• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rolf Smedvig - RIP

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:

Typical NPR presentation. Though the article is short, they found the space to make sure and mention that he was accused of sexism though the example given hardly shows that IMO. (I am sick and tired of NPR these days)

-- Joe

Exactly what I was thinking.

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
Typical NPR presentation. Though the article is short, they found the space to make sure and mention that he was accused of sexism though the example given hardly shows that IMO. (I am sick and tired of NPR these days)

Well, I guess after reading the article - I'd agree with that. I don't have any problem with obits mentioning something something the "critics" might say or some controversy about a public figure if it's significant to their legacy - like say, with a politician. It's not like you can write an obit for Nixon without mentioning Watergate. But that article really seemed like it was reaching for something negative to mention. One instance at a masterclass? Seriously? Even if there was more to it (and I'm not saying there is) it's was rather contrived. I'm all for fair and balanced reporting, but that were really pointless paragraphs that stuck out for no reason.

At least they provided a nice clip.

Edit: it was TWO paragraphs, not just one. Gah!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
It's not like you can write an obit for Nixon without mentioning Watergate.

I think for an obituary, death notice, or eulogy (lit. "good word"), it is bad taste to mention the negative, leaving that for another time and place, or many times not at all.
ghsdirector
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just unliked NPR on Facebook.

Furthermore, I have been shocked and saddened by this sad news just like everyone else. I met him in Atlanta. I found him to be very engaging and fun to talk to. He sought me out and started the conversation! He was a class act and an incredible player. My condolences to his family, colleagues, and friends.

These have been rough times in the trumpet world.
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Rolf gave a lecture/clinic when I was a student at Berklee many years ago. He was still with the BSO at the time so it had to be 80-81. He was holding down the principal chair at the time. It was a small audience and we were able to talk at length with him. He was a very engaging guy and very willing to stay and talk shop with us.
A day or two after this I was walking up Mass. Ave. to a class. I was walking with a girl that I kind of liked. Rolf was walking out of deli, recognized me, said hi and made casual chit chat for a minute or so. My lady friend asked me who he was. I casually mentioned that he was the principal trumpet with the BSO. She was very,very impressed. Thanks Rolf, you made me look like a real big shot. He was a very nice guy.

This story made my day!
ctindel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornet74 wrote:
I often wonder why Smedvig left the Principal position in Boston after only two years; arguably, one of the most coveted principal positions in the orchestral trumpet world.

I asked Rolf this when we were writing the script for his Learning from the Legends DVDs. He said while it was a great honor he had decided he really wanted to pursue a solo career. You can't be traveling around the world doing solo gigs if you have to do performances every week with a symphony.

Rolf was an amazing trumpeter. I think his recording of the Brandenburg is the best that's ever been done, at least on piccolo trumpet. The trumpet world has lost a giant.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctindel wrote:
cornet74 wrote:
I often wonder why Smedvig left the Principal position in Boston after only two years; arguably, one of the most coveted principal positions in the orchestral trumpet world.

I asked Rolf this when we were writing the script for his Learning from the Legends DVDs. He said while it was a great honor he had decided he really wanted to pursue a solo career. You can't be traveling around the world doing solo gigs if you have to do performances every week with a symphony.

Rolf was an amazing trumpeter. I think his recording of the Brandenburg is the best that's ever been done, at least on piccolo trumpet. The trumpet world has lost a giant.

I would also have to believe that it was a financial decision. I'm sure Rolf was able to make a handsome living when he got to call the shots. Being a principal in any major symphony is a prestigious position no doubt. Rolf obviously wanted more control over his career and in the end you are still a salaried employee when you work in the symphony.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltkije1966 wrote:
peanuts56 wrote:
Rolf gave a lecture/clinic when I was a student at Berklee many years ago. He was still with the BSO at the time so it had to be 80-81. He was holding down the principal chair at the time. It was a small audience and we were able to talk at length with him. He was a very engaging guy and very willing to stay and talk shop with us.
A day or two after this I was walking up Mass. Ave. to a class. I was walking with a girl that I kind of liked. Rolf was walking out of deli, recognized me, said hi and made casual chit chat for a minute or so. My lady friend asked me who he was. I casually mentioned that he was the principal trumpet with the BSO. She was very,very impressed. Thanks Rolf, you made me look like a real big shot. He was a very nice guy.

This story made my day!

Thanks Scott. I was definitely walking on air for a while after that encounter.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended the Tanglewood Brass Quintet program in 1986, when the Empire Brass Quintet were artists in residence. I had the opportunity to hear Mr. Smedvig's sound every week.

What a loss to the trumpet world.
craig garner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 10-11 years ago, I had the privilege of meeting Rolf. At the time, I had been arranging quintet music for a few years and I was getting pretty serious about it. I loved Empire's arrangements, and I thought Rolf (and the rest of Empire) were fantastic arrangers. I asked Rolf if he would look at some of my arrangements and give me some pointers. He was BEYOND generous with his time and very much encouraged me to keep writing and push the envelope for brass repertoire. And, we kept in touch for many years.

One summer, the Triton Brass was performing a few of my arrangements at the BU Tanglewood Institute in Lenox. My entire quintet, plus spouses, traveled to attend the concert. I also invited Rolf to attend the concert, which he did! Before the concert, he took all of us out to dinner, with his wife and kids. We talked music for hours. He introduced us all to everyone he knew at the concert…..which was practically EVERYONE. The next morning, he invited me to his home, where I had breakfast with his family. He gave me a tour of the Empire website “office,” we toured the massive studio at his home, and he even waked me through a barn where there were hundreds, if not thousands of arrangements for brass by Rolf and his father. Then we sat and talked about writing and arranging music for brass. His passion for his art was unmistakable. He was an amazing teacher and motivator. I still cannot believe how much time, knowledge and insight he gave to me. It was an experience of a lifetime, and one I will never forget.

Here is a great quote (one of my favorites) from a young Rolf, in a 1987 article:
Only one thing perturbs this gregarious, almost impish, brass virtuoso. He resents the second-class status a trumpeter enjoys compared to the real virtuosi, the violinists and pianists.
"It annoys me a lot. Because I think trumpet playing is more difficult than playing a violin. Just blowing a brass instrument is a lot of work," he said. "Before I go on a tour, I have to go into physical training just to keep in shape. As an instrument, the trumpet is much more unpredictable, and everything depends on delicate facial muscle."

Don’t we all believe this to be true?!?! Thanks, Rolf. You were one of the very best. And we will all miss you.
ctindel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craig garner wrote:
He gave me a tour of the Empire website “office,” we toured the massive studio at his home, and he even waked me through a barn where there were hundreds, if not thousands of arrangements for brass by Rolf and his father.

That barn library is super impressive. Not only did he have those arrangements but he had Ghitalla's private library in there as well. Originals from when Ghitalla revived the Hummel, etc. I hope the collection gets curated well at his alma mater or something so the world can benefit from it.
mavrian22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Typical NPR presentation. Though the article is short, they found the space to make sure and mention that he was accused of sexism though the example given hardly shows that IMO. (I am sick and tired of NPR these days)" et al.

You can get mad all you want at NPR, they're just reporting the facts. An obit doesn't owe anything about being nice to people. You think Clinton's obit won't include Lewinsky?
It was a major controversy. It actually was an impetus for Susan Slaughter founding the International Women's Brass Conference.
http://www.iwbc2014.com/
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess even our heroes are fallible. We all possess a 'dark side', its called being human. Rolf was a great trumpet player, lets remember and celebrate his talent and achievements. RIP Rolf.
joetrumpet2

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard him on the classical FM station driving to work, and had to sit in the car while the work played through......then bought the Empire Brass Gabrielli CD. Great sound, great trumpeter.
joetrumpet2

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olIrf-uioD8
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great recording. Who is the 2nd brass group playing on that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jrogan

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to see him in Melbourne a couple of years ago... he will be remembered for years to come, and his recordings will be listened to by the next generations!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: