• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso on the piccolo trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudas1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if, first of all, anyone has tried Caruso stuff on the piccolo, and secondly if the experts on the forum would even recommend it. I have heard that just playing the six notes on whatever secondary instrument produces good results.

Thanks for the advice-Rudas
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say, yes. You could probably treat it as a second instrument.

The only thing I remember Carmine saying about learning a second instrument is to always finish up by playing a little on your main ax, to leave that taste on your chops at the end of the day.
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmine told me that playing piccolo was good for your chops. He said that it gave you a "taste" for the notes up there. He didn't tell me to do any of his exercises on the piccolo, just to play music on it occasionally.

Tom
TopGun
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomba51,

Did he say much about how much time you should spend on it a day? How many days a week?

Regards,
TopGun
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top Gun,

No, I don't remember Carmine saying how much to practice the piccolo. He just said that if you have a piccolo, it would help you to get used to playing in the high register. Carmine would say that it would give you a "taste" of the high register. Note that he did not recommend that pupils go out and buy a piccolo for the sole purpose of practicing the high register. He just thought that, if you already have one. a little practice on it might be beneficial. He did not prescribe any special exercises for it to me.

Tom
TopGun
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fot the info Tom.

TG
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you play the exercises an octave up?

Also, and it's likely I just missed it, but when moving to a second (3rd, 4th, whatever) instrument do you do the same (complete) routine, or a shorter version? FWIW, I've tried the six notes, one interval (2nds, 3rds, 4ths, or 5ths -- not all, usually I just "picc" one ), and tonguing on picc and flugelhorn. VERY likely just me, but that's about all I can take before pooping out (I usually have to practice immediately following, as I only get one session a day on my "other" horns). I've started looking at the developed scales (what annoyingly humbling exercises for me!) and they seem like a good candidates to add to the picc work.

Comments?

Thanks! - Don (ever curious)
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Carmine never told me that it was necessary to practice his exercises on flugel or piccolo (I never asked him about C trumpet or D trumpet). He would have me do the exercises on my primary horn (trumpet). After practicing my Caruso routine on the trumpet, I would practice musical studies (as opposed to the Caruso calisthenics). Sometimes this would include playing on the piccolo or the flugel. Carmine never prescribed that I should do his exercises on these instruments, although doing the 6 notes certainly would not hurt you. He mentioned in passing that practicing on the piccolo would give you a "taste" of the high register, BUT CARMINE DID NOT RECOMMEND THAT ONE SHOULD BUY A PICCOLO WITH THE INTENTION OF USING IT TO IMPROVE THE HIGH REGISTER. Doing his exercises on trumpet is enough to improve your high register.

Just practice your Caruso stuff on your primary horn. Save the piccolo and flugel for when you're done with your Caruso for the day, and you're practicing music.

Hope this helps.

Tom
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tom, that helps a lot. I didn't buy my picc to improve my high range, just to make it a bit more secure and to get "that" sound. (Or try, anyway, and I'm talkin' Maurice here and not the sick goose sound I usually get! I find it better to improve my high register on my big horns first. One well-known player/teacher commented that, until a player had a secure high (concert) F, he had no business with a picc. Not sure I buy that, but the picc certainly tends to exaggerate problems, not mask them, at least for me!

Best wishes,
Don
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-22 17:22, tomba51 wrote:
Carmine told me that playing piccolo was good for your chops. He said that it gave you a "taste" for the notes up there. He didn't tell me to do any of his exercises on the piccolo, just to play music on it occasionally.

Tom

When I used to frequently play piccolo trumpet (e.g. M. Haydn’s Concerto), I noticed that my upper register did seem to be stronger when I went to pick up my B-flat trumpet. Those were the days when I focused more on classical music. I would not pick it up for that purpose, but I do believe that what Carmine said to Tom is true. Now I play lead trumpet and have a better "taste" for those notes.

Janell Carter
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my performance of the second movement from the Michael Haydn Concerto recorded in 2003 and performed on a piccolo trumpet. This is when I was taking lessons with Laurie Frink. I give credit to Laurie for helping me to get my chops back together to play it again and to my dedication to the study of Caruso.
http://course.wilkes.edu/trumpet/sound/

Enjoy!

Janell

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
highbrassplayer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time should you play 6 notes? Right after your warm-up or at the end of the day?
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is best to play Caruso on a fresh set of chops. If you play it on tired chops, your will be manipulating your lips. (Thanks to Laurie Frink for this tip in my lessons with her and the FLEXUS book).

Janell

---
---
butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 notes is a warm-up.
Play them all consecutively, is what I was taught. Of course, when you get to the rests, you rest as long as you played. Gotta do it.

As for picc...
I don't know the answer to "WWCD", What Would Caruso Do/teach, but having studied the picc for a few solid months last semester and being successful at it, I had no trouble NOT doing Caruso on the picc.
Fully warm up/Caruso on the big horn, then all you need are a few notes and slurs on the picc to get acclimatized and you are ready.

I can't imagine doing the calisthenics on the picc and not getting seriously drained, though 6 notes probably wouldn't be that bad...IMO it's unnecessary.

FWIW, I disagree with the "playing picc increases your high register" idea. You have to be able to play high to play picc.

My .02.
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play Caruso early on in my practice. Laurie Frink would ask before my lessons if I had played much that day. It was fine if you played some, but not too much, according to her.

I do not think that playing on a piccolo trumpet increases your range either. My range on piccolo trumpet is very similar to that on a B-flat trumpet. It just gives you a "taste" for these notes and makes the notes that you can already play possibly stronger.

What will increase your range is Caruso. Then you are closer to having a range to play piccolo. I was reading in a book where Ingrid Jensen was interviewed and commented on her studies with Laurie Frink. Ingrid said that Caruso really did wonders for her range.

Janell

---
---
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've re-recorded the second movement from the Michael Haydn Concerto at the Bunker Studio in Brooklyn, NY and it is now back up on my website:

http://static4.mathcs.wilkes.edu/Gems/trumpet/M.Haydn.wav

I am thankful to Laurie for the lessons that she gave to me and to Jon Crowley for the lessons that he has given to me...

Thanks for listening!

Janell

---
---
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Janell! Sounding good.
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tom!

Janell

---
---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: