• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Educate me on "anchor tonguing."

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkb77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Ray Mase do this?
Tal Katz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ray Mase does say anchor tonguing helped his playing tremendously.
I think he learned it from his teacher Armando Ghitalla. I think most great trumpet players tongue sort of the same way technically. Some call it anchor tonguing, some call it K-modified tonguing so it seems, some like to think about TS when tonguing, some don't call it anything, and some can't even explain what it is they are doing even though they sound great and anchor tongue. Great players also use a variety of articulations to play and shape a phrase with different colors. Great singers do it all the time, in any musical genre.

Either way, being rigid or restricted with your breathing, your tongue (especially the back part), your throat, your body is usually the way to missed/cracked notes, choking on notes, a restricted sound, lack of control which leads to insecurity.

I think practicing scales for example while paying a lot of attention that you're sustaining your sound (air flow) as long as possible while not letting the tongue stop your sound but actually use it to connect one note to the next with as little to no break between the notes will get your tongue working much better. Practicing it slowly (very) will definitely tell you a lot about what you're doing because once you're going to play those scales faster and faster you will have to try and achieve the exact same thing. It's like playing legato (slurred) but with your tongue instead of just blowing air through. Many players, when approaching an exercise like this, especially beginners have a tendency to tongue everything too short while trying to play too fast making it impossible for them to hear what's happening between the notes which leads to many difficulties playing the trumpet.

Of course there are times when we are called to play staccato (and even then many players play way too short) or even staccatissimo and secco but I definitely think that shouldn't be a starting point to build your fundamentals upon. Practicing playing shorter and even as short as possible is something one should definitely experiment with but I think developing full control over playing in a very sustained manner will get your sound and tongue in the right place. BTW, it works the same for multiple tonguing.

We have to keep reminding ourselves that the tongue doesn't produce any sound on the trumpet. Actually, it can stop our sound from being produced at all, or can make us choke on those high notes...

I like to think about the tongue as something that connects notes to each other rather than separate them from one another.
take2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Bond wrote:
Articulate exactly like you speak.
Chances are, you create the T or D in speech or song on the roof of your mouth just behind your front teeth, using a part of your tongue somewhat behind the tip.
Where then, is the tip? "Anchored" - or rubbing, or "floating" - behind the bottom teeth. That is all there is to it.

Advantages for most include players (dramatically) improved sound, clarity of articulation, endurance, range and flexibility owing to the resulting interior mouth shape tongue arched in the front of the mouth).
This approach has worked brilliantly or me and many students (commercial and "legit") over the years.

Peter, I think what you said here may have changed my life. Anchored tonguing isn't new to me nor is tonguing behind the top teeth. What is new is the concept of "articulating (tonguing) exactly like you speak.

I tried it this morning warming up and playing some easy material and the sound was better. My embochure felt a bit more relaxed (I think I've been a little too tense trying to keep my chin flat and firm, but that's another story) and the whole formulation of it felt just a little different. It was a different workout and my chops feel like they had a workout. I played easy material with the same approach in the afternoon. Again it felt better, sounded better, and definitely different in a good way.

Thanks for sharing.
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take2 wrote:
Peter Bond wrote:
Chances are, you create the T or D in speech or song on the roof of your mouth just behind your front teeth, using a part of your tongue somewhat behind the tip.
Where then, is the tip? "Anchored" - or rubbing, or "floating" - behind the bottom teeth. That is all there is to it.

Advantages for most include players (dramatically) improved sound, clarity of articulation, endurance, range and flexibility owing to the resulting interior mouth shape tongue arched in the front of the mouth).
This approach has worked brilliantly or me and many students (commercial and "legit") over the years.

Peter, I think what you said here may have changed my life. Anchored tonguing isn't new to me nor is tonguing behind the top teeth. What is new is the concept of "articulating (tonguing) exactly like you speak.

I tried it this morning warming up and playing some easy material and the sound was better. My embochure felt a bit more relaxed (I think I've been a little too tense trying to keep my chin flat and firm, but that's another story) and the whole formulation of it felt just a little different. It was a different workout and my chops feel like they had a workout. I played easy material with the same approach in the afternoon. Again it felt better, sounded better, and definitely different in a good way.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. Your post made my day.
It's the reason I post to this board.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

excellent. And once again, if we use speech as our reference, our tongue is never anchored, or rigid when we speak. It moves and remains flexible, forming and shaping the pronunciation and pitch of our speech.
mikatpt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Bond wrote:
take2 wrote:
Peter Bond wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. Your post made my day.
It's the reason I post to this board.

Just for the sake of clarity, I'd like to say that this isn't the way that I speak, and maybe not how everyone speaks - I do use anchor/dorsal/etc tonguing, though. Perhaps because of my dental structure or the size of my tongue, I use the tip of the tongue to talk - and I know most people will probably derive a lot of benefit from thinking about articulation the same way as speech, but it made for some deal of confusion for me early on.

Interestingly enough though, when I speak French my tongue goes down to the playing position - make of that what you will.

Michael
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do not do anything resembling anchor tonguing when I speak. The tip of my tongue articulates T and D sounds just like when I play the trumpet.

Maybe if I was a French speaker...

Say "chocolate donut"...are you anchoring? I'm not.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where or who first started using the language, "anchor tonguing"?
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
I also do not do anything resembling anchor tonguing when I speak. The tip of my tongue articulates T and D sounds just like when I play the trumpet.

For me it's not the tip, its slightly behind the tip that strikes the roof.

'Ch' = Tip (At #4 on the diagram below)
'Co' = Middle/Back (At #7)
'La' = The tip is touching the bottom of the top teeth (#3), and the rest of front of the tongue is contacting the back of the top teeth, all the way to where the gum ridge starts to rise to the palate. (#3-#5)
'te' = The The tip is touching the bottom of the top teeth (#3), and tongue sort of forms a bridge (or a triangle with) between #3 and #5, so there are really two release points I suppose? But they both move away at the same time. I can feel the plosive happening at #5, not #3 though. The tongue releases forward and down.

'Do' = Same as 'te', but the tongue release back and down to accommodate the 'ough' which follows the consonant.
'n' = Same as 'la' above
't' = Same as 'te' above.

Does that help?

Diagram:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Places_of_articulation.svg

Oh, and I just noticed on the digram that there are numbers on the tongue. It would be #16 that is the point of release for the articulation. And when playing, always strikes between #3 & #4
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being mixed up thinking about what my tongue was doing, what it wasn't doing etc . . .

Then one day I read on this forum that you can approach your tongue by paying attention to how it acts when you speak.

Problem solved.

Edit: It was Peter Bond who said it. I see that he's given the same advice in this thread. Everyone should pay attention to what he's saying.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have pointed out, "Anchor Tonguing" is a bad name for what some call "Dorsal Tonguing" and what Claude called K-Tongue Modified Tonguing. The tongue should never be anchored or held rigid when playing.

Claude called it "K-Tongue Modified" (KTM) tonguing because where as with the normal (bad) way most beginner and intermediate players tongue, the tip of the tongue performs the articulation, and with K-Tonguing, it is the back area of the tongue that performs the articulation, and Claude felt that since it is the area between the tip and the back of the tongue that performs the articulation when tonguing the way Herbert Clarke taught him to tongue, it made sense to call it K-Tongue Modified. Note that in KTM tonguing (aka Dorsal tonguing) it is not really the middle of the tongue performing the articulation, but the area just behind the tip of the tongue.

Tonguing in this way keeps the tip down and out of the way of the airstream. That's why articulations, especially in the upper register, are much more sure and accurate with KTM tonguing once it's developed.

I have written an explained the way to tongue as Claude Gordon taught me in many posts on the Trumpet Herald. For more information about KTM, you can refer to the posts I've made here in the past by running a Search with me as the Author and the words: K-Tongue AND Modified

Also, Jeff Purtle has a good explanation on his webpage at https://www.purtle.com/jeff-brass-frequently-asked-questions:

Quote:
Why is it important to single tongue K Tongue Modified?

This is not an optional item. Without tonguing this way you will never experience accuracy, tonguing speed and ease of playing especially in the upper register. Incorrect tonguing disrupts the tongue’s arch in the front of the mouth working against Tongue Level. Everyone uses Tongue Level when they play. Most people are never taught about correct single tonguing. The very tip of the tongue always remains in contact with the top of the bottom teeth and you produce the “T” just slightly back from the tip of the tongue. This is in the front middle of the tongue, hence Claude Gordon coined the term “K Tongue Modified” because like K tonguing it is in the middle of the tongue, but modified to be more forward toward the tip. Here are some people I have spoken with that I know tongue this way: Arturo Sandoval, Doc Severinsen, Frank Kaderabek, Wayne Bergeron, Bob O’Donnel, and Claude Gordon and his students. Claude Gordon learned this from Herbert L. Clarke, who taught it to all his students. Also, Armando Ghitalla tongued this way and taught his students this.

If you want to be sure you are learning it properly, one lesson on Skype with me would guarantee that. Send me an e-mail if you are interested.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:

When I speak, like you I pronounce words such as "tea" or "Tom" with my tongue tip. This causes my tongue to be farther back in my mouth, than if I were to pronounce the t sound when speaking in the way I tongue when playing (I use KTM exclusively when playing). When speaking, using the tip of my tongue makes for a crisper sounding t than if I were to employ KTM (aka Dorsal) tonguing.

But speaking and playing a trumpet are two entirely different things. When I play, the airstream is more critical, stronger and faster than when speaking. Also, when speaking, the point of vibration (the vocal chords) are [i[before[/i] the point of articulation. When playing, the vibration (the lip) is after the point of articulation. And, perhaps of even more importance, by keeping the tip down near the top-back area of the bottom front teeth, it is kept out of the way of the airstream during articulations, and the entire tongue is kept a bit more forward, helping to eliminate the possibility of incorrect tongue arch near the back of the mouth which would be akin to pinching a hose off several inches before the nozzle and severely reducing flow.

Regarding keeping the tongue tip out of the airstream: To demonstrate how the typical way of tonguing is awkward in terms of the airstream, play a flexibility exercise and note how as you slur up and down, the tip of your tongue always stays down low and out of the airstream. Now tongue those same notes. If you are tonguing with your tip rising up to the area of your top teeth or just behind them, then each articulation requires your tongue to "get out of the way" of the airstream, going all the way back down to the area behind your bottom teeth. When KTM tonguing is employed, the tip never rises and therefore never gets in the way of the airstream. This makes high note MUCH easier to tongue and play cleanly and accurately (once the ability to use KTM has been developed). Also, with KTM there is very little physical tongue movement when tonguing compared to when employing the tip of the tongue for articulations. The front-middle portion just nudges forward a little for each articulation when using KTM.

I spent the first 10 years of playing trumpet tonguing notes with the tip of my tongue. Than Claude taught me about KTM and how to develop it. Within a few weeks of learning about the KTM method of tonguing and finding what it did for my playing, I'd never go back to the old way of tonguing. I can still tongue with my tip and occasionally do to demonstrate to students how rough it sounds up high compared to KTM. It feels so awkward in comparison to KTM tonguing.

Lastly, once KTM is learned and developed, it translates right into multiple tonguing. My current performance register goes to a solid G above High C - and I can double and triple tongue right up to my current limit due to the advantages of KTM tonguing.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Gordontrek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see continued interest here. I've been to a couple of people for help on regaining my usual way of tonguing and they've said I need to focus on doing just that, so that's my primary focus right now. As for anchor tonguing I'm still gathering some information about it but not spending a whole lot of time doing it. Right now it's just another option I'm keeping open if it turns out that my usual Ta-tongue can't be recovered due to a physical cause or otherwise (there is a lot of stretching of the cheeks and corners going on when I do it that I can't seem to control). I told my private teacher about it yesterday and tried playing some anchor-tongue for him and he said it's a good option to keep open, but for now I have my eyes set on recovering my normal way of tonguing.
Thanks everyone for your input so far, it's been very thorough and informative.

Bach 18043
Eastman ETR-830S
Bach 1
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:

Edit: It was Peter Bond who said it. I see that he's given the same advice in this thread. Everyone should pay attention to what he's saying.

It was Peter Bond who said what?
Are you answering the question...who started using the "anchor tonguing" phrase first?
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:

It was Peter Bond who said what?
Are you answering the question...who started using the "anchor tonguing" phrase first?

Re-read my post.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tal Katz wrote:
I like to think about the tongue as something that connects notes to each other rather than separate them from one another.

Thanks for this.
cheeky chops

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has lots of great advice on here
THANKS !
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of playing the trumpet like we speak is one that has been around for a long time and I often tried to follow. Only recently has it been pointed out to me (Special Studies for Trumpet by John Daniel) that when we speak we do not have an embouchure formed past which we are blowing great quantities of air. It does affect how the tongue works.

Don't get locked into one approach unless you are certain it is the best FOR YOU. By all means try several approaches to see which does work best for you.
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
?.....Only recently has it been pointed out to me (Special Studies for Trumpet by John Daniel) that when we speak we do not have an embouchure formed past which we are blowing great quantities of air......

And there's the problem. You don't NEED blow great quantities of air. Unless your embouchure is dysfunctional.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.

I do want to clarify that the "great quantities of air" was my wording and not from Mr. Daniel's book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: