• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Recommendation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Insyderzska1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Recommendation Reply with quote

I have played a few horns over the years! I like my Bach model 43 the sound was great and played good for what I was using it for but I kept having valve problems it was newer horn around 2000-2002 I had to keep sending it off to fix frozen valves. What would be a good horn to try that has that similar sound I also had the Revered lead pipe. I have a Schilke S32 right now and the thing sounds ok but my hands are bigger than the way the horn is made. It bugs me the way it feels in my hand it hurts me after a while. Any suggestions would be great!
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what was going on that kept causing the valves on your Strad to freeze up? The valves on my 2000 Strad are great! Did you clean your horn frequently and oil your valves before or after each use?

Can you find a "brick and mortar" music store and try a bunch of trumpets? This may be the only way to find one that feels right in your hands. If you find one at such a store, please buy there too.

Of my three b-flats, the Strad is the roomiest for my normal size hands and the Getzen 900 Eterna Classic is the most compact, with the old Leblanc 707 Sonic falling between the other two. Perhaps this account will enlarge your frame of reference.

Good luck!

Jim
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partial to the Severinsen Destino 3 Star. You can find them now and then on the used market for between $1,200 and $1,600. It is a great horn with a big fat low register and a pleasingly brilliant upper register. It will scream when asked. I'll sell you mine in about 18 years.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already think the Bach 43 sounds great then I recommend you stick with that. The chronic valve problem is not typical. Another horn or another oil should fix that.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the 43 - they're a great horn. Do you still have it? The valves are certainly serviceable, at the worst.

If you want something just plain different, the old Conn wide wraps fit Maynard's over-sized hands "pretty well." I think he sounded his best on the Conn 38B, they have a very distinctive sound and there's probably at least one in our marketplace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: