• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Range Practice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Range Practice Reply with quote

I try to get in at least two practice sessions a day. The first session I like to work a bit on range. My question is: is the concept of muscle confusion that's used in fitness worthwhile in range practice? Eg, does it make sense to do a different routine each day, say CG one day, then Caruso the next, then maybe Vizzutti the next etc? Or do the chops like consistency in this endeavor meaning pick one and stay with it. Just curious. Thank you. John
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the best results for myself and my students through a consistent approach. You need to set yourself up for success through creating reliable results. There are many excellent resources on range development available today. I would suggest to work with a teacher who has a great upper register and stick to one plan for a while. Development takes time, usually several years. Like all facets of trumpet playing, range is just one of many. It should not be held in higher regard than things like the basic production of a beautiful sound, articulation, musical phrasing, and so on. And, just like becoming great at anything else, practice, persistence, patience, and consistency are a must.

Keep at it!
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Range Practice Reply with quote

JohnO wrote:
I try to get in at least two practice sessions a day. The first session I like to work a bit on range. My question is: is the concept of muscle confusion that's used in fitness worthwhile in range practice? Eg, does it make sense to do a different routine each day, say CG one day, then Caruso the next, then maybe Vizzutti the next etc? Or do the chops like consistency in this endeavor meaning pick one and stay with it. Just curious. Thank you. John

The upper register is all about finesse, not muscle.

Slow and steady wins the race, not staggered sets to build big biceps (or lips in this case).

The higher you get the closer the slots become, so you need your chops to be as relaxed and responsive as possible.
1948 Holton Model 48
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Range Practice Reply with quote

JohnO wrote:

Switching like that sounds like a formula for disaster. Within each invidual methodology there should be sufficient variation to keep you engaged. But to be clear individual methods typically draw from many different texts. I know the CG method does.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
BIGBUSHI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gbdeamer said.
Brasspire C Trumpet
YouSellingYou.com
Online Reputation Management
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Range Practice Reply with quote

JohnO wrote:
"Muscle confusion" is a myth that doesn't lead to anything useful in any aspect of fitness. Muscles don't think, muscles don't remember, they can't be confused. So I doubt that "muscle confusion" would benefit you in trumpet playing, either. A person, on the other hand, does think, can remember, and may be confused. I think switching methods from day to day could lead to that kind of confusion!

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that MUSCLE CONFUSION idea in full effect in most good systems. You don't only play one thing but different ranges, syncopation, slurred passages, staccato, fast rhythms, long tones and even music. It is al their. CG has all of this. Can't be a well rounded trumpet player without it. He had students play go on to play professionally in classical, jazz, commercial. One method.... Hmmmm

Now if after a while you want or even from the start you want to add or start with follow on works such as Eric Bolvin or Bill Knevitt great. Also some other great methods beyond those.
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that on the subject of range expansion, it is best to have at least one consistent part of your routine.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Matthew Anklan"]I have found the best results for myself and my students through a consistent approach. You need to set yourself up for success through creating reliable results. There are many excellent resources on range development available today. I would suggest to work with a teacher who has a great upper register and stick to one plan for a while. Development takes time, usually several years. Like all facets of trumpet playing, range is just one of many. It should not be held in higher regard than things like the basic production of a beautiful sound, articulation, musical phrasing, and so on. And, just like becoming great at anything else, practice, persistence, patience, and consistency are a must.

+1... well stated
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a HS kid in the 1960s I built up a pretty good DHC using arpeggios, both 1 and 2 octaves. I heard a kid at a music camp doing this daily and he was up around A4 at the time.

Later, I figured out he was probably using the Gordon SA method. I've used it with students and on myself since I found it and I'd highly recommend it. If you can find a former Gordon student as a teacher/mentor, see if you can use them as well. I was fortunate enough to attend several Gordon workshops years back, I think I've gotten his autograph 3 times in my old SA book. Use what works.

Ditto on the finesse v brute force. Good luck.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing it is 99% and WHAT book you do is 1% or less.
Want high notes?
Then play more of them tomorrow than you played today. Do that every day.
That is the basic of every high note system.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Using SA would at least make certain one was playing in that register on a regular basis. Taking things up an octave was also a regular deal, but not during band. That'd have gotten one moved down or kicked out of our program back then.
JohnO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Range Practice Reply with quote

I asked the question not because I was trying to build huge embouchure muscles. It seems that if one practices something similar over and over, then the chops figure out the knack of doing it which may not be entirely correct. And within a given pedagogy there ,seems to be a bit of similarity. So I was actually wondering if mixing methods would keep the chops from getting complacent if you will. I like spending time doing Caruso exercises, and I like spending time doing CG type exercises, and also Vizzutti high note exercises (not on the same day, but as a way to start the day with the calisthenics portion of practice, then rest, then technical and musical material later). When I work on flexibility, there are several sources that I use. Why should calisthenics be any different?
Regardless, I spoke with a CG based teacher in Chicago today and plan to spend some quality Skype time with him.
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing steady long tones on your highest controllable note is a very good method for extending your range. It has to be followed by a good rest period, however. And maybe only 2 or 3 times a week.
That's my $0.02.

B/
Selecao07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Range Practice Reply with quote

JohnO wrote:
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a crappy video from 1994 with Maynard. What he says and demo is great, so never mind the video quality!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jeHSX7Vfx4

Ole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: