• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Grad schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smileyk92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Grad schools Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a prospective grad student and I'm researching different schools along with teachers. Could anyone out there tell me more about either Matt Lee at DePaul, Craig Morris at U of Miami? I'm mainly interested in their teaching styles, schools of thought, and how you feel you benefitted from working with them. Thanks!
Wagner Felix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I hope to help you with my impressions.

I'm Wagner Felix, a Brazilian trumpeter and former student at DePaul University. I got my Master's Degree in 2012.

DePaul is a great school, the faculty is amazing and very professional. The school's program is intense and the orchestral program even more. It will be two years of your life of high level of playing and learning. If you wanna becoming a professional musician, everyone in the school will support you. There are many CSO's members teaching there, so I'm sure your experience as a brass student will be fantastic.

Mr. Lee has a huge experience to teach the trumpet in all levels. He can help you in what you need. He's a great trumpet player, his piccolo playing is outstanding! As a teacher, he is very calm and will give good tips how to practice and how to improve to be a better musician and person. He helped me a lot, he understood my difficulties and proposed good solutions, always with a lot of respect and confidence. He made me think about a bunch of things that I've never thought before.

Also, the other trumpet professor Matthew Comerford is Co-Assistant Principal Trumpet at Lyric Opera in Chicago. I didn't have chance to work with him. Because at that time, Tage Larsen was the professor, that for me, it was another great experience. So I could work with Mr. Larsen and Mr. Lee.

To live in Chicago is a such nice experience. The city is beautiful even in the Winter, be prepared because it's really cold! On the other hand, you can see CSO every week if you want. Jazz and blues clubs around the town are good too.

The whole experience is worth. I strong recommend DePaul.

Regards from Brazil!

Good luck!
Don Juan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Smileyk92

Like Wagner, I also attended DePaul University (2014) for my graduate studies.

I studied extensively with Matt Lee during my time there. I came into DePaul with a good orchestral sound and a good understanding of musicality and phrasing. However, I struggled with some fundamental techniques.

As frustrated as I was with my struggles, Matt was understanding and patient. We focused on playing the trumpet more efficiently. I had tremendous growth from day one to my final recital. I am extremely appreciative of his cool demeanor and guidance.

As Wagner wrote, Matt has a ton of experience to draw from. It was wonderful to be able to hear my teacher play solo recitals, with Lyric Opera, with CSO, etc etc etc.

And Matt is just one of 4 teachers at DePaul. Tage Larsen is there, as well as recent additions in two great players from the Lyric Opera, Matthew Commerford, and Bill Denton.

A strong trumpet program in addition to the fantastic DePaul Symphony Orchestra makes for a wonderful place to grow as a musician.

Mark Petersen
mattfrost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you asked about DePaul and U of Miami...but, I have to chime in about Roosevelt University (Chicago College of Performing Arts) because I got so much out of my time there studying with Channing Philbrick. One of the best choices I ever made. If you're in Chicago at DePaul it would be worth your time to check out Roosevelt too, as it's right downtown.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frost-Custom-Brass/102833176512549
mbtrpt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I did my undergrad at DePaul with Matt Lee (BM 2013), and I can't recommend him, or the school, enough. Matt is patient but has high standards, and his students get real results because he focuses his teaching on developing a good sound and solid fundamentals on which to build. He has experience overcoming issues on the trumpet and offers varied and effective suggestions, tailored to each student's particular needs, for resolving issues.

Additionally, and perhaps equally as important, Matt (along with the other DePaul trumpet professors) fosters an extremely healthy studio environment. The trumpet studio at DePaul is close-knit and although it is competitive, students push each other to improve and constantly trade advice and constructive feedback. Weekly studio class provides challenging and educational assignments as well as ample performance opportunities. Students are encouraged to develop their critical listening and critiquing skills.

The ensemble conductors at DePaul go out of their way to teach students proper section playing etiquette -- a lesson I've found to be invaluable. As a result, the trumpeters in the orchestra section understood their (rotating) roles, both in terms of technical playing aspects and in effective and healthy communication.

As Mark and Wagner mentioned, Matt and Tage have a wealth of experience to draw from and are active and in-demand trumpeters. Chicago is an amazing city to live in, and I am 100% satisfied with the trumpet education I received at DePaul. I would definitely recommend getting a lesson with Matt if you can (Like Mark, I can't speak to Prof. Comerford or Denton's teaching, as I have not worked with them, but I have heard excellent reviews from current students).

Megan Bailey
BM DePaul '13
MM University of Illinois '15 (anticipated)
mbtrpt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattfrost wrote:
I know you asked about DePaul and U of Miami...but, I have to chime in about Roosevelt University (Chicago College of Performing Arts) because I got so much out of my time there studying with Channing Philbrick. One of the best choices I ever made. If you're in Chicago at DePaul it would be worth your time to check out Roosevelt too, as it's right downtown.

^I also second this guy. ^

I did some work with Channing Philbrick back when NHSMI was a thing (Northwestern band camp). He is an excellent teacher and trumpeter!
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me and we can chat about Craig Morris.
trumpetgrill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I would also recommend the DePaul music school. Chicago is such an amazing city (except for the weather!!!). Being so close to the CSO, hearing Chris Martin and Co. Would be amazing!! Does anyone know if they offer student rush tickets?
Getzen 381 Series Bb Cornet 38
198x Jupiter 416 Pocket
Hickman "Five valve" edition trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: