• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NEW - Lynn Nicholson Video Clinic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: NEW - Lynn Nicholson Video Clinic Reply with quote

REVIEW - Lynn Nicholson of Las Vegas , Nevada has now given us all a wonderful gift. He has released a full 45 minute trumpet clinic on video where he explains how he and Maynard Ferguson both play(ed) entitled “Got High Notes”? Lynn covers everything within this video including the mouthpiece (big vs. small); the trumpet; the player; air compression (direction, amount needed for playing); the tensionless embouchure (relaxed chops); the embouchure anchor point; aggressively experimenting with concepts; using just the rim of a mouthpiece in your practice; correct playing posture; learning to pace oneself; physical exercise; his own chop problems; a very funny MF story and myths; Bud Brisbois; Lynn demonstrates plenty on his large-bore Bach and Lynn Nicholson Model Monette Prana with a 19 throat !!! Personally, (having viewed the video) I am excited about studying Lynn’s Video and working on his protocol.

Here is Lynn’s Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh9KI9E1knk

Lynn does not waste one minute of this Maynard Ferguson Protocol Video. He is either explaining or demonstrating the entire 45 minutes. After speaking with different trumpet world friends, Lynn has decided to release this video for a one week rental at $59.00 per week; or $99.00 for a three month rental. Most told him he was low-balling himself on these prices. His response, “I want to help people and we (Slawa) and I are not greedy people.”

Many do not know of Lynn’s back-ground. He was accepted to Berkley Scholl of Music in Boston; began performing with Maynard at 19 years of age; he also performed with Buddy Rich; the Toshiko Akiyoshi / Lew Tabackin Big Band; CHASE; as well as much playing in the Vegas scene where many got to know him and his playing. Roger Ingram has called Lynn’s Double C … the loudest he has ever heard.
I have an entire web page dedicated to Lynn on my website at TrumpetPlayersDirectory.com where I have also taken the liberty to offer up Jake Sommers (audio) interview with Lynn.

From Lynn …

“Greetings!
Have just completed a very concise and clearly articulated trumpet video discussing the playing protocol used by Maynard Ferguson and myself. "Got High Notes?" is now published on Vimeo On Demand. There are two rental periods available of the identical video:

A one week stream for the curious and a 3 month stream for the serious...... Here are the links:

Serious:
$99 USD 3 months
unlimited stream

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/31871

Curious:
$59 USD one week
unlimited stream

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/31870

Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, Russell! I did purchase the one week stream (identical videos, BTW; just a longer viewing time for the higher price). Eye opening video that clearly explains how Maynard was able to generate the sound and energy in his playing.

Lynn's sound is very close to the sound Maynard produced at the peak of his playing; and, Lynn does not hold back in how it is done. If you are willing to give his "protocol" a try, similar results are possible, but you have to be willing to let go of your current thinking.

One caveat, here, is Lynn is adamant this protocol is only used for those notes you currently do not own. You are instructed to use your regular embouchure for all playing, and then use the protocol for higher notes you wish to own.

I note a couple of posters have put this stream on a "view for free" basis. I recommend you buy the rights to the streaming video to respect the effort and energy that went into the production of Lynn's video.

Best to all,

RC

Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been checking out some of his Youtubes.............what he is able to play solely with the mouthpiece rim is amazing. If you can play on the rim like that then playing the trumpet must be so easy.......

Check out the youtube clip in 1974 playing the Macauther Park bridge and then watch him playing it now in his studio. I would say he is playing stronger now than ever!
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I believe in that recording the band had already played 2 or three sets before they videotaped the performance Live at the Top. Lynn was playing a HUGE mouthpiece then... I think he stated the inner diameter was .745...unbelievable. His inner diameter now is much smaller but his sound is bigger.

The rim playing is demonstrated often (it is part of the fundamental core he teaches) in his video and it is indeed amazing. I understand that Arturo can produce the same effect with just his thumb and fingers!

Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....I bougth the 3 month version to leave a better money flow to Lynn - excellent clinic - absolutely worth the money!

I am still hard working on my small GH .560 v-cup from Mark Curry (with screw rim) to manage a playing with the "shift" not only when coming to the range I can not manage musically until now: I will try to make it through all the registers exklusively using that mpc and it takes time - a lot of time, because the small v-cup is relentless in comparison to all others with lower alpha or undercut or wider rim as Lynn stated very precise in his video.

I don't really know but I assume Maynard does the same: playing unfirled all the way.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW - Lynn Nicholson Video Clinic Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
REVIEW - Lynn Nicholson of Las Vegas , Nevada has now given us all a wonderful gift. He has released a full 45 minute trumpet clinic on video where he explains how he and Maynard Ferguson both play(ed) entitled “Got High Notes”? Lynn covers everything within this video including the mouthpiece (big vs. small); the trumpet; the player; air compression (direction, amount needed for playing); the tensionless embouchure (relaxed chops); the embouchure anchor point; aggressively experimenting with concepts; using just the rim of a mouthpiece in your practice; correct playing posture; learning to pace oneself; physical exercise; his own chop problems; a very funny MF story and myths; Bud Brisbois; Lynn demonstrates plenty on his large-bore Bach and Lynn Nicholson Model Monette Prana with a 19 throat !!! Personally, (having viewed the video) I am excited about studying Lynn’s Video and working on his protocol.

Lynn does not waste one minute of this Maynard Ferguson Protocol Video. He is either explaining or demonstrating the entire 45 minutes. After speaking with different trumpet world friends, Lynn has decided to release this video for a one week rental at $59.00 per week; or $99.00 for a three month rental. Most told him he was low-balling himself on these prices. His response, “I want to help people and we (Slawa) and I are not greedy people.”

Many do not know of Lynn’s back-ground. He was accepted to Berkley Scholl of Music in Boston; began performing with Maynard at 19 years of age; he also performed with Buddy Rich; the Toshiko Akiyoshi / Lew Tabackin Big Band; CHASE; as well as much playing in the Vegas scene where many got to know him and his playing. Roger Ingram has called Lynn’s Double C … the loudest he has ever heard.
I have an entire web page dedicated to Lynn on my website at TrumpetPlayersDirectory.com where I have also taken the liberty to offer up Jake Sommers (audio) interview with Lynn.

From Lynn …

“Greetings!
Have just completed a very concise and clearly articulated trumpet video discussing the playing protocol used by Maynard Ferguson and myself. "Got High Notes?" is now published on Vimeo On Demand. There are two rental periods available of the identical video:

A one week stream for the curious and a 3 month stream for the serious...... Here are the links:

Serious:
$99 USD 3 months
unlimited stream

Curious:
$59 USD one week
unlimited stream

Honestly, I can't wait to implement this. I have been doing some rim alone buzzing and have already seen results on my own. Who knows what can happen with this video of MF's protocol.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn is obviously a great player, the price does seem a bit on the high side though compared to other online video services like HipBoneU, ArtistWorks and PlayWithAPro etc.
unclewawa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW - Lynn Nicholson Video Clinic Reply with quote

Have you or anyone that you know of actually increased their range by a 5th to an octave?
[/b]
RussellDDixon wrote:

From Lynn …

“Greetings!

Serious:
$99 USD 3 months
unlimited stream

Curious:
$59 USD one week
unlimited stream

Quote:
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle,

here is your reply from Lynn Nicholson as quaoted from the other forum you posted on -

"The most extreme example was a player who participated in a group lesson a few years ago, when I still taught privately. There were 4-5 players in the group, all of whom had lots of questions. This player, who had a range of about high E-F, sat quietly and just listened. I figured he wasn't getting it. After the initial presentation, I sent the players to different rooms about the house to try out the concepts on their own. In a few minutes I heard someone in one of the other rooms arpeggiating very accurately and cleanly all over the horn. As I listened, he worked his way up and made it up to triple C. I asked the player who stayed with me (who was BTW a bit shocked) if this was normal for this very quiet trumpet player. He said absolutely not, so to verify, I went and asked the quiet player directly. He could barely contain his enthusiasm, and said this was the happiest day of his life. Soooo, that's about a 5th, plus another octave. He listened to the concepts, and spontaneously let go of the conventional wisdom that wasn't working for him, and proceeded to apply the radical approach that Maynard and I employ. This player was upstream, so he sounded more like Brisbois than Maynard, but the protocol is the same. There are several other examples of this spontaneous protocol implementation, most with a range increase of a 5th or more, but equally important, a full/uniform sound, unlike most of the mosquito players I hear today. At the very least, most players end up with a greatly improved sound. I myself spontaneously implemented the protocol (weak high F to roaring double C in 10 minutes), a few years before I met Maynard. When I finally saw/heard him play, I received massive confirmation of the protocol's efficacy. Sadly, most players have difficulty "wiping their slate clean" as Maynard would say. Your mileage may vary, but your success will be directly proportional to how easily you can let go of your current way of playing upstairs and fully embrace something new that actually works. Lots of snake oil out there. This is the real deal....."
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't help myself and did rent it for a week. Nothing is for everyone. As you might expect, it's really an extreme register video, and the technique is for people who want to play in the extremes for the majority of their playing, and who are going to use equipment suitable to that task (i.e. very small). I don't think it is going to work so well with a large mouthpiece, so if you were hoping to just add some screech notes to your Bach 3C this probably won't do it.

So it's back to the practice room for me...
lynn9544

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidBrassObsession wrote:
I couldn't help myself and did rent it for a week. Nothing is for everyone. As you might expect, it's really an extreme register video, and the technique is for people who want to play in the extremes for the majority of their playing, and who are going to use equipment suitable to that task (i.e. very small). I don't think it is going to work so well with a large mouthpiece, so if you were hoping to just add some screech notes to your Bach 3C this probably won't do it.

To be clear, yes, the MF Protocol works more efficiently on a smaller inner diameter mp, and best on a small v-cup. However, it works on any trumpet mouthpiece. Witness my .740" ID mp I played on Chase's band (see photo comparing same to my current .600" diameter v-cup). Not sure why you're playing a 3C, but the myth of "big mouthpiece big sound" is addressed in the video. Those who have heard me live know that my sound is huge all the way up and down, not just loud, and I play a small v-cup like Maynard did in his prime. Anyone who wants to improve sound and range will benefit from "Got High Notes?", but it requires abandoning conventional wisdom where your range stops, and embracing something new, something that Maynard and I both employ in our playing.

I once told a Bill Adam student that I could show him how to play above his G-A. He asked, Is it compatible with my way of playing? I said, No, but your normal range will be unaffected. He said, then I'm not interested. His range never increased, while I continue to maintain an F-G above double C in a musical context. What does this tell us? Conventional regurgitated methods provide consistently ordinary results so typical of those employed by the herd, while the radical MF Protocol provides extraordinary results....

https://scontent-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/1913261_441559912660877_1956845817951562385_o.jpg

Thanks for your input.... Hope all is well in your world....
Spirithorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn -

You have probably answered this question numerous times, so please forgive if this is repetitive. I was wondering what your rationale was for the 0.740" ID piece back in the Chase days. By my reckoning this is even bigger than a Schilke 24, the largest production rim that I know of. It's certainly true, as you say, that "big mouthpiece big sound" is a myth, at least that a big mouthpiece is an absolute requirement for a big sound. Anyway, just curious, since you surely do it all on the 0.600" these days!

Regards,
Alan
lynn9544

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirithorn wrote:
Lynn -

You have probably answered this question numerous times, so please forgive if this is repetitive. I was wondering what your rationale was for the 0.740" ID piece back in the Chase days. By my reckoning this is even bigger than a Schilke 24, the largest production rim that I know of. It's certainly true, as you say, that "big mouthpiece big sound" is a myth, at least that a big mouthpiece is an absolute requirement for a big sound. Anyway, just curious, since you surely do it all on the 0.600" these days!

Regards,
Alan

Hey Alan,

I spun the mouthpiece in a drill clamped in a vice and cut it with a knife until I had a rim/cup that looked like it might work, then smoothed it with sandpaper. I probably got carried away..... I was 20 and had no rationale at all. It wasn't until many years later that I measured the piece, and realized it was a tad on the wide side..... Good thing I didn't know it at the time, huh? Hehehe.... Hope you're well.....
Spirithorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That procedure makes perfect sense to me, Lynn. Looking back from a current perspective of 64, believe me I know about being 20 and having "no rationale at all"! And not just with respect to trumpet playing...

Hope you're well also.
lazyduck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was helpful to hear before I looked into buying it. Thanks
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazyduck wrote:

I should probably clarify... I don't think Lynn is selling snake oil or anything. I was just trying to say that, as with all things, there's no guarantee it will work for you. Personally, I find when I unfurl like Lynn suggests I can only get either air, a mid-register buzz or a sputter. I'm not saying it won't work for other people though. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or maybe it's a personal physical attribute (Eg. I have a cupid's bow, so that might really shut off the aperture's ability to vibrate when unfurled.)

Part of the job of being a teacher is helping a student around their personal roadblocks. Obviously that can't happen via a video. So, I think*** if you want to know what Lynn is teaching, it'd be better to do it in person (or via Skype?), because hopefully those that wouldn't be able to get it from the video, would be able to via a lesson.

The price was a bit steep though in my opinion. I have bought several trumpet DVDs in the past (John Thomas, James Morrison etc) and they were normally around the $30 mark, and for that you get the disc and could re-watch until you happened to lose it or wear it out! So what was for me over $75 (in my currency) for a one week rental was quite a lot. Maybe I'm a cheap skate but for a one-week digital rental, I think around $15 is the right price point. If you were buying the video to keep? Maybe $40?
I don't know. That might just be me though. But the competition is that right now, I have access for a month to probably 20 hours worth of great quality video content from David Bilger for $35... So comparing the value here makes it somewhat tough

I'm curious if anyone out there on TH did buy it and really 'get it'?
If so, I'm waiting to hear your 'MF in G's! haha
---

*** I think = It's just my opinion, and I'm not any kind of expert. Form your own opinion!
lynn9544

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazyduck wrote:

I should probably clarify... I don't think Lynn is selling snake oil or anything. I was just trying to say that, as with all things, there's no guarantee it will work for you. Personally, I find when I unfurl like Lynn suggests I can only get either air, a mid-register buzz or a sputter. I'm not saying it won't work for other people though. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or maybe it's a personal physical attribute (Eg. I have a cupid's bow, so that might really shut off the aperture's ability to vibrate when unfurled.)

Part of the job of being a teacher is helping a student around their personal roadblocks. Obviously that can't happen via a video. So, I think*** if you want to know what Lynn is teaching, it'd be better to do it in person (or via Skype?), because hopefully those that wouldn't be able to get it from the video, would be able to via a lesson.

The price was a bit steep though in my opinion. I have bought several trumpet DVDs in the past (John Thomas, James Morrison etc) and they were normally around the $30 mark, and for that you get the disc and could re-watch until you happened to lose it or wear it out! So what was for me over $75 (in my currency) for a one week rental was quite a lot. Maybe I'm a cheap skate but for a one-week digital rental, I think around $15 is the right price point. If you were buying the video to keep? Maybe $40?
I don't know. That might just be me though. But the competition is that right now, I have access for a month to probably 20 hours worth of great quality video content from David Bilger for $35... So comparing the value here makes it somewhat tough

I'm curious if anyone out there on TH did buy it and really 'get it'?
If so, I'm waiting to hear your 'MF in G's! haha
---

*** I think = It's just my opinion, and I'm not any kind of expert. Form your own opinion!

No, "Got High Notes?" is not snake oil....

I'll be brief, so forgive my directness. If you're getting a mid range buzz/sputter, you're not using your air correctly as described in the video. The protocol is a holistic/conceptual description of how Maynard physically did what he did, based on my original insights, and direct observations of the master in a variety of playing situations. Any attempt to compartmentalize (for example, unfurl the chops) the various individual elements of the adaptive algorithm will be met with only partial success or complete failure. BTW, as stated in the video, chops are only 10% of the equation, if that....

Pursuant to pricing, the longest unlimited streaming rental period (3 months) is less than half a single lesson with me when I quit teaching privately over a year ago. If you want cheap, there are many who post for free. Former students have sent me a few links, so I've heard some of these "alleged" teachers play, and they are laughable at best, while their concepts are not just wrong/limited, but destructive to anyone wanting to play as Maynard did. I heard one the most ludicrous of all the other day, that would have been included in my trumpet myths portion of the video, stating that the abs are used to play louder, NOT higher. Seriously? I guess Maynard, Bud and I did it wrong all these years....

Above all, I humbly honor Maynard with the video. I was blessed to see him in action in his prime. My main reason for doing the video, is that I feel compelled to ACCURATELY pass on part of his legacy. The MF Protocol is magic, but requires effort/experimentation for full/correct implementation. I imagine it's intimidating to those players who spend all their time in some sort comfort zone hell. To those I would ask, How long are you going to continue to practice the same thing over and over and over, while expecting a different result?

Squeaky arpeggios to some unknown pitch don't qualify as method efficacy. Instead, can your free/cheap teachers do this? Here's the real protocol at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aUpzzzz3OA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTDREVVTcZo

Peace
nigelcathey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love lynn's playing and aggressiveneses
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn's playing examples usually showcase his virtuosity and command of the horn at full or near full volume; and, with a consistent sound in all registers. I found this clip of him playing the trumpet with a more traditional sound; but consistent in all registers to triple Bb.

WOW! What a musician. He can do it all. He just choses to play his heart out in the upper register for most of his clips- Thanks, Lynn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMh3K6JdgN4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: