• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Julliard opinions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Julliard opinions Reply with quote

What are everyone's thought on Julliard?
Pocket Monkeys
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's spelled Juilliard.
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, your right. But I was asking for opinions on Juilliard (got it this time!!!) not for people to correct my spelling.
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think much of it as an engineering school.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather that it works for some people but not for others.

Tommy T
maxfinis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny, I think you'll receive much better responses if you were more specific with your question. What exactly are you wanting to know? Juilliard is one of the most famous arts schools in the world, and there isn't much left unsaid. I see you're in high school, living in New York. What are your career goals? What other schools are you comparing it with? What is your current skill level? What does your teacher think about Juiiliard for you? This kind of information will help guide the responses, and maybe cut down on their sarcasm.
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd like to go to school there. I've heard it's the best school for classical performance, but for other things (like jazz), not so much. I am currently thunking of trying to make it into a world class orchestra. I just find performing in orchestras so fun and it provides a more soloistic role than concert bands (kind of). I have also looked at Curtis and the Manhattan school of music as well. Is there any truth to the things I have heard about Juilliard? I know I defiantly want to go into musical performance. I am determined to do so. For my skill level, you could check out my YouTube channel: Danny45635 let me know what you think. Keep in mind many of my videos are just fooling around (I have no legit performances on it currently slot bough I could post some if needed).
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny,
I checked out your YouTube clips, I thought you sounded just fine.
I enjoyed your rendition of the Bach, you have a very pleasing tone.
I also thought you sounded good on the Arban.
You have a great deal of potential.
As far as Juilliard is concerned, I really couldn't help you much with that.
But as maxfinis suggested I think you should consult with your band director or your private lesson teacher.
Maybe there are some current or former Juilliard students here on Trumpet Herald
that might be able to provide you with some more information about what it is like to be a student at Juilliard.
Good luck to you, I am sure that if you are determined to be a successful trumpet player either in an orchestra or possibly another route, you will be a success.
But Danny, whatever College or University you finally decide on attending, please don't go defiantly... GO DEFINITELY !!!
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get in, go.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my teacher's good friends went to Juilliard, so I guess I will talk to him when I see him at a rehearsal I have next Saturday.
maxfinis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to your teacher. You'll get no better advice on here. Your questions are too important. If you're influenced or distracted by anything you read on here, then the best teacher at the best school in the world won't help you reach your goals. One of the toughest lessons I learned is that there are a hundred ways to get from A to B, that I don't have the time or the skills to try each one, and that my teacher already knows one way to get there. (I'm assuming you have the best teacher available to you right now. If you don't, then thinking about Juilliard is secondary.)

I must say, I admire your passion and high goals. What rumors about Juilliard are you referring to?
Adam West
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They turned away Chris Martin, so they obviously suck.
Pocket Monkeys
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just busting chops Danny, no harm intended Bottom line, you'll get out what you put in - there are a lot of great schools and great teachers. Find a school and a teacher that fits you well and you will achieve. That is the single most important thing anyone here can tell you. I know two trumpet players that were accepted to Juilliard and did not attend. They are among the most in demand freelancers I know right now. I know a trumpet player that graduated from Curtis and now drives an ambulance in New Brunswick. I also know a firefighter that graduated from Eastman with a degree in trumpet performance. A degree and/or certificate is a piece of paper with your name and the school's name on it, it has nothing to do with whether you can play of not...that part is up to you. I have music ed degree and a certificate in performance. My music ed degree has been asked for many times; my performance cert, not once. Go practice.
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who once wanted to be a famous trumpet player, for your undergrad, there are many things to consider but two are VERY important. 1.) Find a good teacher (duh). Some of the best teachers I've found teacher at schools with little to no prestige. Lou Hanzlik is a fantastic example. He is an absolutely phenomenal teacher and he teaches at UCONN. Many of the best teachers will teach at multiple schools as well which is something to consider. 2.) Cost. Yes this is important. If money goes on trees in your backyard than anything is fine, but for those that will need to get loans, it's very important. Find the best teacher at an inexpensive school, or hope that you get a large scholarship to an expensive one. I had a good scholarship and still ended up with 6 figures of loans to pay off over then next 20 years.

If you want to be a pro, you'll likely want to pursue a Master's degree or further. Your best bet (IMO) is to go to a cheap school for undergrad, work your butt off and go for broke with grad school. You'll likely get a better scholarship or assistantship opportunities as a grad student too. While you're there take as many auditions as you can there to get experience.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard any Juilliard grad say that their education was a problem. I think some first hand discussion is a good next step. Contact any of the long list of Juilliard grads and talk to them directly about their experience. Then, maybe talk to a couple of the instructors there. Better yet, if you can, try to schedule a private lesson with one of the instructors and see what you can learn.
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good friend of mine auditioned there and at Manhattan for his master's. Manhattan gave him a free ride, but when he called Julliard to see if they could up his scholarship (I think he said they gave him half his tuition) they told him that they had given him the maximum amount they normally give. Money is definitely something to keep in mind, especially in these times.
maxfinis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekthor wrote:
A good friend of mine auditioned there and at Manhattan for his master's. Manhattan gave him a free ride, but when he called Julliard to see if they could up his scholarship (I think he said they gave him half his tuition) they told him that they had given him the maximum amount they normally give. Money is definitely something to keep in mind, especially in these times.

Very true. Curtis is free, but much smaller and more selective. Bilger is fantastic. He also teaches at Temple. Juilliard is expensive, but lots of scholarships (financial and merit) are available, and there are also some competition-based post-matriculation scholarships available. Despite what you may hear otherwise, a Juilliard or Curtis degree gets noticed, and opens many doors that may not be accessible otherwise. If I were a student today I'd be seriously tempted to go to Georgia and study with Phil Smith. Forget the savings, just the chance to study with one of the greatest orchestral trumpeters would be enough. Northwestern is another brass powerhouse.
trombino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice...shop for a teacher, not a school. Your college trumpet teacher(s) will be among the most important relationships of your life. I was accepted into Juilliard and Manhattan School of Music. The brass faculty at the time was essentially the same. I opted for MSM because I believed I would have more playing opportunities there than at Juilliard. Turned out to have been a good decision for me.

If you want an orchestra job, and who doesn't, study with people whose students have gotten orchestra jobs. Obvious names that come to mind are Butler and Geyer at Rice, James Wilt in LA, David Hickman at Arizona, and a host of others.

In an orchestral audition no one on any committee will care where you went to school or if you even went to school.

Good luck in your pursuit.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros of Juilliard:
Fine players on all instruments
Fine ensembles
Great location
I don't know who teaches there now, so I can't comment on that

Cons of Juilliard
Poor classes
All of my classes in State/City institutions were far and above the classes
at Juilliard.
Very stuffy atmosphere. Not a place that you want to hang out in.
No college atmosphere. It's not a college.
Expensive

So if you have no interest in music theory, or ear training, and just want to play, maybe Juilliard would be a good place to go. You will be in the company of fine musicians. You would be better off taking a walk or practicing instead of putting up with the very low level of classes that they offer. You might get on with the trumpet teacher. Although frankly, if you could find places to play in NYC and a good teacher, you will probably learn just as much if not more doing that than going to the Yard.
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By poor classes, what exactly do you mean? I am very tempted to go to Curtis because of David Bilger. I know I want to go to school just to play though, but I do enjoy music theory an awful lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: