• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Perez Prado and His trumpet sections WoW

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that back in the day Perez Prado had some of the top lead players of the world. All of his trumpet sections were awsome. I mean I listen to songs like "Cherry Pink and apple blossom white" " Besame Mucho" "cucurrucuc paloma" "Maria Bonita" "The Peanut Vendor" "La Virgen De La Macarena" It's so amazing. And if you listen at these recordings on the background when the brass section comes in you will usually here one trumpeter playing over everyone else with his incredible upper register. It's amazing. For example "The peanute vendor" when the brass comes in you here two guys in particular one guy is taking it up on 8va and then another guys plays over him it's just incredible. I was at the trumpetstuff.com web page and heard this sound clip and I was so shocked by what I heard. It was the greatest trumpet solo that I have ever heard (ok maybe I'm going over the line) But it is awsome check this out :

http://trumpetstuff.com/images/Other/BumbleBee.ram

It is a recording of a Latin version of Flight of the bumblebee and the trumpet soloist goes up so high that you'll be like WoW. This guy plays so high and fast that it will make you Have a heart attact. And the brass section is just so cool that it will make you cry because it is so beutiful.

Can anyone give me the name of some of his lead players and some history background on the perez prado orchestra.

http://trumpeter.cjb.net
Trumpet Resource Site

[ This Message was edited by: trjeam on 2002-04-02 20:50 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,

First, let me say that I am a Perez Prado fan and do several of his original arrangements in my own big band.

So.........Yes, this arrangement (The Bumblebee) is a smoker! The highest note in the chart is a C4 (double C), obviously two soloists. The lower player is definitely challenged by the technique, but the higher player is not up to the task. He has the range, almost (the section where he tries to play the melody starting on C4 is just sort of happening), but the actual notes of the part are more like an erasure smudge, some definition but a lot of slidin'. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think the impact of the playing is one of great excitement and energy and very listenable. So I don't think I'm missing the forest for the trees.

Perez Prado always had a driving rhythm section, one to die for! But I don't think he attracted the heavy hitters on lead like Bud Brisbois, Cat Anderson, etc. to his bands. I wonder how Arturo would have sounded on this chart.

In the 50s (is this the app. date of the recording?) there probably wasn't any punching in or over dubbing, so these guys are blowing through this chart, start to finish. I'm going to guess that Prez didn't do a whole lot of takes ($$), so I guess you could think of it as a live recording.

Cheers,

CR

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-04-02 21:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-04-03 09:13 ]
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats a thought, Arturo blowing that chart...

ChopsMcgraw
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the "bumble bee" recording, and the liner notes state that the soloist is Ollie Mitchell all the way. I´ll have to look up the other players when I get home.

Martin
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

If only one soloist, then I guess the lead part must be a different player or over dubbed. I'd be interested in other musician credits on the album and a date the recording was made?

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-04-03 09:21 ]
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George...A HUGE BIGGIEEE' THANKS!!!
What a style and profile, "Flight of the Screeech Ant!!!" I LV IT!!)) TOOOOCOOL!!!

I would really love to hear a clip of that old piece..."My Cherry's Red and my bottom is Apple-white...uh??? Not quite???? When I was in high school...I played that piece over and over and over again...I was hynotized by that slurr. My family and neighbors were always yelling at me to play something difffernt. It took a while but finally I had that glizzzie-deech' down to a science on my old Conn Connie."
Any idea where I can find a clip of that great old showboatin' piece????
Again....what a great Fof the strato BB~~~)
Thanks...George, keep the clips-a-commin'
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Prez's stuff is on audiogalaxy, right there for the takin'.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I get all the perez prado stuff can be downloaded from audiogalaxy.com

Oh and to anyone that ever wondered why young trumpet players want to play in the upper register is so much is because of songs like those.

when I first heard that clip it made wana pick up my horn and bust out a double C. But then a reality check came when i realize that I couldn't do that. Those are the type of songs that make wana play trumpet cause its fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trjeam-
Keep that attitude man, it is all about enjoying yourself! If you're not having fun do something else...

ChopsMcgraw
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugleboy,

the "Flight of the Bumblebee" is on the album "Prez" from 1958. The trumpet section is: Ollie Mitchell, Louis Valizan, Bob McKinzie, Tony Facciuto and Homer Salinas.

Martin
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

Thanks for the info. Ollie Mitchell is the only one I am familiar with.

CR
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mr. bugleboy. I have heard you play and you are awsome I can just imagine how you sound playing those high notes over the big band.

Anyways I believe you said this
"First, let me say that I am a Perez Prado fan and do several of his original arrangements in my own big band. "

This may seem like a dumb question but do you do those "uhhhhh" noises that Perez Prado does to cue in his band (or at least i think that's why he does it). hehe.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, trjeam, I do those "noises" . Sometime check out the pitch at which those noises are being executed. One of my fav moments is when the band completely stops for three beats on Mambo Jambo and the vocal noise lands on beat four. Truly a magical moment in the chart!

I heard that the guy doing it in Prez's band was hired specifically for those grunts. Some kind of gig!
Bill Hicks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Valizan played lead with Prado for several years then went on to become one of the top lead players in Las Vegas in the 60's. He sounded similar to Maynard playing lead.
American Music Theatre 1997-2008
Big Band Nostalgia 1990-2010
www.billhickstrumpet.com
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
highnote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that there are at least 4 PRado albums with MF in the section, and also quite a few with Doc too.

From what I remember: Voodoo Suite, Mambo Mania, Havana 3am, and one more....

Kevin
http://www.seeleymusic.com
Bill Hicks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-10 14:41, highnote wrote:
Don't forget that there are at least 4 PRado albums with MF in the section, and also quite a few with Doc too.

Kevin

Some people credit Maynard for being on Latin Satin and I've heard others say no it's Louis Valizan. I'm still looking for the album to hear for myself.
American Music Theatre 1997-2008
Big Band Nostalgia 1990-2010
www.billhickstrumpet.com
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread, but for those listening, Maynard played on a couple of Prez LP in the 50's, most noticebly on "VooDoo Suite." It's available on CD and worth a listen. Not relaxing background music, but definitely interesting. BTW, the liner notes give you the names of all the trumpets that played with him on all his recorded sessions.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-10 14:41, highnote wrote:

Kevin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice link: to your website.
Knowing that you are a Seattle bud...
Any way we can get the ball rolling for an article in tribute to LES BEIGEL...that long living trumpet player that was with Ray Anthony in Glenn Millers Orchestra???
Just a thought!
Don
JohnBennett

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Perez Prado's trumpet sections...

One of his all time great lead players was Luis Valizan. I saw him with Prado in the mid 1950's...Luis was about 21 years old and absolutely smokin' every chart. He was playing lead, plus all the super high stuff plus the jazz too. He was a great all around trumpet player but high lead charts were his forte. Do yourself a favor and listen to Prado's "Havana 3 a.m." album...it has fantastic trumpet work on it...Luis was the lead player. I used to wait to hear Prado yell "Dilo"...(Spanish for Say it)...and Luis would take it up an octave and then another octave...superman!

He later moved to Las Vegas and established himself as one of the first call guys there in a town that was full to the brim with super players. He still lives there. After moving there, Luis worked with Esquivel for many years at the Stardust Hotel and many charts featured the fine playing of Luis.

Louis played lead on the recording "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" and the first note starts on double C...he nailed it. The solo trumpet part was played by Billy Regis.

Prado's recordings often had some studio heavy hitters...like Walt Stuart, Maynard, Ollie Mitchell to beef up the section...but Luis was the man!

John

P.S. I have a few corrections for the above...(I made my first mistake...AGAIN!) I've just gotten an updated discography for Prado's recordings and and the personnel wasn't exactly who I thought it was on a couple of the records.

On "Voodoo Suite" (recorded April 8, 1954 in Hollywood) the trumpets are: Billy Regis, Maynard Ferguson, Pete Candoli, Walt Stuart, Don Dennis and Shorty Rogers. Regis was the only regular Prado trumpet player...the others were studio players. Maynard, Walt and Pete are high note lead players and any of those could be playing lead.

On "Cherry Pink" (recorded August 23, 1954 in NYC) the trumpets are: Billy Regis (solo), Doc Severinsen, Clyde Reasinger, Jack Holland and Leo Ball.

On "Havana 3 A.M." (recorded February 23, 1956 in Hollywood) the trumpets are: Maynard, Ray Triscari, Don Dennis, Tony Facciuto, Bob MacKenzi and Jack Holland.

[ This Message was edited by: JohnBennett on 2003-07-30 15:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: JohnBennett on 2003-10-11 12:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: JohnBennett on 2003-10-28 17:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: JohnBennett on 2004-07-08 11:36 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: