• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Church music transposing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Insyderzska1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Church music transposing Reply with quote

Is there any good way to figure out how to transpose church music from the hymn book to what I really need to play ?
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean other than that you need to transpose up a major second, aka up a step and add two sharps?
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raise the notes a full tone, if it is in flats take two off, if it is in sharps add two or buy a C horn.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no trick to it. Either put in the time practicing sight reading up a step or take the time to manually transpose everything in advance. I've done both and each has it's merits.

Closest thing to a trick I've seen is that there's an iPad app that lets you take a picture and pull a piece right into a notation program which should allow instantaneous transposition.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I took the hymn book home and commenced the study of transposition by writing out the various hymns a tone higher. This was a wonderful help, but I very soon discovered that it would be necessary for me to play in many more keys that were only in two sharps or flats. I commenced playing them in three, four, five and even six sharps and flats. At the start this was extremely difficult. I was obliged to play everything very slowly, thinking carefully of each note and interval while pressing my fingers down on the valves with determination. And thus it was that in due time I mastered nearly all the keys by thoroughly practicing their scales."

Herbert L. Clarke
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd like to practice transposition, I suggest you take a pencil in one hand, point at each note and say the transposed note as quickly as you can. Do it in time if you can. Leave the horn out of it for a bit. Or play through the music so slowly you'd can hardly miss the transposed notes. Up a step and adding 2 #s is the easiest for me to think. After a while it will become natural and simple.

BTW- I have an outstanding young lady student from Japan who learned pitches as concert pitches rather than the transposed ones on Bb we learn in US/UK, etc. That's a good way to teach/learn- then there is no transposition problem if you know the name of the pitch. Good luck.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
BTW- I have an outstanding young lady student from Japan who learned pitches as concert pitches rather than the transposed ones on Bb we learn in US/UK, etc. That's a good way to teach/learn- then there is no transposition problem if you know the name of the pitch.

But doesn't she have to do the reverse - Bb to C?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
BTW- I have an outstanding young lady student from Japan who learned pitches as concert pitches rather than the transposed ones on Bb we learn in US/UK, etc. That's a good way to teach/learn- then there is no transposition problem if you know the name of the pitch. Good luck.

Isn't that how tuba and euphonium players approach it, in concert pitch? You play a written Bb open, for example. But their music is in concert pitch. Was she taught to read from concert pitch music, too?
brasslete_jon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a very helpful guide on transposing by changing clefs.

http://derekremes.com/wp-content/uploads/Transposition%20by%20Changing%20Clef_by%20Derek%20Remes.pdf

To play C parts on a B-flat trumpet, change the clef to alto clef and add two sharps to the key signature. The guide is really helpful about how to learn new clefs, spotting intervals, and adjusting accidentals in the part. Use the tunes in the back of the Arban's on any songbook as practice.

-Jon
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brasslete_jon wrote:
To play C parts on a B-flat trumpet, change the clef to alto clef and . . .

Why? Surely reading notes one step up is just as easy, or easier, than learning to read from a different clef?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
brasslete_jon wrote:

Why? Surely reading notes one step up is just as easy, or easier, than learning to read from a different clef?

Yeah. Me too. I understand these clef shortcuts, but I just transpose intervals much easier. Reading up a step, a third, a fourth, and a fifth is much easier for me than trying to remember alto clef. Actually, if I do get stuck reading a strange clef (bass clef doesn't count, it's not strange) I just transpose it. It just makes more work out of a task that's not really that hard.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r1rFFe5B1A

Link

B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet players should learn to transpose as a fundamental part of performing. And this is not just limited to orchestral playing.

In the studio or rehearsing a new show sometimes there is not time to rewrite the parts. I always enjoyed seeing us trumpet players sight read a chart up a third or some other transposition so much better than the saxophones and to a lessor degree the trombones. The strings where totally lost!

Good times,

Gordon Stump
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpaholic wrote:
Raise the notes a full tone, if it is in flats take two off, if it is in sharps add two.

But what if there is only ONE FLAT, hmmmm? I bet you never thought of that, Mr Smartypants.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems pretty snarky. You'd end up with one sharp, of course, something you could have added to provide something worthwhile.

F (one flat) -> G (one sharp)

Up a step, add two sharps, cancelling flats as appropriate. Like pretty much everyone from Richard on has said.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Church music transposing Reply with quote

Insyderzska1 wrote:
Is there any good way to figure out how to transpose church music from the hymn book to what I really need to play ?

Do it more often.

A good source of practice material is the hymn book itself. You likely know many of the melodies very well already. Practice playing through those at home from the book. You'll be able to hear any errors very quickly.

Just like most skills, the more you do it, the easier it will get.
brasslete_jon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
brasslete_jon wrote:

Yeah. Me too. I understand these clef shortcuts, but I just transpose intervals much easier. Reading up a step, a third, a fourth, and a fifth is much easier for me than trying to remember alto clef. Actually, if I do get stuck reading a strange clef (bass clef doesn't count, it's not strange) I just transpose it. It just makes more work out of a task that's not really that hard.

At first, transposing by clefs is the harder way. When Frank Kaderabek first introduced clefs to me, I cheated and stuck with intervals (I sucked at transposing...he was perfect). But once you're comfortable reading in different clefs, you can eliminate a step in your head while sight-reading. Instead of thinking a major 3rd above the written C, you read it as an E in bass clef and add four sharps to the key signature.

I also like the practice of learning clefs so I can read orchestral scores that use alto, tenor, and bass clefs. (Learning mezzo-soprano clef and baritone clef doesn't get much use outside of transposing).

You also don't have to be exclusive in using only intervals or only clefs. For me, I decided to stick with clefs because I thought it would have greater benefits in the long-run. In the end, do whatever works!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProAm wrote:
Craig Swartz wrote:

Isn't that how tuba and euphonium players approach it, in concert pitch? You play a written Bb open, for example. But their music is in concert pitch. Was she taught to read from concert pitch music, too?
Yes- bass clef brass are "non transposing".
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Craig Swartz wrote:
BTW- I have an outstanding young lady student from Japan who learned pitches as concert pitches rather than the transposed ones on Bb we learn in US/UK, etc. That's a good way to teach/learn- then there is no transposition problem if you know the name of the pitch.

But doesn't she have to do the reverse - Bb to C?
I'm not sure I understand: written 3rd space for her, on Bb trumpet is called B ("bay"-not H, btw). I suppose alto saxes (etc) are taught in the same manner if everything is based on concert pitch.
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school, I played with the Jackson Symphony- at that time an all volunteer group. Many of the parts were written in C and I got really good at transposing. In our church orchestra, our Minister of Music asked us to play along with the hymns, and I discovered I had lost that ability to transpose on the fly. I have a Fake Book at the house and started to use that to practice transposition. There are two high school players with us and they picked it up in no time. It just takes practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: