• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bob Burns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaznov

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Bob Burns Reply with quote

I picked up the new EW&F/Chicago dvd and man... Bob Burns is killer. He could probably play those EW&F parts all day. He definitely gave his buccinators a good work out. Sounded fantastic.
Karel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get this DVD. I didn't find it at www.amazon.com
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read about it here:

http://www.chicagotheband.com/whatsnew.htm
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who was in Bloomington when Bobby was a very average player. I heard him later just before he moved West. You would hear him in the practice room playing Charlier up an octave, one after another. Amazing player who can play any style of music and one of the nicest people you will ever meet.
trumpity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: BBurns Reply with quote

Hey Bill,

Played a Easter gig with Bobby and the guy is a total professional and gentleman....I remember Bobby on the 3rd floor playing Charlier etudes up a octave...he sure did it ..no problem anded sound great...!

Best,

Kim Petersen
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the DVD. Man ! What a player! Geez! I'd like to know about his background, methods used & equipment if anyone has an info they can share.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob grew up in Gary, Indiana and came to IU to study with Mr. Adam in the early 1980s. He was NOT a very promising student coming into school, but he had a relentless goal-orientation and a heckuva work ethic. As far as I know, Bill Adam is his only teacher and his approach is exclusively how he put it together.

He moved to LA after he finished school and has been working from there ever since, including some musical theater stuff and gigs with others, including Michael Jackson for a time.

Back in school he played a Bach trumpet and a Bob Reeves mouthpiece, but I don't know what he plays now.

I also remember my first (overwhelming) impression of Bob playing Charliers 8va. I also remember a recording session with David Baker's big band (The Baker Flute Concerto) where Bob knocked me out. It was a great trumpet section, including John Harbaugh, Chris Botti, moi, Burns and a couple of others. The 3rd movement of the piece ended with an ascending scale that started in the tuba and ascended, passing through the entire band, & ending with Bob playing an ascending diminished scale from high D and ending on a double D on top of the chord. We did 5 takes (it was live to stereo). Bob's sound was so focused and projected that the guys in the section never knew if he fracked or not. Every time we heard the playback there was a clam somewhere else in the band, but Bob nailed every take and on one take he screwed the balance by burying the band on the double D (with no mic!).
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Bobby not being too promising when he arrived in early to mid 80's, but sometime from August '83 to Jan '84 I studied w/ him. He already had that effortless double high register w/ a sound like his own private jet engine keeping everything soaring out front.
PH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I don't know about Bobby not being too promising when he arrived in early to mid 80's, but sometime from August '83 to Jan '84 I studied w/ him. He already had that effortless double high register w/ a sound like his own private jet engine keeping everything soaring out front.

Yeah, apparently he was a major mess when he started with Adam...couldn't play out of the staff.
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which chops-based physical approach did Mr. Adam use to solve the problem?

Sorry... I'm having a willpower issue....
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lh wrote:
Which chops-based physical approach did Mr. Adam use to solve the problem?

Sorry... I'm having a willpower issue....

Easy there, big fella! I don't want to break out the muzzle --

Bob is a killer player! I've seen the DVD and it's great to know a bit of the "human" side of his humble beginnings! Great post.

Paul Poovey
KarlTrumpet55

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby started at IU when I started, which was 1973. Not the 80's. It was a h--- of a long haul for him to become the player he is today. He had a double einsetzen embouchure (mthpce inside both lips), an Olds Ambassador trumpet. He did not play well. He would not quit however, and after much persistence got Mr. Adam to take him on (Mr. Adam liked his "want to"). Bobby paid major dues to re-do his face and get his air together, reading, styles, etc... He and I were room-mates and remain best friends. He went from a mess to world class, which he is today, in every way, as a player and as a man. A real inspiration. When my wife and I heard him with EW&F live last summer I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, I was so impressed and so proud of him.
Rhodesian Ridgeback Owner
Victory Vision Traveler
ksievers@ou.edu
PH

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl!

Thanks for dropping by. Please come again.
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early part of 2000 I did a Broadway show with Bobby..But in Oslo Norway for I think 3 weeks..The section was Bobby playing lead,me playing the 2nd book,a young Sean Jones playing 4th tpt..i forget who played 3rd tpt,but it was the show Sophisticated Ladies..I had never met Bobby before,but I liked him right away for his laid back vibe,positive outlook and killer chops/sound..It was a really good/fun section,and I had the solo on Rocking chair,which after about about a week I let Bobby play it one Night(we were switching a few parts for the hell of it) and MAN..talk about re doing the solo up to I think a solid C# ..yep..that one,was impressive..Great guy,and we kept in touch after that tour,..i`m not surprised at all with his success with Earth,Wind,Fire..On another note,Sean Jones was just out of College,and as the show got on in the run,they started to open up the exit music to give people a chance to blow,and when they pointed to this young cat..WOW!..If anybody is not hip to Sean Jones,go to youtube and check him out..I was surrounded by some serious royalty on that gig!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby and I have been friends since we played together in the L.A. Jazz Workshop bands in the mid-1980's along with Wayne Bergeron and a lot of other guys that have gone on to become heavy-hitters. Then, years later in 2002 in Berlin, Germany while playing on Disney's "Der Glöckner von Notre Dame" (Hunchback; which finally made its American debut at the La Jolla Playhouse this past Fall!), I got called to sub on the production of "Evita" that was coming through town, so I subbed out my show (variety is the spice of life) and low and behold, who did I run into but Bobby who was playing the 1st book on "Evita"! During that short time he was in Berlin we had a great time. We had him over for a couple of afternoon BBQs and on one of those occasions he and I spent the day trading Bill Adams and Claude Gordon info and ideas. Great times! Back then he was also Macy Gray's trumpet player when she toured.

Then a few months later, Hunchy closed after a three year run and fortunately for me, Bobby got other (probably better) work, so after just about a month or so of being unemployed I got the call to play the 1st Book permanently on "Evita" when it returned to Berlin that September.

I was so happy for him when he got the EW&F gig - and he sure has lived up to the part! He's a genuine, warmhearted, good person as well. And as anybody who knows his story knows, Bobby is living proof that as Claude Gordon said, "If you have the desire to work as hard as you must and the perseverance to stick with it until you accomplish your goal, then YOU HAVE THE TALENT."

Best wishes,

John Mohan
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speakin a' Sean Jones, here he is clowning around with Jens Lindeman, nice and easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED3hYB-5KFM

Yes that is an A above high C he comes in on nice and clean, like it was a walk in the park.
JohnSnell
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate to be at the concert for that live recording. What's amazing is Bobby had just joined the band at the start of that tour.

By the way, Bobby will be featured on the next episode of The Other Side of the Bell posting mid-February!
Facebook
Twitter
The Other Side of the Bell - A Trumpet Podcast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: