• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip swelling and its effects on articulation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordontrek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Lip swelling and its effects on articulation. Reply with quote

If any of you have experience in dealing with players who have dealt with lip swelling problems or had them yourself, what was, if any, the effect on their/your articulation? Was the response or tone affected? Did muscles in the lips and face move a lot to attempt to compensate?
The reason I ask is that my lips have been swelling within a few minutes of playing ever since my articulation went down the drain and I'm wondering if it could be related somehow. The swelling is in the area where I put my mouthpiece on my lips (yes we have medically ruled out mouthpiece allergies, both by an allergist and the fact that the swelling also happens with a plastic mouthpiece).
My teacher tried something new on me last week: he gave me a trombone mouthpiece and had me tongue a few notes. I had no trouble whatsoever. All the notes were right on, crisp and clear as a bell. Then I transitioned back over to the trumpet and had my same problems. Could this mean that the swelling I get from my mouthpiece is affecting my articulation like I originally thought?
Once again as with any medical-related issue I am not asking to be diagnosed. Only asking about what swelling might do to one's articulation.

Bach 18043
Eastman ETR-830S
Bach 1
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swelling makes everything more difficult - tone, range, articulation, and definitely endurance. The more the lips swell, the more resistant they are to vibration. The standard diagnosis is that it's caused by too much mouthpiece pressure, but my chops will start to swell just doing free buzzing. Some of us are cursed. In my case going to a deep, open mouthpiece (CG Personal with #20 throat) helped to compensate.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, even slight swelling will have a significant effect on articulations.

I can articulate cleanly on very small mouthpieces, even as small as a 13A4A, for about a minute of playing. Then, as my lips swell just a bit to their normal level of playing size (after a minute or two of playing), I can no longer play small mouthpieces well (or in the case of one as small as a 13A4A, at all). Note that the amount of swelling I'm talking about is very low (but enough to keep me from being able to play said small, shallow mouthpiece for more than a matter of a minute or so at the top of the day).

It sounds like you just need to go to a bigger mouthpiece size. Although I have played most shows on a Reeves 43C for many years, toward the end of the run of Addams Family I was experiencing articulation issues in some of the middle register stuff in the show. Especially on matinee shows following double show days, it was an effort to play musically and not get air-balls here and there. Finally, I took the age old advice in Vincent Bach's Mouthpiece Manual to heart and went to a bigger mouthpiece (my copy of Arturo's MV3C).

Vincent Bach wrote:
A larger-sized mouthpiece will also offer greater comfort, making it possible to secure a good tone quality even when the lips are swollen from too much playing.

The articulation difficulties in the show disappeared (and were replaced by the problem of not enough "sizzle" on the top notes in the show). I solved that problem by getting Steve Dillard's (the Horntrader) HT3CS28 mouthpiece, which has the same Rim as Arturo's MV3C but a slightly shallower Cup and tighter Throat and Backbore. Having the nice (slightly larger) cup diameter of the MV3C combined with a cup that is (just) 17/1000" shallower, brightened up the top notes and still gave my lips room to vibrate.

I suggest you go to a bigger mouthpiece. A Bach 1X is a very good mouthpiece when it comes to easy articulations. It has a nice comfortably wide rim and in terms of inner cup diameter, it's really not much bigger than your 1.5C. It's Alpha Angle is steeper than that of the 1.5C (meaning the drop after the rim is less V-shaped than the 1.5C) and this helps with articulations. It is a lot deeper though (which will also help with the articulations). If you want to stay with the same approximate depth as your 1.5C, buy a 1X and a 1-1/4C and have them cut into a screw rim setup (with the 1X rim and the 1-1/4C as the underpart). I have such a setup and the 1-1/4C fits well to the 1X rim when having them cut with Bach style threads (they might not line up as well if Reeves type threading is used, as the Reeves screw rim setup is cut down a little deeper in the cup).

Note that when I played (for many years) a 1-1/2C for classical stuff, I always had minor issues with articulations (such as the Mahler 5 opening). Those troubles disappeared when I stepped up to the 1X rim with various underparts (1X, 1B and 1-1/4C) for classical work.

Also, practicing and playing a bit softer might keep your lips from swelling as much. Lastly, taking an aspirin a day can help with swelling issues.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Webcam Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
mavrian22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you don't want general diagnosis of your issues, but man lip swelling after five mins and loss of ability to articulate are major physical issues. I'm not a doctor, but when your lips swell basically everything is harder. Playing on a larger mpc can help articulation, but you already play on a 1 1/2c. It sounds to me like its time to take a couple of weeks off completely and then do a week or two rebuild of your playing afterwards. Really focusing on letting your chops taking their natural shape and really focusing on a steady airflow moving between them. Maybe after you come back in a couple of weeks at first you would just do the six notes of Caruso a few times a day for a few days. Its just some advice take it or leave it, but if after a two week break you're still having these physical issues then you'll really know if its something playing related or physically related (in which case you would seek medical treatment).
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, swelling can trigger a domino-effect of other problems, especially if your mpc is already a tight fit for your chops.

You asked if this can cause movement of other muscles to compensate, and that reminded me of a problem I had in junior year of high school. I was playing a lot, including strenuous parts, and my mpc was a tight fit. I developed a habit of rolling my lower lip in slightly over my bottom teeth. Didn't even notice I was doing it at first, but later I realized that my subconscious brain was trying to find a way to get my lips inside the cup.

Some fine trumpeters can play very well with a setup like that, but it really messed me up. My upper and lower lips weren't evenly aligned, and my embouchure became less responsive, which caused trouble with articulation, among other things.

I got a bigger mpc and worked with my teacher to get my embouchure straightened out, and everything was fine. It took awhile, though.

I'm not saying this is what's happening with you---no idea without seeing you play. Just thought I'd mention this in case it might help.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: