• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

warm up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: warm up Reply with quote

My first lesson with Reinhardt was in 1967. My chops have evolved greatly since that time. So some of what he told me for corrections wouldn't apply today. That's a natural progression. However he did say that the low range was my enemy. He also said that under ideal conditions he would tell not to go below 3rd space C for an indeterminate amount of time. Today I don't play below 2nd line G until I really feel warmed up and in the groove. While practicing I approach the low range with caution and don't spend too much time there....especially below low C.

I'm not suggesting that this is the approach for everyone but I do think incorrect playing of low notes can be a big culprit.

I can play double Cs and Ds...sometimes higher and I'm 70 years old. It was Reinhardt and then Doug Elliott who made this happen.

John
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that this advice would apply to a lot of players.

I always start warming up somewhere above "middle C" for similar reasons. It's just too easy to "play wrong" down there and start making adjustments to your playing which could be harmful to your overall technique.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting approach. I tend to emphasize "correct low range" in the beginning of a warmup as a cure for "incorrect low range," but just staying out of it for the beginning is definitely another way of looking at it that could be very effective for some players.
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. The recipe for me is always to think back to Reinhardt's comment that "the key to correct brass playing is the downward slur" (or something along those lines), and once I'm executing it correctly, I'm basically warmed up and ready to go.

I focus on finding my legs/embouchure in the middle register of the horn and then slur down from there with the best form I can manage, while trying to make it feel the same is it up higher, and that usually locks everything in for me. I don't really need to warm up the upper register - it's always there when I'm doing things right (thanks, Doc and Doug!).

John, how often do you succeed in actually staying out of that register for an extended period of time? And, if so, how does it make your playing feel?
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: e Reply with quote

Excellent thread.
shaolin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many years of playing, I still find that most days, Doc's #57 warm-up routine is the best way to start my playing day.
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
Quote:
That's an interesting approach. I tend to emphasize "correct low range" in the beginning of a warmup as a cure for "incorrect low range," but just staying out of it for the beginning is definitely another way of looking at it that could be very effective for some players.

I've been thinking about Doug's post the last couple of days. I started warming up in the low range and concentrating on playing the low notes correctly. I think I was often playing the low range as a IIIB instead of IIIA as I should have. I caught myself ducking my head and lifting the bell slightly. At least I wasn't dropping the jaw. After doing it correctly a few times it seemed much easier to arpeggiate up to double C. It's hard for me to find the exact words to explain how it feels. As of now if I get the pivot correct from 2nd line G down to G below the staff, things work better. I don't have to think so much about the upper notes or pivot. So far they are working well if I get the lower pivot right. I played a gig on Thursday and A's above high C up to double D were coming out good. They weren't squeaks and I could sustain them several beats. Every now and then I would softly slur from G to low G and back a couple times. This seems to make things work right all the way up.

I have a tendency to take things too far which then makes me want to reverse the pivot to get back in line. Needless to say this is not good so I'm paying extra attention to avoid that.

On another note, I have to proof read myself over and over to hopefully avoid mistakes. Maybe it's because I'm getting older. Someone suggested I might have the "C-NILE" virus.

John
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's how I would say to approach things.

The exception is that if a IIIA has been playing with multiple embouchures and has an upper groove and a lower groove, it would be a good idea to stay away from the lower groove as much as possible and therefore stay out of the low range to better establish the upper groove and not risk falling into the lower one.

I was in that situation during my early years studying with Doc, and he did have me stay out of the low range for a while. Then later I had the same issue when I discovered that a left side placement worked much better and I had to establish that new groove and stay away from my centered groove. That was a tough change - I had a well established groove in my chops with a pretty centered placement, and the mouthpiece always wanted to go back there, so I had to fight it for a couple of years.

This groove isn't discussed very much but it needs to be considered when making adjustments. It takes a long time for your body to fill in an old groove when you make a placement change.
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread. I've always warmed up by starting with the mouthpiece, then the lead pipe, then the bottom half of the trumpet/cornet range down to low F#.
As I play my long tones I notice that the lower notes often want to crack to the higher partials, and I have to make minute lip adjustments to get back into that "lower" groove.
Maybe I learned something here about where to start my warmup!
I'm sure there are ramifications of this approach that haven't yet crossed my blood-brain barrier so I'll check this thread again.

Bluesy/
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesy wrote:
This is an interesting thread. I've always warmed up by starting with the mouthpiece, then the lead pipe, then the bottom half of the trumpet/cornet range down to low F#.
As I play my long tones I notice that the lower notes often want to crack to the higher partials, and I have to make minute lip adjustments to get back into that "lower" groove.
Maybe I learned something here about where to start my warmup!
I'm sure there are ramifications of this approach that haven't yet crossed my blood-brain barrier so I'll check this thread again.

Bluesy/

Can we please keep this on track as a Reinhardt Forum thread?

Let's find out what Doc Reinhardt taught about these things, not Bill Adam or any of the other approaches that abound elsewhere on Trumpet Herald.

Thank you.
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluesy, welcome to the Reinhardt forum! We're glad you are finding this thread helpful and it's really cool to see more people posting in here. That said, keep in mind that Doc Reinhardt:

1. Did not advocate starting your playing day on a low F#. In fact, he felt somewhat the opposite. He wanted to get your chops out of that "lower register" setting and more efficient and set up for the upper register. For example, Warm Up #57 starts on a middle C. As you become more advanced, you're invited to start your playing day on even higher notes than that. Check out Warm Up 57 and give it a try sometime. Just rest as much as you play, and stop BEFORE you get tired (I like to stop when I feel warmed up).

2. Reinhardt did not teach leadpipe buzzing. Not sure his exact reasons, but he probably found it un-necessary, among other reasons.

3. Reinhardt did not teach mouthpiece buzzing. I think he thought mouthpiece buzzing could encourage un-necessary spreading of the chops, and he probably also thought it wasn't necessary.

Reinhardt has a lot of rules, I'll admit, but to be honest, trumpet playing has a lot of rules. So in a way, it's kind of necessary. Does that make sense? Hope this helps you.

Josh
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more recently, the last 2-3 years, focused more of my playing with regard to the Reinhadt approach. Although I had been introduced to it while in the military years ago by a friend who was a Reinhardt student, I did not consistently work on any of it at that time.

Most often these days I use the Spider warmup starting on middle C. I definitely use this before I leave for a gig. I also use the first four or five lines of the Track routine before a gig. These seem to zero in my chops. If there is no gig on any specific day, I will try to do the Track Routine from top to bottom. I will do Warm Up 57 once or twice a week also if the mood strikes me.

And I have to agree with John about staying away from the lower register until you are ready. As a self proclaimed IIIB I definitely benefit by following this advice.

Pete
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my first lesson with Reinhardt in 1967. I had a lot of bad habits then. I asked him about mouthpiece buzzing. I will try to represent what he said as accurately as I remember. He said that he didn't find mouthpiece buzzing that helpful, mainly for two reasons. The resistance was much different and there is the danger of not approaching the mouthpiece with the same angle to the embouchure. Then he chuckled and said, "if standing on your head first makes you play better then do it." I never asked but I wonder if he was thinking of Maynard doing his yoga exercises before a concert. There were times when riding to a gig I played on my mouthpiece to warm up. I never got anything out of it. Doc told me that when Maynard played at Birdland he would drive in from Connecticut and play one handed while driving. Slide Hampton use to tell everyone that Maynard could take the horn out of the case and play immediately. Maynard never told him what he was doing. For obvious reasons driving and playing is not a good idea. I admit I've done that.

Pedal tones has created a lot of discord in the past on this Forum. Reinhardt has told most players that they absolutely should stay away from pedals. In 1967 he told me that pedals are ok for some players but not the majority. Unless you can play them with absolutely no chop distortion you should avoid them. He said there are other ways to relax the chops. I can't play them without distortion so I don't. We all know a couple great players who can play them with apparently the same embouchure and continuation of track. But there are a lot of great players who never touch pedals. So why take the chance.

Don Junker and I sometimes drove to Philly together to take lessons. We even sat in on each other's lesson. Doc would often tell each of us different things that we should be doing. I asked about the contradiction. He said "one man's meat is another man's poison". This was the beauty of Reinhardt that he tailored lessons to the individual and his needs at the time.

John
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshMizruchi wrote:
Bluesy, welcome to the Reinhardt forum! We're glad you are finding this thread helpful and it's really cool to see more people posting in here. That said, keep in mind that Doc Reinhardt:

1. Did not advocate starting your playing day on a low F#. In fact, he felt somewhat the opposite. He wanted to get your chops out of that "lower register" setting and more efficient and set up for the upper register. For example, Warm Up #57 starts on a middle C. As you become more advanced, you're invited to start your playing day on even higher notes than that. Check out Warm Up 57 and give it a try sometime. Just rest as much as you play, and stop BEFORE you get tired (I like to stop when I feel warmed up).

2. Reinhardt did not teach leadpipe buzzing. Not sure his exact reasons, but he probably found it un-necessary, among other reasons.

3. Reinhardt did not teach mouthpiece buzzing. I think he thought mouthpiece buzzing could encourage un-necessary spreading of the chops, and he probably also thought it wasn't necessary.

Reinhardt has a lot of rules, I'll admit, but to be honest, trumpet playing has a lot of rules. So in a way, it's kind of necessary. Does that make sense? Hope this helps you.

Josh

Hi Josh!
Thanks for the encouragement! Makes me want to investigate the ideas of Reinhardt, not like some posters I could name,
I simply don't understand hostility like that. I won't comment further except to say that I have modified my warm up, limiting most of it to the middle and upper registers, AS ADVOCATED BY REINHARDT. (There! Is that better?)

But back to trumpet playing; it does make sense to warm up on the upper half of our (my) range, and my first attempts resulted in not burning out so soon during practice, so I'll be trying to develop it into a regular warm up routine for long-term use. And whoever said that mouthpiece buzzing doesn't help was right. It never helped me a bit from what I could see.

Bluesy/
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about all that, but I would always caution newcomers not to assume that what was "advocated by Reinhardt" for one student will apply to another student. Teaching this stuff is necessarily very individualized. Warming up in the top half of your range is a good idea for many players at a particular time in their development, but may not remain a good idea forever and may be very wrong for other players.

Glad to see you here, keep reading and asking questions.
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. It hadn't occurred to me that Doc might want some people to start lower...I guess always hearing from the Reinhardt guys to get your chops out of the lower register setting fairly early in my playing life, it really stuck with me.

Also, thank you very much to John for sharing Reinhardt's thoughts on mouthpiece buzzing with us. Those were fantastic insights, particularly how the buzzing affects your playing angle. I never even thought of that.

I will share this...Up until I first started learning about Reinhardt and taking lessons with Reinhardt students, I often started my warm ups on a low C...BUZZED ON THE MOUTHPIECE!

Initially it makes perfect sense. Athletes often warm up by doing the easy stuff, so trumpet should be no different right? But it is a little different I think.

You CAN get good results practicing that way. But the Reinhardt approach done correctly will probably get you playing even better.
revmklyons

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely don't start warming up low any more. When I was a young stud, I started on concert F and down in half steps....spent a lot of time in the pedal area ( I am a euph player BTW). Then I would go in to slurs and scales....but now I know that I played on two embouchures (at least two, actually). I had a low setting and a high setting. I became pretty adept at disguising it, but it lead to my demise. I was aware that I reset for the higher octaves, I just thought everyone did...

Anyway, now I start at least on 4th partial....sometimes on 6th partial F and keep that setting as I descend. It feels and works better.

Just my input...I am no longer a young stud. More like an old jackass.
K
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that when we're young we are "young studs" or some other complimentary moniker, but when we get old we refer to ourselves as "old jackasses"?
I saw a license plate on the back of a pickup at the Jersey shore; "old crab"

B/
revmklyons

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I wish I was an old stud. it turns out the older I get the better I used to be.
K
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshMizruchi wrote:

Initially it makes perfect sense. Athletes often warm up by doing the easy stuff, so trumpet should be no different right? But it is a little different I think.

You CAN get good results practicing that way. But the Reinhardt approach done correctly will probably get you playing even better.

I snipped this bit out of the rest of the post, but the context is starting the playing day out higher, as clearly instructed in Rich's book Focal Point. (Among other places) Many of us on TH have gotten great results working from that book; both those of us that try to follow Doc's teaching and those who do not. I think this idea of setting up our playing day closer to the actual middle of our range contributes to the success people have working with it - in addition to just some really solid exercises to play, in a well-balanced routine. (Or should I say a seemingly endless myriad of well balanced routines that can be practiced, by following the instructions.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: