• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Upgrading from my student horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam vonk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Upgrading from my student horn Reply with quote

Hi everyone this is my first post so bear with me . I am currently a junior in high school and i have been playing on my student horn a Yamaha ytr 3335s for quite some time and I have to say its not bad its silver and it works. Well my friend let me barrow his horn which is a Getzen 700 series and I fell in love it is easier to pay and articulate especially in the high range an the valves were supper fast. Anyway i'm on a budget an i'm not sure if I should get a Getzen 700 because of the cost so I found some used and was looking for some advice: keep in mind their both used

Horn 1:http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/used-instruments/used-band-orchestral/used-trumpets/getzen-eterna-trumpet-model-700/prod_5788.html

Horn 2:http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221612633891?item=221612633891&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Same horn brand new:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Getzen-700S-Intermediate-Trumpet-/261630037552?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horn 1 could be a fair deal if in good shape. It would be nice if the photos were better focused. The warranty is nice.

Horn 2 is a 700SP, which is inferior to a 700S. I'd say it's way overpriced for a used SP horn.

The 700S will actually say ETERNA on the bell. The SP will not.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Getzen's website:

Quote:
700SP Special

The 700 Special is a perfect alternative for those seeking something more than a student trumpet, but don’t want to pay intermediate or professional trumpet prices. While not a high level instrument, it is much more than the typical step up horn.

All 700 Series instruments are limited production and are only offered at a limited number of Getzen dealers. Please contact the Getzen sales department to find the 700 Series dealer near you.

The specs on the two horns are nearly identical. One has gold brass slides, the other nickel silver slides. So possibly some of the other parts are also a different material.

Shifty, I am curious, not challenging, why you think the special version of the 700, 700SP, is inferior to the silver version or the 700, 700S.

The website sort of infers the same thing, saying the 700S is an intermediate horn, but the 700SP is called an alternative in price to an intermediate or professional trumpet. This could mean Getzen considers the 700SP better than the 799S or it could mean that it is not an intermediate horn.

Hopefully Adam will see this and weigh in with his insider opinions.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Getzen's comments from several years ago somewhere on TH:

"Just make sure that you're getting him a 700S and not a 700SP "Special". The 700SP, in all honesty, isn't much more than a dressed up student horn."

and:

"All in all, the 700S is the better horn of the two. It's very close to the original pro model Severinsen 900 of the sixties and seventies while the 700SP is more of a step-up horn."
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we should believe Brett?

Nice answer. I thought I was the only one who knew how to use the search function.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 700SP is more like a Capri. For me they play tighter, like a student horn. I've had a number of my students get 700 Eternas. With a precision valve alignment they really kick. Years ago I was a Getzen dealer and sold a number of 700 Eternas to local pro players. Even the late, great Leon Merian played a slightly modified Eterna 700.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By5CDhbNV0g
Cam vonk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I will definitely get the 700s of the two but is it worth it to get it used or should I just suck it up and keep my yamaha?
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know sometimes you just have an itch that needs scratching but my suggestion would be to test a few more horns before you shell out your hard earned cash. In the meanwhile chase down some part-time work to help you have a little flexibility when it comes time to go shopping. Clean gutters, shovel snow, baby sit, pet sit, tutor, etc.

Test your friends horns; test your teacher's horns (you are taking lessons, right?); go to some stores with somebody whose ears you trust and play some more. If you are lucky, you'll be close to a store with a good selection. It may be that a Getzen 700 is the perfect horn for you, but it could be a different Getzen, one of the usual suspects from Bach or Yamaha or possibly a Schilke, a Kanstul a Benge, an Olds, a Sonare, or an Adams. There are a lot of great horns out there, you just need to find the one that plays and sounds right, and fits your budget.

Have your teacher or a much more experienced player help you do your testing. They will spot things you do not. If you don't have a teacher, think about finding one. If you are currently flying solo, a good teacher will probably make a bigger difference in your playing than a new horn.

Enjoy your search.
Cam vonk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i just found this one on eBay and for the price it looks to be a steal and yes im going to go to my music store over the holiday to check out some different horns.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Getzen-Eterna-700S-/271681204690?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item3f417631d2
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam vonk wrote:
So i just found this one on eBay and for the price it looks to be a steal and yes im going to go to my music store over the holiday to check out some different horns.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Getzen-Eterna-700S-/271681204690?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item3f417631d2

That is a steal. It looks to be made well after '90 so there will be a lifetime warranty on the valves.
Cam vonk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
Cam vonk wrote:

That is a steal. It looks to be made well after '90 so there will be a lifetime warranty on the valves.

The tubing looks pretty good and so do the valves i don't see any noticeable dents or scratches I am definitely going to bid on it and if i get it and its crappy its not like I spent a whole lot on it.
Cam vonk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just curious but how would the Getzen 700 stack up to a YAMAHA YTR-6335 or a Yamaha YTR-8335RGS Xeno?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: