• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

local gigs, the Real book, and sitting in..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: local gigs, the Real book, and sitting in.. Reply with quote

I went to a local jazz trio gig of a guitar player I know. He's a good player and gigs a lot, though mostly rock & acoustic. On this one, both he and the piano player (when she was even playing) were using a Real Book on EVERY tune. The bass player seemed to be looking on occasionally. To their credit, they played pretty well together.

Well, another trumpet playing friend came, too, and he sat in on a couple of tunes, as did I, and at the end of the evening we finished with a blues. The audience liked it, and people told me I sounded good, too.

I guess there's people here who'd love to have that available to them, and also pros and people in regular bands who wouldn't bother with it. Me, I'm a bit frustrated and sad that this is often what the "state of jazz" is, at least for me.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have somebody look at a book and play a tune well than the alternatives, which include but are not limited to a) s***ting all over the tune or b) playing the same 8 tunes every night.

But yea, I get what you mean.

johnlakejazz.com
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw wrote:
I would rather have somebody look at a book and play a tune well than the alternatives, which include but are not limited to a) s***ting all over the tune or b) playing the same 8 tunes every night.

Truth.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
ktag

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw wrote:
b) playing the same 8 tunes every night.

EIGHT?!? Like anybody knows EIGHT tunes.... (/s)
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw wrote:

Unfortunately, I deal with the "alternatives" on a monthly gig that I do. Bass player isn't a strong jazz player(primarily blues and rock) but refuses to bring a stand to the gig so I can give him the charts I have on my tablets. Instead, he tries to look over on the Piano player's tablet or tries to fumble his way through it. Example was when we played "Star Eyes." He seemed to be bothered that I called it and proceeds to say after we're done that "can we play something that everyone knows?" I've talked to the bandleader about it but I doubt anything will change. So basically, we end up just trying to get through the tunes he knows, rather than just open it up a little bit.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatchmoGillespie wrote:
lakejw wrote:

Unfortunately, I deal with the "alternatives" on a monthly gig that I do. Bass player isn't a strong jazz player(primarily blues and rock) but refuses to bring a stand to the gig so I can give him the charts I have on my tablets. Instead, he tries to look over on the Piano player's tablet or tries to fumble his way through it. Example was when we played "Star Eyes." He seemed to be bothered that I called it and proceeds to say after we're done that "can we play something that everyone knows?" I've talked to the bandleader about it but I doubt anything will change. So basically, we end up just trying to get through the tunes he knows, rather than just open it up a little bit.

I would bet the reason the pain in the *** bass player won't bring a stand is because he can't read well to begin with; if he had the chart smack in front of him he would have no excuse. The guys I play with who scoff at using charts are the ones who are uncomfortable reading them. Interesting that these same guys are the ones who also have the most intonation and rhythmic problems.....charts or not.

Brad
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatchmoGillespie wrote:

Unfortunately, I deal with the "alternatives" on a monthly gig that I do. Bass player isn't a strong jazz player(primarily blues and rock) but refuses to bring a stand to the gig so I can give him the charts

Fire him. If I were local I could do it. I'm sure you have players in your area that can read. Btw I played 5 hours straight Fri night with a group I've never even rehearsed with; everybody had a book, just lead / chord charts
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
SatchmoGillespie wrote:
lakejw wrote:

I would bet the reason the pain in the *** bass player won't bring a stand is because he can't read well to begin with; if he had the chart smack in front of him he would have no excuse. The guys I play with who scoff at using charts are the ones who are uncomfortable reading them. Interesting that these same guys are the ones who also have the most intonation and rhythmic problems.....charts or not.

Brad

Actually, he can because I had to use him on one of my gigs out of sheer desperation and he read the charts just fine. The issue with him is attitude. The gig doesn't pay much and he just always has a look on his face like he rather be somewhere else. It's open mic/jam session and we use it as an opportunity to play different tunes and have fun with it. Talked to the band leader yesterday and I think we've decided to go a different direction with the position. He tried to be patient with the guy but, apparently, he flaked out on another gig recently and that sealed his fate. We're supposed to do a gig next week but I'm hoping he'll just go ahead and can him. I hate to see people get fired but if you're not going to put out an effort to play or even communicate, then we need to move on.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
aluckyitalian

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw wrote:

Ditto!!
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of playing a gig is making good music, not demonstrating you have a good memory. Now I realize you used to have to cut your teeth in jazz learning and playing standards by ear, but it just isn't the case anymore. If you sound good reading, so be it. If you sound bad reading, then maybe you need to consider playing by ear. At the end of the day, if you got the job done, then you did what you were supposed to.

I used to play in a musical where the 2nd chair hand wrote in all the sharps and flats even though they were in the key signature. He didn't miss. Was it really that bad of a "crutch" if he played well?
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horntooter wrote:
The point of playing a gig is making good music, not demonstrating you have a good memory. Now I realize you used to have to cut your teeth in jazz learning and playing standards by ear, but it just isn't the case anymore. If you sound good reading, so be it. If you sound bad reading, then maybe you need to consider playing by ear. At the end of the day, if you got the job done, then you did what you were supposed to.

I used to play in a musical where the 2nd chair hand wrote in all the sharps and flats even though they were in the key signature. He didn't miss. Was it really that bad of a "crutch" if he played well?

In my opinion, you are really selling yourself short if this is your approach to the concept of playing tunes. Learning to play by ear and memorizing melodies and changes, in several keys by the way, is a very important part of developing your overall musicianship.
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in total agreement, homecookin. Absolutely. That was not my point though. My point was not to judge someone for reading music if they are playing the music well.

It's not my personal approach. I have probably hundreds of tunes memorized (I honestly have no idea since I've never listed them). Many are not "memorized" by rote but simply because I can play by ear and know how the song goes. Once you learn this, memorization becomes MUCH easier!
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play guitar, too, so I agree the rhythm section really needs to hold it together, and if you have to read to get it done, so be it. Hey, I'll even watch another guitar players fingers to follow along on a (3 chord rock) tune.

The thing that disappoints me about this is, jazz is a creative art, not about just getting through a song or an infrequent playing opportunity with a pick-up band. To improvise, you have to know the tune. To sound at all like a band that interacts and swings, not just reading chords from a book, you have to know the tune. And for a trumpet player like myself to get better at playing jazz, one needs to play with a good rhythm section.

The idea that memorizing a tune is obsolete because you can look it up on an iPad sounds like another nail in the coffin of jazz.
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old school jazz players never had music in front of them on a gig. People had to know a lot of tunes. Really know them. If you played your own music, you certainly knew it. Times have changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: