• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking For a New Trumpet For a Recreational Jazz Player.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FREDRIQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Looking For a New Trumpet For a Recreational Jazz Player. Reply with quote

I'm graduating this fall from my high school (which I'm leaving with Concert, Symphonic, and Jazz bands all under my belt) and plan to play jazz as a hobby. I'm still using my trumpet from 6th grade and was wondering if you all would have any good suggestions for trumpets. I don't care all to much for the price range, just not gold-plated, opal topped valves or anything like that.

P.s. Thanks to those who left suggestions on a previous post about my chops wearing out after 3 strait hours of band. couldn't thanks you enough after the post timed out.
m3auer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a lot of jazz and I love my Bach Mariachi. It sizzles and responds beautifully.
brassjunky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are dozens of suitable horns you could use. I would try out many and find one that you like the feel of when you play jazz. Maybe it give you a sound you dig, and/or maybe its the response. Good luck
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the trumpet you want is a cornet. Unless if by "jazz" you mean burying the band, playing lead?

Now once you get a nice cornet that lends itself to the timbre and volume you want, you have a whole world of mouthpieces that open up to you.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Getzen 900 Eterna Classic seems to be a fine horn for the money. Spec's for the horn are near identical to vintage Getzen Severinsens.

Jim
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your sound concept. Who do you emulate?
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Blessing Flugel
Do you want a trumpet or cornet?
A.Windisch Silber-Deluxe, Dresden
Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' piccolo
Conn 'Connstellation' 28A
SO many more trumpets.....
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what do you mean by "jazz"? If you like vintage horns, I can recommend some Buescher models that are versatile.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I would suggest the trumpet you want is a cornet. Unless if by "jazz" you mean burying the band, playing lead?

Now once you get a nice cornet that lends itself to the timbre and volume you want, you have a whole world of mouthpieces that open up to you.

What ???
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try horns until you find one that speaks to you. Go with the one that gives you a sound that motivates you and allows you to be as free in your playing as possible. Don't waste any time worrying that some particular horn won't have the right sound. There are few genres more accommodating for you to have your own sound.

And know that jazz covers a lot of territory, from screaming high notes to sultry ballads to energetic Dixieland... Narrowing down what exactly you want to do could help narrow your choices and your recommendations.

And just so you know, one of my favorite jazz playing friends is still playing (in his 40's,maybe 50's) the same horn and mouthpiece he's had all his life, I think it's a King Silver Flair with a Bach 5C, and he sounds just great on it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you interested in a new "new trumpet" or a trumpet that's new to you? Do you want a trumpet focusing on playing lead in a big band or playing in the section of a big band or playing improvisational solos (big band or combo) or is your primary interest an all-around trumpet that's workable for all the foregoing (although it might not be the best choice for any of the foregoing)?
dadtkm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with cheiden. When I got my trumpet I got to play several different horns over a period of about a week. The one I chose kept drawing me back. The more I played it the more I had to have it.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
razeontherock wrote:

What ???

What what?
aeterpllison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course jazz playing starts out recreationally. A few transcribed Chet Baker solos and listening to Kind of Blue seems harmless at first. Eventually, you will have to explain to your friends and family why you are always out at the clubs and jam sessions, and why you can't stop talking about Woody Shaw. Before long, you realize that your best friends are really seedy characters, like bass players or drummers. These are the same people that got you hooked on jazz in the first place! Some friends they are! Once you become a real heavy jazz player, your only hope is loving friends and family who will keep you away from that lifestyle. Just be careful. Recreational jazz playing can lead you down a very dark road.
aeterpllison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness though, you can play jazz on any trumpet as long as it is a good horn.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler Model T.
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comeback wrote:
The Getzen 900 Eterna Classic seems to be a fine horn for the money. Spec's for the horn are near identical to vintage Getzen Severinsens.

Jim

+1.

Tough to find a better value than a used Getzen Eterna 900 series. I play for fun and love mine. You can find a decent one for around or under $1,000 on eBay.

In one big band I played in, the lead trumpeter had essentially the same horn model as I did. He sounded great screaming in the upper register, and I could get a very warm, round sound for soloing (we had different mouthpieces, of course). It's a very versatile horn IMO.
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a CarolBrass CTR-5000-YLT, like new, for under $1000. I haven't had it very long but with the little bit I've played it so far, it can do anything I want it to. With a deeper flugel-like mouthpiece it's nice and smooth and dark. With my ABC MV3C it's got an awesome full tone with tons of core. With a lead mouthpiece, it can soar and sparkle. Really impressed with this horn.
ErikE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: New trumpet Reply with quote

If you've been playing the same horn for 7ish years, try a pro model of the same brand. If you like shopping around, there are thousands of options and the rest of your life (look around this site), but if you don't want to geek out that hard, you can probably upgrade to something that will feel pretty close to what you're used to. If you're still on the same mouthpiece, you may want to try 1 or 2 new things as well.

Good luck and have fun!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
Lawler Model T.

+1 No comparison in that price ($2375 in matt laq.) with ANY pro horn , full custom with countless oppions and hand made with Getzen valves.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: