• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can tounging rapidly improve your upper register?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Can tounging rapidly improve your upper register? Reply with quote

So for the past few days I've had a few strong double G's and one barely present double C. I've been working on tounging in the upper register, and I've found these high notes have been somewhat consistent and I have been able to articulate double G's all the sudden. Like a week ago, I could barley articulate high E's. I've been working on the lead sheet for "In the stone" by Earth, Wind, and Fire. Note I am a sophomore in highschook, so this is very unusual for me. My endurance has also increased a whole lot. Well I did take a day of practice off (meaning I played but didn't really sit down for s few hours and practice).
kylesherman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will big time. The more hours you put in every single day without days off (smartly not just banging head against wall) will make a huge difference in consistency too. Muscle memory.
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can tounging rapidly improve your upper register? Reply with quote

danny45635 wrote:
So for the past few days I've had a few strong double G's and one barely present double C. I've been working on tounging in the upper register, and I've found these high notes have been somewhat consistent and I have been able to articulate double G's all the sudden. Like a week ago, I could barley articulate high E's. I've been working on the lead sheet for "In the stone" by Earth, Wind, and Fire. Note I am a sophomore in highschook, so this is very unusual for me. My endurance has also increased a whole lot. Well I did take a day of practice off (meaning I played but didn't really sit down for s few hours and practice).

Sounds like you are inadvertently practicing tongue arc to me. You should contact Pop's McLaughlin.

Yes. Normal. Keep it up, but don't overdue. Still balance your practice time.
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: yes! Practicing tonguing builds the tongue strength necessary to play high. Now try playing things only K-tongued and see what happens to your range!
mhendricks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a new full range study based on tongueing and air flow to the free Trumpet Players Sample Pack. Get it at http://mphmusic.com/trumpet-music.htm

For info on all of Mark's books and more visit: www.MPHmusic.com
msc0526

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second this the yes. Taking the time to build all the facial muscles, tongue included, is how to build endurance and power. I would also add that it's not all about strength but finding the balance of air between you and the horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: