• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Difference in sound and playability with different blanks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Difference in sound and playability with different blanks Reply with quote

Hi

I thought that I'd share something which at least I find interesting. For my concert band cornet set-up, I use a modular 3C top. Up until a few days ago, I had two top designs, one a copy of the top of a Denis Wick cornet mouthpiece, and the other the standard Kanstul B series modular top, which is basically very similar to the cup end of a Bach trumpet mouthpiece.

There is a definite difference in sound between the Denis Wick blank top and the Bach trumpet blank top, and I have always preferred the sound of the Denis Wick blank top on my Sovereign, and the Bach trumpet blank top on my Xeno.

I needed an additional top, and decided to have one made in a copy of the top end of a Bach cornet mouthpiece. I basically wondered if there was any specific reason for the difference in blank style between a Bach trumpet and cornet mouthpiece, and whether it was simply owing to aesthetics, or whether there were any playing/sound advantages, and since I think the cornet blank looks neater on a cornet mouthpiece, I gave it a try.

I compared my new top to my Bach trumpet blank top on my Xeno. The fundamental difference between the two, is more mass around the bottom of the cup with the Bach trumpet blank top. There is a noticeable difference in sound both my side and the other side of the bell. The Bach cornet mouthpiece blank top gives me the cleaner articulations which I have been seeking on this cornet, and a little clearer sound overall, with the downfall being what appears to be a little less definite slotting in the upper register. I am hoping that the latter may only be a difference in upper register slotting, which I will not notice when I get used to my new top. Anyway, it seems a positive change, and I am always surprised how a slight difference in outer mass/distribution of mass, can make such a difference to the sound. Anyway, I thought that I'd share.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Sarcastic Musician

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while I had 3 Curry 3C. s in three different blanks. Just like with heavier vs. lighter trumpets (or cornets I suppose) I noticed slightly different resistances and sounds. The lighter blank was more agile, and responded more quickly. The heavier blank had more "core" in the sound, and the sound held together better at louder dynamics.

Sadly, all mouthpieces are compromises. So far...
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcastic Musician wrote:
For a while I had 3 Curry 3C. s in three different blanks. Just like with heavier vs. lighter trumpets (or cornets I suppose) I noticed slightly different resistances and sounds. The lighter blank was more agile, and responded more quickly. The heavier blank had more "core" in the sound, and the sound held together better at louder dynamics.

Hi

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences with the Curry mouthpieces.

Sadly, all mouthpieces are compromises. So far...

I couldn't agree more.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9VuJlnwdjr4/VL4eklNpSQI/AAAAAAAAFFw/dl-lpsKWGUA/s1600/lewington-mccann-cornet-mouthpiece-custom.jpg

Two identical mouthpieces with different outer shapes.
The one on the right feels vastly more open and id significantly brighter. Articulation is 25% easier and the upper register also seems to work better. Both mouthpieces were identical to start with (CNC produced and felt identical to blow on.

Outer shape is something that is not fully understood or taken account of yet in mouthpiece design I think.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the case, and you all seem to feel a more skeltonised blank is better, someone should try getting their mouthpiece cut with a CG Personal style blank!
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not necessarily better, just different. Less mass round the rim seems to aid articulation but the sound gets brighter.

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9VuJlnwdjr4/VL4eklNpSQI/AAAAAAAAFFw/dl-lpsKWGUA/s1600/lewington-mccann-cornet-mouthpiece-custom.jpg

Two identical mouthpieces with different outer shapes.
The one on the right feels vastly more open and id significantly brighter. Articulation is 25% easier and the upper register also seems to work better. Both mouthpieces were identical to start with (CNC produced and felt identical to blow on.

Hi GordonH

Thank you very much for sharing. Whereas you have removed mass from under the rim, my top differs from my previous one, in having mass removed from the bottom of the cup.

i.e. (red image is my new top, yellow image is my previous one)

The overall affect seems to be pretty much the same as with your mouthpiece modification.

Outer shape is something that is not fully understood or taken account of yet in mouthpiece design I think.

I agree

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
...Two identical mouthpieces with different outer shapes.
The one on the right feels vastly more open and is significantly brighter. Articulation is 25% easier and the upper register also seems to work better...

The one on the right looks suspiciously like a Wick Heritage...
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
GordonH wrote:
...Two identical mouthpieces with different outer shapes.
The one on the right feels vastly more open and is significantly brighter. Articulation is 25% easier and the upper register also seems to work better...

The one on the right looks suspiciously like a Wick Heritage...

The wick ones have added mass at the bottom of the cup and they have a longer backbore, but its the same idea - copied from the old Hawkes and son models.

VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Chicago Trumpet Hang, Adam Getzen shared some ring weights that you put on the shank of your mouthpiece. They made a small but noticeable difference on mine. I didn't have time then to really see if it would be something I'd do long term, but it was interesting to try.

The heavier ones didn't fit my piece/horn combination, but the lighter two of the four did.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
At the Chicago Trumpet Hang, Adam Getzen shared some ring weights that you put on the shank of your mouthpiece. They made a small but noticeable difference on mine. I didn't have time then to really see if it would be something I'd do long term, but it was interesting to try.

The heavier ones didn't fit my piece/horn combination, but the lighter two of the four did.

Tom

Hi Tom

Sounds very interesting.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: