• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure questions?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perspective wrote:
horntooter wrote:
... I'm not sure what you mean by "middle C", but usually that is the C below the staff.

... on a Bb trumpet, middle C is in the 3rd space, high C is the second line above the staff and low C is the first line below the staff.

That jumped out to me as I was reading down the thread posts and was going to post on it, but I'll just piggy-back on your comments, "perspective".

I've experienced people who know the "Grand Clef" (or piano clef) where C below the staff is "middle C" and they get that confused with what is what for transposing instruments. To the best of my knowledge, the use of the words "low", "middle" "high" usually relate to the conventional written range of whatever instrument is being referred to (at least on trumpet).

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to my above post 'cause I just saw this.

horntooter wrote:
As I mentioned, "middle C" *usually* refers to the C below the staff. "Middle C" is the actual name of that note (try googling "what is middle C?"). This is why I was asking for clarification. Ask 1000 people who know music which note middle C is, and 999 will tell you it's that one. The one person who doesn't will try to tell you it's different because they play trumpet and that is low C.

Not in my world, horntooter. What do you call the trumpet's first "C" you come to above the staff?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emaginethat wrote:
I refer to the Cs, C below the staff low C. C in the staff middle C, and the C above the staff high C. But if I am wrong thanks for educating me, but I will try to post a video of me playing a scale so you all can get a visual of how I play and what might actually be the problem.
That's what I was taught, too. Make that 2/1000.

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
perspective
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, OK, Horntooter. We all know that middle C, in the wider world, is the one nearest the lid lock on a piano, but we are talking in the context of the standard trumpet range here. No wish to offend. Sorry.
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perspective wrote:
Yea, OK, Horntooter. We all know that middle C, in the wider world, is the one nearest the lid lock on a piano, but we are talking in the context of the standard trumpet range here. No wish to offend. Sorry.

No offense taken or meant to be given. I was just making sure the OP (and apparently some others) understood that the term wasn't clear as it is literally the name of a specific note (the C below the staff). I just think using "C in the staff" is completely clear, whereas middle C has multiple definitions. What if your range encompasses 4 C's ... be it pedal C or double high C? Do you have to change where middle C is? The middle of what? Now your range no longer has a middle C. What if you can only play pedal C, low C, and C in the staff? Middle C is actually the thing everyone outside of trumpet refers to as middle C. Sure, if you're just learning, middle C is the one in the staff, but that won't stay true for long.

Yes, I understand why people would refer to C in the staff as middle C. Low, middle, high. Very good. It's logical. It makes sense. It's consistent within our instrument. It's still weird and confusing since it will always need clarification if you just use the term in isolation.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horntooter wrote:
What if your range encompasses 4 C's ... be it pedal C or double high C? Do you have to change where middle C is? The middle of what? Now your range no longer has a middle C. What if you can only play pedal C, low C, and C in the staff? Middle C is actually the thing everyone outside of trumpet refers to as middle C. Sure, if you're just learning, middle C is the one in the staff, but that won't stay true for long..

horntooter, surely you know that the convention of naming these notes is based on the universally accepted agreement of the playing and written range of the trumpet. Neither pedal C nor screechissimo C are in that scenario.

horntooter wrote:
It's still weird and confusing since it will always need clarification if you just use the term in isolation.

Well, the OP wasn't confused until you brought this into the discussion. In my experience, most beginning to intermediate, and sometimes even above that, instrumental students' musical world is small, if you told one of them to play a middle C they would play, unhesitantly, the C in the staff. They would be confused only if someone (cough, cough) brought the location of the "real" middle C into the picture.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touche.

I do agree that the naming system is logical for trumpet, but having no knowledge of the OP's musical history (maybe he learned piano first!), the note mentioned is ambiguous (to me or anyone, really, not to the OP!).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(post self-deleted. Not really pertinent to the OP's actual question.)

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun May 31, 2015 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emaginethat wrote:
And I live in Nashville, TN

Man, lots of great players there! No doubt a few of them teach well, too?
perspective
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well, all this back and forth as to what you meant by middle C has not got you very far, has it, emaginethat ? As others have said, you need a good teacher and he/she will tell you if you need an embouchure change in order to move forward. Only after that, and all else having failed, consider a switch to another brass instrument that has a larger mouthpiece - trombone maybe ? A very expressive instrument in the right hands and, who knows, yours may the right hands.
Cheers,
I'm out.
emaginethat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I can play a C in the staff just fine, it's just when I get to the E my notes get airy. I can play notes above the staff but it's off an on, and I feel like my lips are being strained when I play notes above the staff because it hurts. But I said I would do a video of me playing, so here's a video of me slurring a couple of scales.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc2mMjrgugc
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a pretty good sound for just a year on the horn. I don't hear anything particularly wrong with your approach or your results. What I do hear is as you ascend is that at some point the note sort of comes out but it's flat, not centered, and that instead of taking your time and adjusting that you continue to ascend until it fails. I'd recommend that you slow down and if a note is flat that you take time to adjust. There are lots of things that could help.
- Try a little more air or a little less
- Try adjusting your horn angle (pivot)
- Try changing you mouth/tongue from an "Ah" to an "Eee"
- Try gently bending the note down then try to let it drift back up to pitch

If a note won't come out on pitch then spend some time on the note below it. Try to make that note super solid. I mean practice it soft/loud, tongued/slurred/breath attack, bent down then back up, approach the note directly/chromatically/interval.

Again, a lot of players in their first year can't play much above C or E in the staff. I think I played 4 years before I was playing hardly anything much above the staff.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This confirms to me that you shouldn't do an embouchure change and your mouthpiece is fine. You definitely sound good and are developing normally.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you for having the nouse and guts to post yourself up on youtube for a bunch of strangers to comment on!

While sound quality is always an issue with home recordings/videos and the like, I hear things that indicate you need to find a live, in person teacher. The reason I say this is that for each point one person raises here, someone else will give you a different perspective, then a different idea, exercise etc. and all that happens is the dedicated young player will naturally get confused, then disheartened, and then take up ice hockey or water polo...

Find a good teacher, trust them, and become the best player you can!

cheers

Andy
prunenoveggie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone has previously mentioned, find a good local teacher. I would recommend first and foremost someone personally recommended (I'm sure there are plenty of trumpet players here on TH who could recommend a good teacher). As someone who has previously been a Takelessons.com instructor, I would NOT recommend it. If you need to find someone online, try using thumbtack (it doesn't cost you anything, and will hopefully get you quotes from a few different teachers). Even if you can't afford regular lessons, try to meet with a good teacher at least once or twice.

From what I see/hear, air seems to be a bigger problem than embouchure. I would try some simple breathing exercises, focusing on maintaining a nice upright posture while staying as relaxed as possible. While you should find that the muscles around your stomach, sides, and lower back are working to both keep you upright and blow out the air, try to keep your neck and shoulders relaxed. This is much easier said than done, but hopefully you'll have an easier time with it than I did!

I don't think it would hurt for you to try a bigger mouthpiece, although I would say if you don't find any improvement within a day or two to switch back. At your stage of development, changing mouthpieces will certainly confuse your chops and your body. However, I can't help but think that a larger mouthpiece might be easier for you to play (you seem to have fairly large lips).

I also have a question for you. How far apart are your teeth when you play? When I was in high school, my embouchure looked similar to the pictures you posted and I couldn't get my teeth open more than a 1/4". In my case, an embouchure change similar to what your band director suggested was quite helpful. However, that change occurred after I had been playing for many years, and, more importantly, UNDER THE GUIDANCE OF AN EXPERIENCED TEACHER. In general, I would NOT listen to any trumpet-specific advice from a band director, however well-intentioned it might be.

Find a teacher! In the meantime, just relax, blow, and try to do what's comfortable and sounds good.

-Miles
1956 Conn 6B Victor
Reeves and Curry Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: