• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roy Hargrove

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeWats
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard Roy Hargrove live? I will be attending one of his concerts in January.

JW
reverend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Roy live twice, once in Delaware at the Willmington Jazz Festival with his own group. Most recently, I heard him with Brecker, Patitucci, Blade, and Hancock in Toronto (the concert they turned into a cd "Directions in Music"...that's MY clapping on there!).

Roy is beyond his years. I don't know why his doesn't get more attention. His ideas are always interesting and well executed. His flugel tone is fluffy/airy, but also somewhat haunting...maybe even gloomy. I've been meaning to get his record with strings. Enjoy the concert.

Patrick
jazzbebopswing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Roy" is a BAD "Boy"! Very creative with and excellent mind for improversation and interpretation.

I've heard Roy live at least five times over the years and have never been let down. He blows a lot of other performers, who get more press, away. And, he's a damn hard worker.

What more can I say. Enjoy and, Happy holidays.

Mark
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's at the village vanguard in NYC with Cedar Walton tonight for the last time, filling in all week for jackie maclean who couldn't make the gig (??) i'm going....
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO SEE HIM...He is great. Even his new stuff is great playing and listening. I too have seen him a few times...with his own crew and with the Miles/Wayne Shorter tribute group. Saw him one night at Scullers in Cambridge, MA, and he left the stage walked into the glass enclosed elevator in the atrium at the hotel and continued to play to the hotel lobey all the way up to the top floor. He plays balads and standards as well as anyone playing today. The tone he gets from the Thomas Inderbinen Silver Art trumpet and Wood flugel that he uses is exceptional. I also caught him with the quintet at the great little (and I hope it stays that way) Litchfield Jazz Festival. He is young and truly great. Check out Nicholas Payton if you get a chance and there is a new and younger player from New Orleans that I am told may be the next in line...Christian Scott. Protege' of sax player Big Chief Donald Harrison, who is a ply-mate of Terence Blanchard. Man, there are great players out there...Support Live Jazz. kpb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: