• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High school senior...give me pointers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edevlin96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: High school senior...give me pointers? Reply with quote

Link

This is a video of me soloing on a fairly easy and simple song back in October, and I was hoping to get some advice and critiques from more experienced players. I recently played a solo feature arrangement of O Holy Night on a flugelhorn just 2 days after getting the music and instrument, so I may post that later, but any help would be appreciated!

I've been playing since 6th grade, and honestly, the trumpet picked me, I did not want to play trumpet, it was thanks to my band directors who saw potential. Now I don't know what I'd do without the trumpet, I'm about to play in my 3rd pit orchestra (2nd year on lead), and I'm 1st chair in Wind Ensemble, switch between lead and 2nd in jazz band for soloing purposes, principal trumpet for 2 years now in symphony orchestra, and various small ensembles and honor bands.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st - I think that is the Biggest Big band I have seen

2nd - The solo was good. Just be a little more free with it. It was like you were playing exactly what was on paper, almost mechanical. The only other thing was play out, especially if you say you are lead, let the parts sing. It may be hard with a band that size, but just sing out over the band.
edevlin96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we're big on inclusiveness in our program, and honestly it's getting ridiculous. We have so many saxophones, plus 7 trumpets and 6 clarinets. I've been trying to work towards playing out, and my perfectionist tendency is to blend and not let myself be heard over other things, even on solos and lead parts because I've always had to play under our second chair in wind to try and get him to stop blasting, and I've become so accustomed to overexaggerating everything I do, including playing within a sound, because I'm trying to set the example for him to not stick out and play ugly. Thanks so much, though, and I'm definitely going to try and be a little better about making music my own when I'm in a solo situation.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job. Great sound and great presence. I agree that you should feel free to take some liberties both as a soloist and as a section lead. I also note that your eyes never leave you music. Don't be shackled by the written page...that's only the starting point. You can be true to the written note and still bring a good deal of creativity to it.

I did a version of this same piece in high school in the 70's and this brings back memories. Thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work!
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun check out Maynard Ferguson's interpretation.
http://youtu.be/XK39EKgYMDQ
This is the version I did way back when

Don't sweat the high notes (I took them all down) but it may give you some ideas about liberties you can take as a soloist.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pretty sound. Continue to support it by taking a big relaxed cleansing breath. Watch your intonation that it doesn't sag. Continue to play and love this instrument. Have fun!!!! Do you take lessons? I strongly suggest a private teacher for continued one on one growth!!!!! In closing, your band director needs to scale the group down to the best five saxes, four bones, four or five trumpets and rhythm section. Why not have two or three big bands? I gotta admit, I would much rather hear the band playing some jazz. Upward and Onward!!!!!!
edevlin96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's awesome to hear from you all, thanks for the tips and compliments! I've been trying to work on projecting my sound, because I've had trouble with that. I soloed on Come Sail Away for marching band this year, and it took some serious mental work to play loud enough to be heard clearly because I have this like mental thing where I can't do things with my playing that could potentially sacrifice my tone. My jazz director, and our new marching band director told me the first thing they noticed about my playing was my tone, and I've always been adamant about preserving that, which seems to be holding me back from expanding my range and things like that. I was planning on looking into a private teacher this year, but I've gotten so busy with school and the like that I feel like I barely have time to practice, let alone something like lessons, and I plan on moving out of state for college, so it seems like I may be better off waiting until I can make a long term commitment to a teacher. I did start giving music lessons this year as my director recommended that a beginning middle school trumpet player find a teacher, and asked me if I would be interested, so I'm being forced to think more technically and critically about playing the trumpet which I think is certainly helping my own playing. Thanks again, everyone, it means a lot to hear your opinions!
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edevlin96 wrote:
I was planning on looking into a private teacher this year, but I've gotten so busy with school and the like that I feel like I barely have time to practice, let alone something like lessons, and I plan on moving out of state for college, so it seems like I may be better off waiting until I can make a long term commitment to a teacher.

Until you're able to study with a private teacher please check this out. The following is a structured, systematic 52 week "Claude Gordon" approach practice routine which comes with a full-length audio recording to accompany each lesson. This will allow you to make your own practice schedule without spending big bucks and having to leave your nest.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1365590&highlight=#1365590
sonyvx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: High school senior...give me pointers? Reply with quote

edevlin96 wrote:

Link

This is a video of me soloing on a fairly easy and simple song back in October, and I was hoping to get some advice and critiques from more experienced players. I recently Paris shuttle transfers played a solo feature arrangement of O Holy Night on a flugelhorn just 2 days after getting the music and instrument, so I may post that later, but any help would be appreciated!

I've been playing since 6th grade, and honestly, the trumpet picked me, I did not want to play trumpet, it was thanks to my band directors who saw potential. Now I don't know what I'd do without the trumpet, I'm about to play in my 3rd pit orchestra (2nd year on lead), and I'm 1st chair in Wind Ensemble, switch between lead and 2nd in jazz band for soloing purposes, principal trumpet for 2 years now in symphony orchestra, and various small ensembles and honor bands.

Congrats. Good appear and also excellent presence. My spouse and i consent that you need to think absolve to get a number of protections each to be a soloist so that as any part cause. My spouse and i in addition realize that your current little brown eyes by no means abandon you audio. Don't be shackled by the prepared webpage... which is just the actual beginning. You could end up genuine towards the prepared note nonetheless deliver plenty of creativity with it.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice playing, you have a nice sound. I admire players who have a great sound. They don't have to be screamers. One of my absolute favorites of all time is Clark Terry. Clark always had a incredible sound on trumpet and flugel. One other favorite of mine is Lee Loughnane from the band Chicago. Lee has a gorgeous sound, he has decent high chops too.
The young left handed guitarist also did a nice job on his solo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: