• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High School Pit Orchestra

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edevlin96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: High School Pit Orchestra Reply with quote

So I'm first chair/principal/lead trumpet in every ensemble I'm in, and this is my second year as lead in pit, but at my school the talent pool is not all that large so honestly I'm not that good, I only am on paper because of the slim pickings. Last year was certainly a success, but this year's a little heavier on the sustained higher stuff, so I was looking for some advice on practicing intonation and getting volume on B-D sustained notes, and on flutter tonguing. As far as fluttering goes, I can barely get my tongue to flutter without the instrument on my face, so how can I train myself to actually put it into practice? Keys are really not an issue for me, I've gotten very good at reading in keys and I always mark notes that I'm likely to miss. Also, we have two weekends of shows this year, and usually I'm totally dead for a few days after show weekend, so what can I do to conserve chops/be more efficient and not be gone for that week in between...there are not as many tacets or rests in general for this show as I'm used to, so I can tell it's going to be more intensive for sure. Last, there's an insane amount of trills for a trumpet part, so any tips on how to make those sound not horribly ugly would be welcomed.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What show are you doing?
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your style of writing! you sound pretty cool

Flutter tongue can also be done in the back of your throat, and LOTS of players actually do it that way. Its just as good a way to do it. I bet that will work for you.

As for the endurance, make sure you practice playing in that register SOFTLY was well as loudly. The soft practice will give a feel for playing the notes more efficiently and easily. The loud practice gives you more strength but you have GOT to do both. In lots of shows you can actually lay out a fair amount stuff and the show is just as good. When they do the shows with a cut down pit they might not even have any trumpet parts. SO customize it to what you can do, but pick the right spots to lay out. The director can help you with that too of course...
you'll be fine
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
edevlin96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
What show are you doing?

We're doing the RSC version of Wizard of Oz...last year was Beauty and the Beast.
edevlin96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
I like your style of writing! you sound pretty cool

Flutter tongue can also be done in the back of your throat, and LOTS of players actually do it that way. Its just as good a way to do it. I bet that will work for you.

As for the endurance, make sure you practice playing in that register SOFTLY was well as loudly. The soft practice will give a feel for playing the notes more efficiently and easily. The loud practice gives you more strength but you have GOT to do both. In lots of shows you can actually lay out a fair amount stuff and the show is just as good. When they do the shows with a cut down pit they might not even have any trumpet parts. SO customize it to what you can do, but pick the right spots to lay out. The director can help you with that too of course...
you'll be fine

I'm hoping to get my hands on the 2nd part book soon so I'll be able to see where there's unison, so that will definitely be helpful. I'll definitely have to try out the back of the throat fluttering, the show isn't until March, we just got our music exceptionally early this year, usually it's mid to late January!

Thanks so much!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've seen the movie, then you've seen that show. The only addition is "Jitterbug" which from what I understand, was in the movie but was cut.

If I remember correctly about range, 1st has some Ds, 2nd maybe some Bbs.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
edevlin96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
If you've seen the movie, then you've seen that show. The only addition is "Jitterbug" which from what I understand, was in the movie but was cut.

My intonation is rough on any sustained Ds and Cs so I'm hoping to work that out, but otherwise, range isn't too bad, and any big jumps between octaves are rips which is a godsend. I've been trying and failing to find recordings for free online, so I may just use the music from the movie if it matches, or if the keys are different I can transpose or just finger along for now, hopefully the director will post the recordings soon!
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Beauty and the Beast was way more of a blow than the RSC Wizard of Oz. That is because there were a few more soaring type lines to play. For Oz, a real key thing is to play the articulations cleanly. Some of the phrases are repeated over and over.
As Tim mentioned, Jitterbug is not in the movie. It's a big dance scene and pretty long so the horn is on your face a lot.
Opinions differ, but when I'm playing a tough show, I like to focus heavily on keeping my face as relaxed as possible, i.e. focusing on air support and not over playing. And, between shows, I like to do a simple set of basics like Schlossberg VERY softly and a lot of double pedals softly. That may not be best for everyone, but really helps me.
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have no teacher, this is my best effort.

Quote:
but at my school the talent pool is not all that large so honestly I'm not that good, I only am on paper because of the slim pickings.

Rule 1 - It's good to be honest with yourself, but don't sell yourself short.

Quote:
I was looking for some advice on practicing intonation and getting volume on B-D sustained notes

Long tones up there with a tuner, or taking simple vocalaise etudes up there with a tuner. If it is simply too short a time to build your technique, you could always get a mouthpiece for that kind of playing. I did when I was your age, because I was largely in the same boat.

Quote:
and on flutter tonguing

I was taught that flutter tonguing was actually misnomer, and it's a guttural sound - a growling(but not a growl in trumpet pedagogy). You growl with the uvula/soft palate against the tongue. Flutter tounging on the trumpet is actually growling through the horn. (Think Chewbacca, and you will be off to a good start.) It take orders of magnitude more air to flutter tongue properly.

Quote:
what can I do to conserve chops/be more efficient and not be gone for that week in between

Resting(not playing a day or two) is fine. Soft mouthpiece work and pedals extending to your upper register as well. Get a brilliant sound at soft dynamics. See if there are any parts you can just lay out on besides trumpet doubling. If you are not getting paid, don't kill yourself.

Quote:
there's an insane amount of trills for a trumpet part, so any tips on how to make those sound not horribly ugly would be welcomed.

Trills between partials are pretty tough (G/F at the top of the staff, for instance) and take a great deal of control and pro's struggle with them. The best thing to do if they sound bad is practice them slowly, and slowly speed them up, and keep the air relentless. Get the knack for them in you ears and chops.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edevlin96 wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:
What show are you doing?

We're doing the RSC version of Wizard of Oz...last year was Beauty and the Beast.

Wizard of Oz is cake compared to Beauty and the Beast. It's not rangy, and anything high isn't exposed or critical. Have fun with it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:

Gee what else to do when the winged monkeys are coming after you?...Jitterbug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0TYTIksulU

Last edited by ohiotpt on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: OWN IT BROTHER! Reply with quote

Just to back up the others here:

In case RULE ONE isn't clear, let's get this straight. You're NUMBER ONE because you are the RIGHT GUY FOR THE JOB. Own it and LEAD. If you turn around and LEAD that section, they will follow and get BETTER. There's a difference between "1st chair" and "LEAD Trumpet", LOL! Something in you decided to not play drums or saxophone, so wrap your chops around everything that comes with the territory!

I've seen really good players who can't lead a section or a band to save their lives. Great on the audition or in the practice room, but the final performance has no edge on it. Fortunately, they can only take up one chair at a time. The old joke applies, "How many trumpet players does it take to change a lightbulb?" Answer: Only one, but 9 others will say, "OH, well I can do THAT...".

Flutter tongue is an effect. Lots of guys can't do it; lots more never need it. You can flutter the tongue, or substitute a growl, as mentioned, but they don't sound the same. The flutter-tongue can be done much louder than the growl, but it's just an effect, so it's not like symphony-snobs are going to tell you that you're doing it wrong, LOL!

This always cracks me up: Here's an exercise to learn to roll your spanish "r's" and get the flutter-tongue going: http://youtu.be/7oN7X9z6Cc4

There is another similar distortion effect where you actually vocally hum as you play the note(s), which I find most appealing, although I have the most trouble with the coordination required to pull it off. Really cool to dirty-up your jazz licks.
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
edevlin96

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: OWN IT BROTHER! Reply with quote

furcifer wrote:
Just to back up the others here:

In case RULE ONE isn't clear, let's get this straight. You're NUMBER ONE because you are the RIGHT GUY FOR THE JOB. Own it and LEAD. If you turn around and LEAD that section, they will follow and get BETTER. There's a difference between "1st chair" and "LEAD Trumpet", LOL! Something in you decided to not play drums or saxophone, so wrap your chops around everything that comes with the territory!

I've seen really good players who can't lead a section or a band to save their lives. Great on the audition or in the practice room, but the final performance has no edge on it. Fortunately, they can only take up one chair at a time. The old joke applies, "How many trumpet players does it take to change a lightbulb?" Answer: Only one, but 9 others will say, "OH, well I can do THAT...".

Flutter tongue is an effect. Lots of guys can't do it; lots more never need it. You can flutter the tongue, or substitute a growl, as mentioned, but they don't sound the same. The flutter-tongue can be done much louder than the growl, but it's just an effect, so it's not like symphony-snobs are going to tell you that you're doing it wrong, LOL!

This always cracks me up: Here's an exercise to learn to roll your spanish "r's" and get the flutter-tongue going: http://youtu.be/7oN7X9z6Cc4

There is another similar distortion effect where you actually vocally hum as you play the note(s), which I find most appealing, although I have the most trouble with the coordination required to pull it off. Really cool to dirty-up your jazz licks.

I'm clearly about a month late, but I didn't see this until now of course!

If there's one thing that I am unshakably confident in it's my leadership ability for my section. This is my second year with the title, and I had a major confidence boost after I had parents coming up to me and asking why I'm not our marching band's drum major, to which I tell them the honest truth that I did not bother to audition because I would much rather be down on the field, I may not have gotten my solo, and I knew that my director wouldn't choose me because he needed me to be a role model and leader on the field. In jazz, I play lead and am 100% sure to constantly set the example and to offer help when those around me need it.

It took me a while, but I realized that the things I said and the attitudes that I had/have about things has rubbed off on everyone in the music program, which is certainly scary, but totally makes me feel great about my abilities as a leader, and as a player.

I did an honors' band and made 2nd chair and got invited to district honors' band, though I have another commitment, which was another major boost to the ego, lol. As for my playing, I don't think I've had any instructor or even clinician NOT compliment my tone, so I certainly do recognize that I have some talent, I just don't see myself as a god, and a lot of that is because I don't feel I have as much time as I'd like to have to put into improving. Sure, I practice pretty much every day and improve, but I can tell I have potential I have yet to tap into.

Rehearsals have started, and I don't feel behind at all, and, slowly but surely the more technical issues are coming along. My biggest issue with this show is going to be endurance, I can tell. We rehearse around 2 hours every day, and I play for 2 more hours during the day on top of that, so I'm trying to practice for around an hour every night as well.

Sorry for the novel, and thank you, I certainly could use the words of encouragement sometimes. I can honestly say one of the best feelings in the world is watching my section follow right behind me and improve...I've been giving lessons to a middle school student who has improved vastly since we began, and hearing that her directors are complimenting her and then having them come and tell me how great she's doing is quite an incredible thing.
MaestroTrpt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi edevlin-
From what I remember when I played the show, the first trpt of "WOZ" doubles the second in certain sections AND they are printed in the same book. Also, this show rarely has long scenes: the music is almost constant. There are also a lot of cues that coincide with stage business (i.e.- Glinda will wave her staff or something, and the orchestra answers musically). Pay close attention (but you probably already do ).

"The Jitterbug" was really the only tune that really stretched me to my limits (range and endurance). However, it's jazzy, fun, loud, and you get to rip some cool licks.

"WOZ" (as most of us know) is a LOOONG show, though. I would defer to the others on this thread as far as practicing methods. Personally, I try to practice (at home) the length of time that I'll actually have the trumpet to my face in the rehearsal.
During the week between show weekends, even though your lip might be dead, still practice (albeit lightly). You don't want to lose your endurance by having the horn off your face for too long b/w shows.
All the best, and have fun with it!
edevlin96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaestroTrpt wrote:
Hi edevlin-
From what I remember when I played the show, the first trpt of "WOZ" doubles the second in certain sections AND they are printed in the same book. Also, this show rarely has long scenes: the music is almost constant. There are also a lot of cues that coincide with stage business (i.e.- Glinda will wave her staff or something, and the orchestra answers musically). Pay close attention (but you probably already do ).

"The Jitterbug" was really the only tune that really stretched me to my limits (range and endurance). However, it's jazzy, fun, loud, and you get to rip some cool licks.

"WOZ" (as most of us know) is a LOOONG show, though. I would defer to the others on this thread as far as practicing methods. Personally, I try to practice (at home) the length of time that I'll actually have the trumpet to my face in the rehearsal.
During the week between show weekends, even though your lip might be dead, still practice (albeit lightly). You don't want to lose your endurance by having the horn off your face for too long b/w shows.
All the best, and have fun with it!

During rehearsal, and just looking through the book I've seen that there are spots that double that I'll be able to rest on. I am now also being doubled, though it is by someone who really does need to be covered up because our director felt an obligation to give her a way to get out of her house because of issues at home. I'm hoping that I'll find spots where she can cover a note or short phrase so I can take small breathers and not push myself too hard. Jitterbug is most definitely going to push me too my limits, but I agree that it's a fun and jazzy song for sure! We're still waiting to find out if there are any cuts because it is so long, and the school always makes cuts to avoid too much choreography and dancing, which is a good portion of the song as is. Thanks for the input!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to get through it? Be practicing a lot, but always put the horn down while your chops still feel good. Over-doing it only sets you back.

If your school playing has you playing loud, no need to practice loud. Work on your very best sound, and bring down the dynamic level without losing any tone. With that, work on being super precise and clean. Amazing how much more difficult even super easy exercises become when you have all those goals going on inside your head. This show doesn't really require anything beyond having your fundamentals together as well as I'm describing, and these are great ways to work towards that.

Another good thing to work with is the idea of practicing one "heavy day," with the next day being a "light day." Build up, don't tear down. All ideas here from the late great Dr Donald S Rhinehardt
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good stuff here.. shows can be quite challenging musically and physically, prepare for both. Keep your ears open and don't be afraid to make good musical decisions-if a part is written high, but in your production is too exposed or overpowering what's happening on stage then drop the octave, mute, or find another solution. Like the actors/singers/dancers will adjust the show to their skills, do the same in the pit.

One summer I played West Side Story with w different troops, one pit was 18 musicians in a deep pit under the stage and the other was 6 musicians at the same level as the front row of the audience. I played the book in very different ways.

NOTE: "Flutter Tonging" IS done with the tip the tongue, "Growling" involves vocalization and or the epiglottis, vocalization alone might get you a multi-phonic sound (more common with trombonists - getting 2 or more pitches happening at the same time). There is a difference in the effect, they are somewhat similar in sound, so you may get away with using one in place of the other. But they ARE different.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are concerned with your endurance, the best bit of advice I can give is to never play too loud.

Trumpet, especially 1st Trumpet, by the simple nature of the beast, will always be heard. And if it's not, that's more than likely because other sections are playing way too loud. If that's the case, it's up to the MD to remedy, not you.

Because you're in a pit for a musical, everything you do is subservient to what's happening on stage. When I started playing musicals (1972 - "How to Succeed..."), I had excellent instruction from the MD, who told me "Never play at a volume where you can't hear everything that's happening on stage."

I have followed that advice for over 170 musicals/revues/operas/etc., and singers always like it when I'm in their pit. Cruise ship cast members would be the exception to that, but then again - those people are on an entirely different level (much lower) than any truly professional or high-quality amateur production would have.

But I digress...

Even on sections where it's marked F or FF, always play smart. Those dynamic markings mean to simply bring that part out, not to plaster it up to a press box.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
If you are concerned with your endurance, the best bit of advice I can give is to never play too loud.

Trumpet, especially 1st Trumpet, by the simple nature of the beast, will always be heard. And if it's not, that's more than likely because other sections are playing way too loud. If that's the case, it's up to the MD to remedy, not you.

Because you're in a pit for a musical, everything you do is subservient to what's happening on stage. When I started playing musicals (1972 - "How to Succeed..."), I had excellent instruction from the MD, who told me "Never play at a volume where you can't hear everything that's happening on stage."

I have followed that advice for over 170 musicals/revues/operas/etc., and singers always like it when I'm in their pit. Cruise ship cast members would be the exception to that, but then again - those people are on an entirely different level (much lower) than any truly professional or high-quality amateur production would have.

But I digress...
K
Even on sections where it's marked F or FF, always play smart. Those dynamic markings mean to simply bring that part out, not to plaster it up to a press box.

I wish more pit musicians understood this. Especially, dare I say, the trumpet players. Just recently I sat 2nd Book for a show and was shocked with how insanely loud the lead player was. He even laughed and made jokes when the ww gave a half turn his way. I think it took 3 or 4 attempts by the conductor to get any noticeable difference out of him.
edevlin96

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all great advice, I really appreciate it! Playing lead last year on BATB is definitely helping me. I have yet to have issues with keys, and I've been good already about interpreting the dynamics relatively rather than at face value...I've only had to be told to back off once in 3 weeks of rehearsal, and had to bring my part out in the solo line in the opening and in one other song.

Our pit is a little big this year which is definitely going to be a concern, but having experienced playing in the pit twice is already helping me to know when to adapt, even if it takes me a bit to figure out exactly how. We've started working with some of the younger cast members who need to become accustomed to singing with a live orchestra, and with the mics it's looking like our only real issue will be with the younger kids playing the munchkins, but that's not likely to be an issue of playing too loud for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: