• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arturo's Trumpet Evolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yawn....

everyone: please.... if you want to listen to virtuosity without content, be my guest. If i buy a sound system i listen to the MUSIC, i don't watch the decibel dials and marvel at the fact that my amp has 500 watts per channel, if ya know whatta mean. i would respectfully opt for recordings with..uh..what were their names again...? oh yeah, i remember now: CLIFFORD BROWN, FATS NAVARRO, DIIZY GILLESPIE, ROY ELDRIDGE, LEE MORGAN, FREDDIE HUBBARD aka the musical genuises ________________________
enter your favorite

but you're right he plays a mean F#!

[ This Message was edited by: Ruechel on 2003-12-06 18:15 ]
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

I think Sandoval is an amazing trumpeter, but now he forgot WHY play music. If i want to listen the cliford brown solo on joyspring i just listen a clifford cd , so "WHY" listen sandoval playing the clifford solo with a clifford sound? for me there is no musical reason to listen this cd.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arturo has had some great original CD's - including "Hot House". I think you need to look at his intent on making this CD. It was to pay homage to the trumpet players that helped shape and influence trumpet playing as we know it today.
It also gave him the chance to show that he can imitate other players - which is pretty cool for a player. I think all of us have done that to some extent.

I do agree that this is not a CD, though I think he did a great job on it (except Maynards tune), that I would consider just popping in the CD to listen to for the music. I am moe likely to listen to a Chris Botti, Wayne Bergeron or George Graham CD. It is an interesting and very well done CD.

Mike
jazzbebopswing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A matter of taste, I suppose.

I was first introduce to Arturo with his I Remember Clifford CD. I heard it, liked it, bought it and have bought very little of his since. I shot Arturo (photographically) during a concert where he performed with a local H.S. I liked the performance. I like most of his performance. The problem is, for me, I don't find his playing style too appealing. He plays very LOUD and very BOLDLY! Even the quiet passages sound aggressive. Although he can play loud and soft the dynamics, in a way that transcends volume, seem to be lacking.

If you've heard Mr. Sandoval play the piano recently you likely know what I mean. There's a certain subtlety that I think is missing. Can he play? No doubt. Just not with the kind of flow I could listen to for hours on end.

A matter of taste, I suppose.

Mark
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the radio today I heard this excellent harmon muted soloing and it turned out to be the late Conte Candoli.

The DJ said it was from Conte's Tribute album paying homage to several trumpet players. Wonder how that album compares to Arturo's?

Arturo is going to be in Los Angeles on Jan. 7, 2004 at the Cerritos center for performing arts. 8:00pm
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a matter of taste is right.

i think there is nothing 'cool' about imitating another player. i think being influenced by other players is cool. what i mean is, you can hear that dizzy was influenced greatly by eldridge and i think i hear a lot of lee morgan in hubbard's playing (stylistically) BUT to simply reproduce another artist's solo, to me, serves no purpose creatively. there are other people (and this was mentioned by someone a while ago) who have interpreted the work of the masters in their way, bringing their own creativity and love to the pieces, which is a far greater compliment, i think.

arturo plays exactly like one of you quoted, loudly and boldly but as if he were trying to dominate his instrument. there is nothing sensitive or reflective about his playing. nobody dominates their instrument. ever. not even pops did and neither would he have wanted to.

as far as his piano playing, i totally agree, it's a bit unpolished and to be frank, quite boring.

lastly, chris botti and those cats - i cannot STAND that easy listening stuff but at least that's what it is supposed to be and, if you like it, more power to you. whatever speaks to you and makes you happy, you should listen to. i think i'd rather listen to botti (his "imitation" of miles' sound is actually quite good - down to the vintage martin Committee, haha) than to arturo unless of course i need to fall asleep real fast.

[ This Message was edited by: Ruechel on 2004-01-02 17:53 ]
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is not too many of us here can do what he did on that CD,,I can't..
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cujazztrumpet,

of course, you're right. but if you want to make that argument then we should simply stop to make critical assessments of performers or musical pieces altogether. (maybe not such a bad idea since i am cutting into my practice time as we speak)

in my (not so) humble opinion, i think it is truly justified to tell others how you feel about someone's work. the relationship vis a vis art is always one that goes both ways. why else would one perform? not to say that artists should give a &*%$ about what me or you think but a strong subjective opinion (what else would there be-i know it's redundant to say that) often speaks about your own passion and conviction about what is "good" and "bad" art.

it can't always be: "oh he's the greatest and my inspiration" in fact, there can be no "good" music without "bad" music by definition. i think arturo has proven that point time and time again

chris botti, here i come!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: