree about the David King mpc. I found it much more comfortable than the standard Wicks and it does produce a fantastic sound.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice to go for something short-shanked is good - if a Wick works for you then go for it, if not there are other choices. Wicks are the most common over here (UK) but the rims are quite uncomfortable for a lot of players.

There are a surprising number of good short-shanked cornet mouthpieces if you find you don't like the wicks though...

A few I've played and liked:
- Yamaha's 16E and David King Models are good.
- Warburton's BC cups/backbores have an appropriate sound, much tighter throat may or may not be an issue.
- Sparx no-letters are good, though the sound is a fair bit brighter than these others (not quite Wick-B bright).
- Marcinkiewicz 5XW is a super (and rarely mentioned) mouthpiece that I really enjoy (I prefer it to my Sparx 3).
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirBuzzALot wrote:
Also a good idea to listen to some of the top cornet soloists such as this guy.....

Link

Thanks for posting this video. Richard Marshall sounds great!
Piccolo Stomvi
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Other mouthpieces which I like on the 927 Sovereign are the Schilke V3, Curry 3VC (the Curry BBC cup wasn't available when I had my 927 Sovereign, but my memory of the 3VC on the 927 Sovereign is that I like it more than the Curry 3BBC on the 928 Sovereign (I prefer the 928 Sovereign to the 927)), Yamaha 16E and Sparx 4 (I never had the chance to try the Sparx 3).

http://www.schilkemusic.com/products/mouthpieces

http://currympc.com/index.php?id=49

http://www.sparxmusic.com/cnt_products-sparx-mouthpieces.shtml

I do however believe that the Denis Wick mouthpieces are a great match to the Sovereign. The Alliance mouthpieces, which are very similar to the Denis Wick models, but with a 3B being equivalent to a 4B, are an alternative.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmilioBC wrote:
The 3BBC sounds so good, but should I really purchase something untested? It sounds risky to me.

You have not stated what rim size you play on trumpet. And if you buy through mouthpiece express, you can return whatever does not work for you. I highly suggest if at all possible, have them ship out at least a few for you to try, and only keep something if it really works. The only drawback with Curry's line of mouthpieces is you will find (and want!) so many different mouthpieces! Each has its own use that it will work really well for. Curry is one of the very few manufacturers that makes a truly consistent rim, and of those that do he's the cheapest, and by a a good bit. With no sacrifice in quality.

EmilioBC wrote:

Yes and no. It will not immediately help you increase the highest note you can play on trumpet. What it MAY do, if you approach each instrument with the right mindset, is make the highest note(s) you can play effortlessly and with great command and control go up a bit on trumpet, after maybe a few weeks of really consistent intelligent practice.

And from there you may notice an actual increase in your highest playable notes go up a bit on trumpet, over the course of maybe 2 - 3 months. IF you adopt the habit of always putting the horn down while your chops still feel good! You can pick it up after a few minutes of letting them feel good. Your other option is to not realize how much you over-did it, and beat your chops into the ground, not even realizing it. That has yet to increase anyone's range.

In the meantime, you have found new joy with some brass plumbing in your hand! Surely the world is now a better place. And welcome to TH!

Last edited by razeontherock on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirBuzzALot wrote:

Link

Wow! BBB, you say? Hmmm ... about the closest we have to that here is the Better Business Bureau.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmilioBC wrote:

Look on Warburton's site for mouthpieces. He has a good little tutorial video, (hosted on youtube I think) that shows a neat trick to fix this.

And good luck with your 4B!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: