• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Players Distinct Sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonnie123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Players Distinct Sounds Reply with quote

Hey All, I searched for this topic and couldnt really find anything on it

It's always been interesting to me that certain players (I'm sure all) have their own Unique signature sound. Some very recognizable ones that come to mind for me are:

Maynard had that huge, fat, blow-the-roof-off sound

Paul Cacia and Wayne Bergeron have a very focused, "laser beam" like sound, although they each have their own sound as well.

Doc had that very bright, triumphant sound

What accounts for this? Even on different trumpets they have the same sound , so its not solely the equipment, even though its the trumpet that is vibrating.

What is everyone's take here?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The player is the single largest contributor to sound. Give a pro a student horn and they'll probably sound a good deal like they do on their chosen equipment. I'm not saying sound will be identical and I certainly bet the effort required will be different.

I'm sure it's not exactly the same but I like to watch the bassoon and oboe players slave away on their reeds, endlessly filing and soaking them to get them to sound and respond exactly right. Trumpet player endlessly refine their lips to get them to sound and respond just right.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Lonnie123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJjyLCOmxxY

But what exactly is it that makes them sound so different?

Here is Wayne on a Plastic trumpet, sounding quite "wayne-like" ... Its crazy to me. Even on an instrument with a different composition he still has that sound, which is undeniably him.
JohnSnell
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accomplished players have the sound they want to create in their mind. They can then (usually subconsciously) manipulate their lips, mouth, and air to get that sound.

This makes equipment irrelevant, at least in the short term. The amount of adjustment needed by player may eventually take away from the music-making process either because their focus shifts to sound production instead of the music, or the physical adjustment wears on their endurance.
Facebook
Twitter
The Other Side of the Bell - A Trumpet Podcast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: