• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet for And the Glory of the Lord

View previous topic :: View next topic  
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Trumpet for And the Glory of the Lord Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking for a trumpet part, preferably melody for And the Glory of the Lord for a church service. I've been looking at the usual resources, but can't find it. Can someone help?
Thanks, Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
brass crusader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read off of the vocal score. That would be your best bet.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the organist asked if I had a C trumpet and the music. It's in G so I will probably use my Bb and transpose, but finding it as a trumpet solo would make things easier. I played it in an orchestra or 3 many years ago. This will just be trumpet and piano or organ. The organist asked me if I could get it so I haven't seen it yet or know what she has in mind.
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I'd at least look at the organist's part before I did anything. With my luck I'd get something "officially correct" that has 16 bars of rest where she expects me to take it! LOL
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem, just a short rehearsal before the gig. I would like to go in with something already prepared and hand her the music rather than her pointing at something and say play. We're also doing Mozart's Alleluja and O Holy Night and I have never played with her before.
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about "And the Glory of the Lord" from Messiah?

If so, first of all, Handel wrote it in A, so unless you've been specifically told it's in G, I would assume that the correct key is A. If it is actually in G, lucky you — find a score in the original key and your transposition is done!

Second, are you talking about playing this as a trumpet and organ alone number*, or to accompany the choir? If it's without choir, you probably want to see the accompaniment part she's using, so you can make sure you're covering any vocal lines that are missing. (For instance, usually the first alto entrance is NOT covered in the accompaniment.) And you probably don't want to spring something on her that she's not used to. So definitely talk to her about this.

If you're playing along with the choir, just find a vocal score and play the soprano part (and maybe grab a few alto lines if you like). I don't think you should have too much to worry about as far as compatibility goes.

Either way, if you look on IMSLP you should find something that will work without too much adjustment.

* This seems like a weird idea to me. One of the arias would work much better.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nonsense Eliminator, yes Messiah, I know it's in A, I've played it several with orchestra and choir. I presently don't have a pic. or D trumpet. Will have to do it on Bb or C. I saw a couple versions and a brass group version in G while searching, but no keyboard parts. This will be trumpet and organ, no choir. I wish it was with choir because that would solve everything. I will be playing the melody and will have to transpose or use my C if I do the organists version. I wouldn't mind using the C except I haven't played it in awhile and I usually like to practice with it for a month before playing it on a gig. Not much call for that around here and I usually just transpose on the Bb when playing from a Hymnal. Oh well, I was looking an easier way to do it where I could control the outcome and no mistakes. But, that's life, got to be prepared. I'm sure what ever we do will work. The organist wanted me to find the music and I was hoping there was a version for trumpet and organ as a solo. Thanks for the input and advise.
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Nonsense Eliminator, I went to IMSLP. Great site and what I was looking for.

Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since it's somebody you haven't worked with before, I would try to figure out if there's a choral accompaniment she's used to playing. You might save yourself a LOT of headaches. Some organists can do anything... others not so much. Any time you can say, "You just do your thing and I'll make it work," you avoid a whole world of potential problems. And B flat trumpet isn't so bad... if you can get your head around B major, it's actually a pretty nice key to play in!
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B (A) is no problem, I do rock gigs. She asked me to find And the Glory, said she'd love to do it. I was hoping to find something already done. If I had more time I could do an arrangement, but I'm a school band director and free time is a luxury at the moment. Can't wait for Friday, only two more concerts this week and I'm done with parades.

Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a text from the organist, she found the music in public domain and has now picked a prelude, postlude, offertory, etc. and it's all for C trumpet. I'm doomed! Not really, My S22C will get a much deserved workout, but I do like to sound of my WT Bb better and it is easier to play. Intonation on the C and endurance will be my main concern, some of the choral pieces will be long and I seem to have much less endurance on C trumpet. Oh well, fun just turned into work. I'm glad it's a pay gig. will still do the Mozart Alleluja on Bb.
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: