• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Literally screaming double C's through trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Screamin_rich

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Literally screaming double C's through trumpet Reply with quote

I'm a lead player and discovered a little trick a couple years ago. basically I yell/scream with my throat and put the trumpet up to my lips. It's really loud and sounds like I'm actually playing it. Can go up to E above double C.

It's kind of a cool trick but does anyone know what this is or know anyone that does this for practical uses (lead playing)? I can't seem to find any info on the web about it. I'm calling it double falsetto..

Thanks!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I heard a couple local high school kids doing that the other day so you're in great company.

Larry
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
I think I heard a couple local high school kids doing that the other day so you're in great company.

Larry

*like*

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Pinsel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bro can do this without trumpet. The lips vibrate at the frequency of the vocal chords. It really kills my ears when he does this. Though I´m not sure if he can sing so high without imitating the trumpet.

There are lots of videos on you2be where people play mouth trumpet, like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fro0gj5ZjAI

Can you sing E above double C then?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinsel wrote:

Can you sing E above double C then?

Exactly; I call shenanigans. I can sing as high as any male I know, which is barely over high C for a soprano. (Not quite an in-tune concert C#) The highest I've performed is the G below that, which is a nice cushion. (If I had the D above, I could actually use it in a current show

A full ninth higher? I'm not buying it ...
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this link would be helpful.

http://voicecouncil.com/forum/

Larry
Screamin_rich

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I can sing it without the horn. I just wants know of anyone knows anything about it.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did Bugler's Holiday at a friends trumpet recital. One of our trumpet players was also a pretty good singer, and at the end of the tune instead of playing a high C, she took the horn off her face and sang a dubba C. It was kind of a humorous take... we had kazoos, and sonic screwdrivers, and a bass trombone... and explosives... lots of fun stuff. Anyhow, if you're a guy and you can sing higher than that, then you are in the wrong field.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
Pinsel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUuTF6s14tc I think it works after the same principle
Leonel Leon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my middle school band director telling me something about this. He had a friend who played trumpet who could do this, he did it a lot as a joke from what my old band director told me.
flamesimbris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhahaha I'm going to do this in band tomorrow and just said It was a method to developing a higher register
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in the Army band, I knew a female upper-level enlisted NCO who could do this if she was forced to play lead (she hated it but could do it well).
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard someone do this one time. It sounded terrible and totally ruined a great moment of a song. But hey, he nailed the High G he was going for.

Whoopee . . .
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The player with the loudest double C I ever heard was the Bari sax player in my college jazz band.

It sounded just like the loudest trumpet you'd ever care to hear!

I believe he is now the head of jazz studies at a university in New Mexico. I bet he can still do it.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a bass trombone player who can do this. It's quite realistic.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
The player with the loudest double C I ever heard was the Bari sax player in my college jazz band. He didn't sing it--he played it.

I believe he is now the head of jazz studies at a university in New Mexico. I bet he can still do it.

Now that I think of it, this same guy went on to play saxophone in Maynard's band for a while. I wonder if he ever showed the Boss his trick.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty impressive that he can produce those pitches with his voice...
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story is a bit like the old Farkas ones where he claimed to sing a pitch through his horn because the little guy with the stick thought he was always too loud. I think he also said that to placate same conductor he'd sometimes just fake it and leave the note out completely. That gets done a lot, btw. WTH? You're often paid to accommodate the conductor these days more than to make music.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: CAUTION!!! Reply with quote

I would be very careful about doing this screaming thing - it can really mess up your ability to develop a real upper register on the trumpet. I know... I write from experience.

When I was in Junior High School (now referred to as "Middle School"), our Band Directors introduced us to the music of Maynard Ferguson. The MF Horn, MF Horn 2, MF Horn 4 and 5 and later the Chameleon albums were all available to be played in the Bandroom Office on a phonograph piped into the speaker system of the Bandroom. Needless to say, just as my band mates did, I loved the Maynard music. Still do.

And at my young age, I found I could easily match and emulate his trumpet sound with my young falsetto voice, easily reaching the highest notes in MacArthur Park among others. And I did this often while listening to the music (at home - I bought my own MF records ASAP).

But: By doing this I subconsciously associated high notes with lots of throat (vocal chord) tension and by continuing to do this, I inadvertently developed a habit of tensing up my vocal chords for high notes that carried over to when I tried to play high notes on my trumpet. I inadvertently caused a situation where anytime I tried to play into the upper register on trumpet, my vocal chords would tense up and I would choke off the airstream, stopping all hopes of developing a register above High C. At one point, this problem got so bad, I had trouble playing even G on top of the staff. Even though I fairly quickly figured out and consciously realized what was occurring, I couldn't control this unwanted tension from happening. It took ages to finally learn not to let this unwanted muscle tension happen when I attempted to play in the upper register.

I hit my first High C by the time I was in 5th grade. It took until the end of my Senior year in High School before I could get anything above that High C (with the help of my new teacher, Claude Gordon). I think a lot of that massive amount of stagnation time was due to my enthusiastically "screaming along with" Maynard Ferguson albums.

Hope this is helpful to somebody.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Webcam Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
markp wrote:
The player with the loudest double C I ever heard was the Bari sax player in my college jazz band. He didn't sing it--he played it.

Now that I think of it, this same guy went on to play saxophone in Maynard's band for a while. I wonder if he ever showed the Boss his trick.

I think you're talking about Glenn Kostur. He had a high note bit onstage with MF in the late 80s and early 90s. He also plays lead trumpet for a few bars on Glenn's Den on the Live From London album.
http://www.glennkostur.com/about/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: