• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

trumpet choir/ octet rep!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylesherman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: trumpet choir/ octet rep!! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking into rep for my high school's (Marcus high in flower mound texas) "studio showcase" at the end of May. Looks like I have around 10-15 minutes for one or several trumpet choir and/or small trumpet ensemble music. Here's the situation:

I've got 8 kids in the top ensemble, very strong high school players. 2 texas all staters and another 3 who made area but not state. They'll practice the music, we'll work on it individually in lessons and I'll be hired to coach them as well. They can play auxiliary instruments and the school has two each piccs and flugels. don't need to use them but they're there and the kids can play them, might be fun.

Thinking maybe an octet and 2 quartets sound like the way to go. What pieces do you guys and gals recommend? Maybe a gabrielli for the octet, or not. Quartets, I have no clue. Would love to hear from everyone on what would be enjoyable! This is a great class with only two graduating seniors, they are needing a challenge right around now and I need something hard enough to give the seniors something to work on in lessons. Thanks all!!
x3matt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend taking a look at eighth note publishing. enpmusic.com

They have a wide variety of stuff and many different levels
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a really nice collection from Balquihidder: (25 Bach Chorales arranged by Alan Wenger) for trumpet quartet that I have used with my three boys. Excellent arrangements that would work well in performance or simply for getting the players to start listening to each other. If you are building a library, these must be included! The 50 Symphonic Trumpet Quartets by Mancini are very challenging, but with a group of fine players, you could really have fun working up one of these impressive arrangements. He was Principal Trumpet with the Detroit Symphony in the 1930s and pulled all of the best melodies from the orchestral rep to include in this collection. You should also check out Jay

And there are lots of excellent arrangements by Jay Lichtmann for various size trumpet ensembles that are available for free download. Some of these include parts for piccolo and Eb trumpet. The Rondo by Purcell “Tune from Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra” would be really nice for your concert.

Hope these suggestions help.
Super Chops

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://goo.gl/LleA8

A buddy of mine back east sent me this site.
orchestraltrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping an old thread (sorry), but I wrote a piece for 5 trumpets. The parts could be doubled as needed.

Feel free to try it and let me know if you have any feedback:

http://scottmillercomposer.com/scores/synoptix/

I was going for an Ewazen style.

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: