• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

O, the disappointment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: O, the disappointment Reply with quote

My company's HR director and his wife had a moving sale today and I stopped by the see if he had anything interesting.

He plays guitar and has several in his collection. He had told me previously that he played trumpet in high school in the early 1970s. He said his Bach Strad somehow got beat up by his kids. I said I'd like to take a look at it to see how beat up it actually was.

He brought out the case which was not a Bach case. I opened it up and said to myself "that isn't a Strad" at least not one that I was familiar with.

I looked at the bell and nearly fell over. It was a NEW YORK ML Strad with a 7 stamped on the receiver. I told him that these are rare and you don't like to find them in this condition. The bell was dented and wrinkled and had a two-inch patch on the bell bow and the stub that comes out of the first cylinder. The leadpipe was dented and bowed, the pistons need work but they all went up and down even without oil, there was a bottom cap missing. The pistons appeared to be nickel.

From the serial number lists I determined it to be from 1939. I've never seen a NY Strad. I was suprised by how light it is and the wrap is very similar to my Getzen Severinsen -- much smaller than newer Strads.

Are these Strads worth fixing up? He asked me who does restorations like this and I recommended Charlie Melk. I just don't know if it would be worth the effort.

Kent
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, get it done, the resale value alone will take care of the cost.
Also, it's nice to see history preserved.
My 2 cents.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Landress is who I would send it to if I were going to have it refurbished.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess that the patches in the bell and leadpipe make it less likely that an expensive restoration will make the horn particularly valuable. If I had that horn I'd make incremental improvements just to get it in playable condition, with little expectation that it would have much resale. It might turn out to be a gem of a player. If the valves are shot that could dampen my enthusiasm.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen NY Bachs with patches go for big bucks. Valves needing a re-build wouldn't faze me either, as long as that's figured into the price.

I grew up on a great Strad, probably made in '77. The only 2 I ever encountered that I liked better were both NY's. I also REALLY like that #7 leadpipe! Any idea what bell? (Many from that era weren't marked)

So my vote is obviously if you have the cash laying around, this would be a great player on the cheap.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't my trumpet and I don't know if he's willing to sell it. I didn't ask. I wouldn't even know what to offer.

Don't know what the bell is, it wasn't marked. The leadpipe would probably need to be replaced. It has a fairly large dent.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should pull the shop card.
jmax

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got the cabbage, I'd definitely take a flyer on this. Just don't spend more on the horn initially than you are prepared to lose. Then have the horn evaluated by a trusted brass tech. If it's a basket case, hopefully the acquisition price is less than or equal to what eBay (or wherever) will bear for a parts horn.

If the horn is restorable, get the best restoration you can afford as the Mt. Vernon Strads are highly desired, especially those that have been rebuilt and corrected (manufacturing defects). You'll get your money out of it and have an awesome trumpet to boot.

Had I been in your shoes, I would have offered the guy $100 and run. You did say it was a moving sale - so you may never see they guy again....

But a horn like that is only worth it if you've got an extra grand or two to have it properly restored. (And you'd still at least double your money....)
25 King Liberty
30s? New Era
81 Courtois C
42 King Master Model Cornet
14 Getzen Field Trumpet
10 King Ballad Horn
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmax wrote:
...If the horn is restorable, get the best restoration you can afford as the Mt. Vernon Strads are highly desired, especially those that have been rebuilt and corrected (manufacturing defects)...

It's an older New York Bach, not a Mt. Vernon. Whether that's good or bad is debatable.
jmax

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's an older New York Bach, not a Mt. Vernon. Whether that's good or bad is debatable.

and not one I am going to even enter....

I do stand corrected on the Mt. Vernon vs. New York. Bachology is not my forte.
25 King Liberty
30s? New Era
81 Courtois C
42 King Master Model Cornet
14 Getzen Field Trumpet
10 King Ballad Horn
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about NY Bachs, other than from what I've read in the beginning Vincent Bach was selling a very small number of trumpets and most were specifically customized or tweaked for an individual player. I've read this continued into the move to Mt. Vernon, so I'm assuming pretty much any Bronx horn is going to be subject to a love/hate playing experience.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: If it says Strad Reply with quote

And it is affordable BUY. You did the right thing, maybe you can get him to let you take it and have it restored and split the profit after cost. Like buying a wrecked Ferrari.
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: