• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

O Magnum Mysterium

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbtrpt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: O Magnum Mysterium Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Is there an arrangement of Morten Lauridsen's "O Magnum Mysterium" out there for brass quintet? I know there used to be one by Paul Garza out there, but it's been discontinued. Help?

Thanks!

Megan Bailey
BM DePaul '13
MM University of Illinois '15 (anticipated)
Olinhannum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO quintet doesn't really do the piece justice. I'm sure there's an arrangement out there, but the expansion of voices in the original is what gives the highpoint of the piece it's thickness and sound. A quintet isn't really going to have that kind of sound available.

That being said, I do have a 9 part arrangement if you want it.
deleted_user_1dac1c5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olinhannum wrote:
IMO quintet doesn't really do the piece justice. I'm sure there's an arrangement out there, but the expansion of voices in the original is what gives the highpoint of the piece it's thickness and sound. A quintet isn't really going to have that kind of sound available.

That being said, I do have a 9 part arrangement if you want it.

+1

I have a friend who plays horn who wrote an arrangement, and he said trying to break down the chords was essentially impossible, and he felt that the piece lost something with every 7 part chord he forced into 5 part.
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my absolute favorite choral pieces of all times.

It is stunningly beautiful, but as others have said, probably impossible to replicate with a brass quintet.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our brass band director wrote a beautiful arrangement for our band, but I agree that a quintet wouldn't be adequate for the piece.
bunny
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a brass choir arrangement of this. Can't do with just 5.
Can't remember exactly how many it was for. I know we used 4 flugels.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qcm wrote:
One of my absolute favorite choral pieces of all times.

It is stunningly beautiful, but as others have said, probably impossible to replicate with a brass quintet.

-Dave

Yeah. The truly excellent top choir at my college did this while I was there. Stunningly beautiful is right.

I understand the desire to arrange pieces like this for other ensembles. It's beautiful music. However, I have to say, it's usually pales in comparison to the original, in my estimation.

Barber's Adagio is the same for me. Lovely piece and it really needs the lush strings express itself. The same with things like Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis. I've heard brass arrangement of these and were really excited to hear them, because they're great works. Alas, there's a reason some pieces were composed for their specific mediums.

But, I suppose it's worth trying. You'll never know... There are a few arrangements of things I like better than the original - I think. I can't give an example.

So back to O Magnum Mysterium - Quintet is wildly insufficient for this. I've heard brass choirs do it... it's passable, but pale imitation. Frankly, trumpets are the wrong instrument for this texture. This is something that would benefit from more conical brass band instrumentation rather than trumpets and trombones. Cornets, Eb Cornet if necessary, Flugel and Euphonium for sure. The sonority would work better. Trumpets are just all wrong for this.

I've just heard it in it's original choral form and performed superbly, I don't think any other version will remotely measure up.

Frankly, there's just no way to accurately capture the magnificence of a superb choir - the lushness of voice, depth, the soaring sopranos, the fluidity. Sorry, not for me.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn

Last edited by Crazy Finn on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've keyed the original into Finale and tried to render both quintet and dectet arrangements. I don't think either are particularly successful. The biggest problem I have with this and similar choral works is that brass players get destroyed with the endless sustained phrases. I'll review them again tonight.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I've keyed the original into Finale and tried to render both quintet and dectet arrangements. I don't think either are particularly successful. The biggest problem I have with this and similar choral works is that brass players get destroyed with the endless sustained phrases. I'll review them again tonight.

Yeah, among the many things that are hard to replicate is the ability of a choir to just sustain. It's a similar issue with strings, they can just keep going. It's hard to get the smoothness of a string section in brass instruments - after all, we articulate, breathe...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a really outstanding commercial brass band arrangement of it, but I think it would be difficult to do with a quintet like others have said.

Even so, one of the few things where I still prefer the choral version.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've reviewed my quintet setting and I don't hate it. Seems to me it works best down a step from concert D to concert C. The larger ensemble setting does sound better and there's a tad more rest for some players but not much.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
diehltpt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pittsburgh Symphony Brass has a great recording of this piece on what I believe is their most recent Christmas CD, "A Song of Christmas". Not sure who the arranger is, but regardless of if you think quintet is sufficient for this piece check it out just for the unbelievable playing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-song-of-christmas/id294116179
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehltpt wrote:
The Pittsburgh Symphony Brass has a great recording of this piece on what I believe is their most recent Christmas CD, "A Song of Christmas". Not sure who the arranger is, but regardless of if you think quintet is sufficient for this piece check it out just for the unbelievable playing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-song-of-christmas/id294116179

Very nice playing.

I found a YouTube clip, for those without iTunes who wish to hear the whole thing.

Link

It doesn't change my opinion, but very nice nonetheless.

Also, found a clip of my college's choir singing it during the Christmas Concerts back then. Quality's not superb, but it's a VHS transfer. Isn't the internet amazing?

Link

Brings back good memories...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: