• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

lynn nicholson

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclewawa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: lynn nicholson Reply with quote

Has anybody actually increased their range a 5th to an octave using the Lynn Nicholson video lesson?
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: lynn nicholson Reply with quote

unclewawa wrote:
Has anybody actually increased their range a 5th to an octave using the Lynn Nicholson video lesson?

He's only had those out for what? A month? Might be a bit early to start asking for long term reviews. A better (if less accusatory) question might be: Has anyone tried these yet, and if so, what do you think?

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the one week deal on the video. I watched it several times and tried it out but I play with sort of a modified Superchops embouchure ( my chin isn't really peach pit bunched but I feel it in my chin and my corners are not tensed at all). Switching to the protocol Lynn describes for the range extension was/is not easy for me. I am happy with my sound and, like most trumpet players I would like more range but right now I am not willing to make the Nicholson protocol work for me since it is way to much of a departure from the way I play. Maybe in the summer when I have time ( I teach math) I'll give it a spin. This is NOT a criticism of the protocol ( I like the way Mr. Nicholson uses that term BTW) just that right now its not for me.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the one week rental. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting, but it was at the very least interesting to see how he does what he does.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the vid, had a back and forth with Lynn on FB and if you're into the idea of playing like this, you have to do what he says. Without giving much away here, but it's a special way of playing within a specialty unto itself, high note development, AND for a sound that's fairly specific. Some things are very intuitive, others counter. I, for one, am enjoying a pop in my range from his exercises.

ed
lynn9544

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments. Yes, the the protocol appears radical when compared to conventional wisdom, but it makes perfect sense once employed. I will add my response from another thread, too, in case you didn't see it.

"The most extreme example [of spontaneous protocol implementation] was a player who participated in a group lesson a few years ago, when I still taught privately. There were 4-5 players in the group, all of whom had lots of questions. This player, who had a range of about high E-F, sat quietly and just listened. I figured he wasn't getting it. After the initial presentation, I sent the players to different rooms about the house to try out the concepts on their own. In a few minutes I heard someone in one of the other rooms arpeggiating very accurately and cleanly all over the horn. As I listened, he worked his way up and made it up to triple C. I asked the player who stayed with me (who was BTW a bit shocked) if this was normal for this very quiet trumpet player. He said absolutely not, so to verify, I went and asked the quiet player directly. He could barely contain his enthusiasm, and said this was the happiest day of his life. Soooo, that's about a 5th, plus another octave. He listened to the concepts, and spontaneously let go of the conventional wisdom that wasn't working for him, and proceeded to apply the radical approach that Maynard and I employ. This player was upstream, so he sounded more like Brisbois than Maynard, but the protocol is the same. There are several other examples of this spontaneous protocol implementation, most with a range increase of a 5th or more, but equally important, a full/uniform sound, unlike most of the mosquito players I hear today. At the very least, most players end up with a greatly improved sound. I myself spontaneously implemented the protocol (weak high F to roaring double C in 10 minutes), a few years before I met Maynard. When I finally saw/heard him play, I received massive confirmation of the protocol's efficacy. Sadly, most players have difficulty "wiping their slate clean" as Maynard would say. Your mileage may vary, but your success will be directly proportional to how easily you can let go of your current way of playing upstairs and fully embrace something new that actually works. Lots of snake oil out there. This is the real deal....."

Hope you're all well.....

Lynn
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynn9544 wrote:
Thank you for your comments. Yes, the the protocol appears radical when compared to conventional wisdom, but it makes perfect sense once employed. I will add my response from another thread, too, in case you didn't see it.

"The most extreme example [of spontaneous protocol implementation] was a player who participated in a group lesson a few years ago, when I still taught privately. There were 4-5 players in the group, all of whom had lots of questions. This player, who had a range of about high E-F, sat quietly and just listened. I figured he wasn't getting it. After the initial presentation, I sent the players to different rooms about the house to try out the concepts on their own. In a few minutes I heard someone in one of the other rooms arpeggiating very accurately and cleanly all over the horn. As I listened, he worked his way up and made it up to triple C. I asked the player who stayed with me (who was BTW a bit shocked) if this was normal for this very quiet trumpet player. He said absolutely not, so to verify, I went and asked the quiet player directly. He could barely contain his enthusiasm, and said this was the happiest day of his life. Soooo, that's about a 5th, plus another octave. He listened to the concepts, and spontaneously let go of the conventional wisdom that wasn't working for him, and proceeded to apply the radical approach that Maynard and I employ. This player was upstream, so he sounded more like Brisbois than Maynard, but the protocol is the same. There are several other examples of this spontaneous protocol implementation, most with a range increase of a 5th or more, but equally important, a full/uniform sound, unlike most of the mosquito players I hear today. At the very least, most players end up with a greatly improved sound. I myself spontaneously implemented the protocol (weak high F to roaring double C in 10 minutes), a few years before I met Maynard. When I finally saw/heard him play, I received massive confirmation of the protocol's efficacy. Sadly, most players have difficulty "wiping their slate clean" as Maynard would say. Your mileage may vary, but your success will be directly proportional to how easily you can let go of your current way of playing upstairs and fully embrace something new that actually works. Lots of snake oil out there. This is the real deal....."

Hope you're all well.....

Lynn

Thanks Lynn.
1948 Holton Model 48
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Lynn Reply with quote

Without prying to much, how radical is it. I mean more equipment, or should I say certain equipment and mouthpiece. Total emb. Change ? Or is it just another way to practice to get to the top? I want to try it but not sure how you know if your cut out for it. If I just had to play trumpet , that would be one thing but what about the general population non Lynn, Maynard , trumpet players?

Thanks
Mark
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this would work for a just average 66 yr old player.
assorted other horns
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to knowledge, it's all good - probably badly paraphrased from something Roger Ingram said.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
lynn9544

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david mickley wrote:
I wonder if this would work for a just average 66 yr old player.

Yes David, the protocol works for anyone wishing to extend their usable range, all with a full/uniform sound. No mosquitos allowed. If implemented as suggested in the video, your current way of playing is unaffected, although many players report a positive trickle down effect. The protocol becomes an adjunct to, not a replacement for your current way of playing..... All that is required is an open mind.....
lynn9544

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lynn Reply with quote

mark61 wrote:
Without prying to much, how radical is it. I mean more equipment, or should I say certain equipment and mouthpiece. Total emb. Change ? Or is it just another way to practice to get to the top? I want to try it but not sure how you know if your cut out for it. If I just had to play trumpet , that would be one thing but what about the general population non Lynn, Maynard , trumpet players?

Thanks
Mark

Mark, the MF Protocol requires a gradual shift in your embouchure, but only in the range you do not yet own. Everything remains the same in your normal range. For maximum implementation speed/efficiency, you'll need a separate rim. The radical MF Protocol is based on original insights discovered before and while working with THE master, Maynard Ferguson, as opposed to regurgitated conventional wisdom that is so commonplace in today's trumpet world. High Gs and As are ordinary/common. The MF Protocol is for any ordinary trumpet player who wants to become extraordinary.....
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: high range Reply with quote

Is this any mp rim or special order?
Maybe I should try the video if you think its doable for anyone.
Could definitely use the help ad the range.

Mark
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lynn Reply with quote

lynn9544 wrote:
For maximum implementation speed/efficiency, you'll need a separate rim.

Do you mean you need a mouthpiece with a particular shape or type of rim, or you mean you need a rim all by itself (just a ring, essentially) to do exercises on?
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a piece of equipment I had for years. Forget the name but its a rim with a 3 inch rod attached. I use it now as a "limpet". Just ignore the post
lynn9544

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lynn Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
lynn9544 wrote:

Do you mean you need a mouthpiece with a particular shape or type of rim, or you mean you need a rim all by itself (just a ring, essentially) to do exercises on?

A separate rim.....
lynn9544

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Freedman wrote:
I use a piece of equipment I had for years. Forget the name but its a rim with a 3 inch rod attached. I use it now as a "limpet". Just ignore the post

A visualizer is fine, just hold it by the rim, not the handle.....
wapari

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAAA, I just use a similar size washer. Same concept.
thehedge

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Lynn Reply with quote

lynn9544 wrote:

Lynn - could you provide a few more details or suggestions on the rim(s) to get? For some of us that might want to purchase the one week rental it would be good to already have the required rim on hand.

Mike Sailors wrote:
I bought the one week rental. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting, but it was at the very least interesting to see how he does what he does.

Mike - without giving away "the store", what were you expecting from protocol video and what did you find missing?

Thanks!
lynn9544

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lynn Reply with quote

thehedge wrote:
lynn9544 wrote:

Lynn - could you provide a few more details or suggestions on the rim(s) to get? For some of us that might want to purchase the one week rental it would be good to already have the required rim on hand.

Mike Sailors wrote:

Mike - without giving away "the store", what were you expecting from protocol video and what did you find missing?

Thanks!

Any rim will do, but it's best to use one that is similar to that of your primary piece. I've used everything from washers to wedding bands, but a rim is more comfortable..... Reeves has rims, and others do to. There is another discussion about same on TH.

Pursuant to your question for Mike, "Got High Notes?" is conceptual, so you can use the elements of the adaptive algorithm whenever you run out of range. The video is not a "how to" method of conventional routines/thinking, but instead, original insights/observations of Maynard when he was in his prime. All concepts are clearly demonstrated. I also discuss some of the absurd myths that seem to proliferate, thus limiting players' physical capabilities. The video has little to do with music, except to clearly show that a full/uniform sound in all registers is not only possible, but adds to musicality. No mosquitos allowed....

The video is an adjunct to, rather than a replacement for, your normal way of playing, but requires an open mind and the desire/ability to spend time outside your comfort zone. I've spent most of my life out there. It's not only a beautiful place, but liberating....

Hope that helps....

Peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: