• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Fingerings App Testing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Fowler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Trumpet Fingerings App Testing Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have been working on an Android app to replace trumpet fingering charts. I was looking for some people to test it out and give general feedback, but most importantly tell me if I missed any fingerings or displayed them incorrectly. Any help would be VERY much appreciated by myself and all of the trumpet players that will download the app.

Download the app at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.notely.trumpetfingerings

Last edited by Adam Fowler on Sun May 03, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

App looks nice. Here are a few observations:

The display is large and easy to read but some users may like the layout of the 'valves' in horizontal as that is a common way to display fingerings, though I doubt anyone would have problems with this being vertically represented.

You left out quite a few enharmonic notes, and no double flats or double sharps are represented, but I think you really need to add common enharmonic notes. The ones left out were:

Low G flat (1,2,3); Low C flat (2); first line E sharp (1); first space F flat (1,2); third line B sharp (open); fourth space C flat (2); fourth space E sharp (1), fifth line F flat (open); B sharp above staff (open); high C flat (2); high E sharp (1); high F flat (open). Also check all the B sharps as I think as a default your program is showing all open, but I don't know whether you have this programmed for these notes.

In addition, there are commonly used alternate fingers that I think would make a nice addition. Notes like fourth space E flat (2,3) and E natural (1,2) that help with intonation. And some people play the D above the staff open as an alternate fingering. And you stopped at F above High C. I think you should extend the range of your app up to an octave above High C. For fingerings in the altissimo range, you'll probably get a variety of input for certain pitches because people have different approaches for these fingerings usually based on the response of the horn, but you can generally use the fingerings from the octave below.

As you further develop this app you might want to consider adding pitches to each note as an option for people wanting to hear what the note sounds like. You'd probably have to have some sort of transpose function too, as the 'normal' trumpet is in B-flat. But anyway, for young players, it might be nice to be able to put a sound to the note they're seeing 'on the page' as it were.

Good luck! Looks like a great learning tool for the trumpet student!

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave makes some good points. as apps are information rich, it would be in order to put as much relevant stuff in there as possible. looking forward to the app.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: