• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Keep splitting my lip?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChopsBuster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Keep splitting my lip? Reply with quote

I'm lead trumpet in my high school's brass choir (more of a jazz band/brass choir mix), and the last chord of one of the pieces we're playing is a high F for me (above high C), which is well within my range, as my highest note is about an Bb/B, but whenever I play it recently, my upper lip splits. I know it's chapped lips season, but is there maybe an other reason why this is happening?
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing you play it is difficult to say, but this kind of topic comes up here pretty often from a player with your experience level. (HS age)

I'd suggest that you are playing with too much mpc pressure if you are actually causing tissue damage because of the range of a piece. Excessive mpc pressure is a symptom of improper technique and a lack of embouchure strength and air support.

Unfortunately for you, the fix is not easy and requires dedication and patience (uncommon in many kids your age) to build a real fundamental foundation of strength to facilitate playing in that register.

On the other hand... you may be awesome and just dehydrated.

which do you think applies to you??
ChopsBuster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know I don't drink enough water, but to be safe, I'll try both
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The act of tightening the lips for the high note may be the actual action that splits the lip, but it sounds like you are really dried out and chapped. I know it is a change, but you need to keep hydrated. If it helps, keep a water bottle with you all the time, and try to drink a few bottles a day. Also, the colder weather and wind are brutal on lips. I know that I have felt the difference after just a day of cold wind. Get some chapstick or vaseline and use it on your lips whenever you are not playing, and especially if you are going outside. The thicker stuff, like Vaseline, will actually help protect your lips from the wind. The cold, low humidity, and wind of this season will dry you up like a prune, so you need to do what you can to counteract that.
corsair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a victim of an early 4th grade music teacher that told us, 'when you play higher, smile, pull the lips taut like releasing air out of a balloon'. Only years later did I find out this was wrong. After a season of drum corp playing with a split lip. I still carry the scar. Add a layoff and 20+ years later and TH. I have found out that that way pulled the lips from the mouthpiece and then the result was to add pressure to play resulting in a split lip that took a long time to heal.

Less pressure makes you tighten the corners and use faster air. No more split lips, even dry chapped lips don't split for me anymore and the higher range just evolves over time when you play the right way. It's funny how when finding out just how to play, what benefits are realized.

Last edited by corsair on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If dry lips are the primary cause then you might try a balm like DCT.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the comments made. maybe you have a case of too much mouthpiece pressure. you can work on that as a separate issue. first thing is to make sure you are hydrated, and find something topical for the lips that you like, vaseline, lip balm.
the trumpet playing is probably only making something worse that is caused by your daily habits. you have to be your own doctor with this.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I find myself missing notes I normally play easily in rehearsal or practice, it is usually:

1. Tensing up in anticipation, choking off the airflow and putting more pressure on the lips;
    2. Not practicing like it's a performance and thus not adequately figuring out when to breathe (mark breath marks!), how to phrase, and otherwise set up for the phrase or note;
    3. Not taking adequate breaths (repeat of above but worth repeating);
    4. Overblowing/playing too loudly; and/or
    5. Lack of focus/nerves, not having the song in mind, compounding the comments above.

Sure there are twenty things I've forgotten but HTH. - Don
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, are you talking about F above the third ledger line above the staff?
ChopsBuster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all the responses, and yes, the F above the third ledger line above the staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: