• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yoga Breathing Techniques

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Yoga Breathing Techniques Reply with quote

In one of his You Tube "teaching" tapes, Maynard Ferguson discussed his approach to playing. One of the issues he hit upon was developing the proper breathing techniques. He recommended that we should consult a book on "Yoga's Approach to Breathing" (my paraphrasing here). Can anyone tell me what the title of the book he was referred to as the tape got a bit fuzzy or garbled around that time. Getting the Yoga book might make interesting reading - and maybe there is something valuable there for me to adopt. Thanks
Tom Kieren
Oak Ridge, NJ
Tel: 973-214-6473
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's the 1903 book, The Hindu-Yogi Science Of Breath, by Yogi Ramacharaka. It's in public domain can be found on Project Guttenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13402

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
connormckay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try taking a few Bikram Yoga classes. It could improve your breathing incredibly!
gelatinshoehorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Skip the book. Take a class. Yoga is not the kind of thing you should try to learn from a book. Kinda like trumpet playing: get a teacher.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Skip the book. Take a class. Yoga is not the kind of thing you should try to learn from a book.

Quote:
Maynard Ferguson discussed his approach to playing. One of the issues he hit upon was developing the proper breathing techniques. He recommended that we should consult a book
[/quote]
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
tworld

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not read, and take yoga classes too.

The basis of breathing is: 1. Posture. 2. Relaxed Focus.

Posture.

Breathing is like Golf. Without the correct form, or posture, success is limited.

In yoga, posture is referred to as "asana". Asana is the first step in yoga.
There are many "asanas" for many purposes, but the core asana is the position where the spine is straight, shoulders relaxed. It is not a stiff position, but rather, a relaxed position. In yoga meditation, it is possible to be comfortable in this position for extended periods of time, without moving at all. Try it. Find that position where the spine is straight, shoulders relaxed. Just by being in this position, you feel relaxed, free, and concentrated at the same time. Energy flows up and down the spine with no restrictions. No discomfort intrudes. You can remain quite still, and continue to feel comfortable.

Breathing.

Once you find that position, close your eyes and focus your attention on your breath. Simply take note of your breathing. Let the thoughts that enter your mind pass through, and return your attention to your breathing. Try this for 15 seconds at first. Then try again, and increase the time. Simply note the breath coming in, then going out. Let the thoughts pass, do not hold on to them or react to them. Return your focus to your breathing. Focus your attention on your breathing. When your attention wanders bring it back to focus on your breathing. Go for longer and longer periods with perfect concentration.

This is the basis of breathing. You find that you do not have to do anything. You breath automatically, with no effort or thought. By continuing to practice this for longer and longer periods, you develop fierce concentration out of relaxation, which puts you in a perfect position to handle the technical and musical challenges, and experience the music fully.

Bring this to your playing and breathing will take care of its self for the most part.

A prominent symphonic player I studied with had me do similar exercises at the beginning of the practice session.

I recently watched 2 relevant Berlin Phil Sara Willis videos on YouTube.

Phil Myers, NY Phil principal horn talks about how he approaches solos from a point of being empty so he is free to be filled completely with the experience of the music.

Christian Lindberg, at the age of 35 after studying every conceivable method of breathing, finally discovered yoga breathing and has never turned back.

Phil Meyers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-m20Ao2rb4 go to 24:15

Christian Lindberg
https://www.youtube.com/user/hornmatters/search?query=lindberg go to 33:30
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I'd have never thought it was so complex. All these decades I thought it was sucking air in, letting it out, repeating. Now I find out that I need to read books and take classes. Who would have known that breathing was so complicated?

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jungledoc wrote:
Wow. I'd have never thought it was so complex.

It's not. Some people just want to know as much of the physiology as they can.

I've been reading a book about Cichowicz' teaching. If there's one concept that keeps repeating itself, it's keeping things simple, e.g. "how do I inhale"? "Yawn". "How do I exhale?", "cough".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jungledoc wrote:
Wow. I'd have never thought it was so complex. All these decades I thought it was sucking air in, letting it out, repeating. Now I find out that I need to read books and take classes. Who would have known that breathing was so complicated?

Me too. But then I must be a natural at it. I can even do it when I'm asleep.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jungledoc wrote:

Yeah, it's too bad MF was hung up on thinking about this breathing. Just think what he could have accomplished otherwise.

DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere out in my garage I have a stack of old 1980s MF newsletters and I recall in one where he talks about the cleansing breath and some other techniques for opening up and supporting our breathing. If I come across this material, I'll post it here. He also mentioned/demonstrated this same technique in a master class I attended in the 80s. Cool stuff really.

crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no judgment of whether taking a yoga class is good or bad. It's something one could do if one wanted to experience what a yoga teacher does. One may find it beneficial.

The question was, what is the book that Maynard was talking about? As was already answered, it is "The Science of Breath" by Ramacharaka. It was written in the early 1900's by a Yogi. I found it helpful. Not in how to breathe, but in ways to counteract the limitations on natural function imposed by modern western lifestyle. Of course we can all breathe. We can walk too - to the couch, car, desk etc. Much different than what our bodies were designed to do. Many problems or issues would likely solve themselves if people walked as much as they were designed to. Oh, and breathed as they were designed to as well.

I believe Maynard showed the book to Bud Brisbois and Bobby Shew. Probably not worth reading . . .
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavesTrumpet wrote:
Yeah, it's too bad MF was hung up on thinking about this breathing. Just think what he could have accomplished otherwise.
Probably exactly the same things he did by doing what came naturally to him! Just because he got hung up on a complicated explanation of what he was doing doesn't mean he wouldn't have done just as well by ignoring all the myths and superstitions about breathing. He wasn't a great trumpet player BECAUSE of yoga. He was a great trumpet player who did yoga.

crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that you knew him. Did you show him your TR300?
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:

I'm talking about the difference between attribution and causation. Just because someone does 2 things (like yoga and great trumpet playing) doesn't mean that one caused the other.

Do you just enjoy being insulting?

nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tworld wrote:
Why not read, and take yoga classes too.

The basis of breathing is: 1. Posture. 2. Relaxed Focus.

Posture.

Breathing is like Golf. Without the correct form, or posture, success is limited.

In yoga, posture is referred to as "asana". Asana is the first step in yoga.
There are many "asanas" for many purposes, but the core asana is the position where the spine is straight, shoulders relaxed. It is not a stiff position, but rather, a relaxed position. In yoga meditation, it is possible to be comfortable in this position for extended periods of time, without moving at all. Try it. Find that position where the spine is straight, shoulders relaxed. Just by being in this position, you feel relaxed, free, and concentrated at the same time. Energy flows up and down the spine with no restrictions. No discomfort intrudes. You can remain quite still, and continue to feel comfortable.

Breathing.

Once you find that position, close your eyes and focus your attention on your breath. Simply take note of your breathing. Let the thoughts that enter your mind pass through, and return your attention to your breathing. Try this for 15 seconds at first. Then try again, and increase the time. Simply note the breath coming in, then going out. Let the thoughts pass, do not hold on to them or react to them. Return your focus to your breathing. Focus your attention on your breathing. When your attention wanders bring it back to focus on your breathing. Go for longer and longer periods with perfect concentration.

This is the basis of breathing. You find that you do not have to do anything. You breath automatically, with no effort or thought. By continuing to practice this for longer and longer periods, you develop fierce concentration out of relaxation, which puts you in a perfect position to handle the technical and musical challenges, and experience the music fully.

Bring this to your playing and breathing will take care of its self for the most part.

A prominent symphonic player I studied with had me do similar exercises at the beginning of the practice session.

I recently watched 2 relevant Berlin Phil Sara Willis videos on YouTube.

Phil Myers, NY Phil principal horn talks about how he approaches solos from a point of being empty so he is free to be filled completely with the experience of the music.

Christian Lindberg, at the age of 35 after studying every conceivable method of breathing, finally discovered yoga breathing and has never turned back.

Phil Meyers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-m20Ao2rb4 go to 24:15

Christian Lindberg
https://www.youtube.com/user/hornmatters/search?query=lindberg go to 33:30

Uh, excuse me? Breathing is like GOLF!!!??? In actuality, you posture matters very little, it has more to do with truly understanding how air accelerates on the way out, and also accelerates on the way IN.

I know this because I have practiced Korean deep breathing as a kid, and Eastern breathing is FAR more advanced than SOUTHERN ASIAN philosophies. The only reason I believe Westerners constantly look to India is simply as a consequence of British Colonization.

Just like cooking, the Asian cultures have superior food in terms of efficiency and health simply because they have done it for much longer. Remember, spagetti is NOT I-talian:)

TRUMPET is LIKE GOLF. Breathing is ACTUALLY like BLINKING, but for some strange reason, when you put a horn on the lips, the brain breaks down because it tries to do something unatural, which you think creates the sound of trumpet.

Use some common sense. Are athletes always competing or trying to take breaths in between plays using perfect posture? Yoga breathing is all about awareness of one's own breath, what areas of the body are responsible for it. It is in effect, feeding your 3rd eye/pineal gland, SENSORY INFORMATION. So through yoga, like form running for track, can help refine a technique make you a better breather, primarily in that...YOU GET IN THE HABIT OF ALWAYS TAKING IN A RELAXED FULL BREATH.

But yoga, like most trumpet methods, are just too damn gentle to really glean the true benefits, dare i say even benefits that feel spiritual.

In short, the best way to contemplate creation is in a semi concious very tension free state, but you will NEVER get there unless you really push yourself.

Nacho's 2 cents. Peace.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by crzytptman on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jungledoc wrote:
crzytptman wrote:

I'm talking about the difference between attribution and causation. Just because someone does 2 things (like yoga and great trumpet playing) doesn't mean that one caused the other.

Do you just enjoy being insulting?

You think I'm being insulting? The MAN spoke out of his own mouth about that book. He went on to study the discipline, and even showed the book to 2 other monster players who are proud to have heeded his advice. And yet, you insinuate that he was a simpleton who didn't really understand what he was doing and associated some arbitrary philosophy with his prowess on the trumpet. Like he was duped.

Man, you're a piece of work.
nvidal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is talking about Korean deep breathing, imo, is absolutey the best for trumpet/brass playing, SUPERIOR to YOGA, simply because it's ALL about acceleration! To run through a wall, one must have every intent before charging at it, that the impact point is NOT the WALL but a few feet after it, so you follow through.

Detach yourself from emotion dear reader, and GO STUDY IT, before either chiming in with your worthless opinion of my well vetted thinking and statements. TRY IT, before you KNOCK IT.

Go ahead you losers who enjoy interfering with TRUMPET conversation.

The trumpet is absolutely the most challenging puzzle known to humanity. It would be much easier to learn without all the childish distraction. There are lurkers here who actually want to learn. I was one of the a decade ago;)

Korean breathing > Yoga breathing
poprishchin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvidal wrote:
No one is talking about Korean deep breathing, imo, is absolutey the best for trumpet/brass playing

I Googled Korean deep breathing and got mostly nsfw results. Can you recommend a site or video series that explains this breathing technique?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: