• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece or embouchure problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutch-trumpet

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece or embouchure problem? Reply with quote

I do not know what the proper English word is for the technique I want to refer to.
I am trying to improve my technique and have discovered a problem with playing legato exercises.

i.e. starting at the low c and then play the d legato, without breaking the air-stream. Then subsequently continue the entire scale: c-e, c-f, c,g, etc. until c-c. (binding the notes fluently together)

On my flugelhorn this is easy. I can fluently bind the notes together over an octave without any 'bumps' between the notes.

On my trumpet I have some difficulty. It is not always fluent. When binding the c to the c one octave higher, then it is tricky to be fluent without briefly playing a g in between.
I think with practice this would become more fluent.

The big problem however is that I can not seam to bind notes from the middle register to anything above the d.
Then the tone becomes airy and cracks up as if my lips can not deliver enough tension.

When playing the same notes in that interval individually without legato there is no problem.
Also when playing it on flugelhorn I have no problem and everything is clean and fluent.

What could be my problem? Does the trumpet require more lip tension?
My mouthpiece on flugelhorn is quite a bit smaller then my trumpet mouthpiece. Could that be the reason?
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are referring to lip slurs. You might be doing any number of things, so I won't even try to guess. Instead I'll suggest trying one of two things to try to help fix it without knowing what "it" is.

1. Try starting the low note with a breath attack (do not tongue the note, but just blow in the mouthpiece until you produce the tone). Then do the lip slur (or binding). It may come out better.

2. Try starting on the high note, going down to the low, and back up. This will "set" the chops to the higher note even though you are playing the lower. You mentioned you could play it, so this might also fix the problem. Then in the future when you need to do this only starting on the low note, remember the setting and set that way before playing the low note.

I wouldn't worry about changing mouthpieces yet. It's likely not the lip tension either. Based on the description, you may have a lot of lip protrusion (more lip inside) in the mouthpiece. The flugel will allow for this since it's so deep, but if the trumpet mouthpiece is shallow you may be "bottoming out" and having your lips hit the bottom of the mouthpiece. In any case, since you can play these notes without the lip slurs, it sounds like an embouchure issue that can be fixed with practice. A lot of people do like to match rim sizes on different instruments though. It's up to you to change, but doesn't sound necessary from the description.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to practice what most call "Lip Flexibility" exercises. And note, that it is not really just the lips that do the job. To slur up we blow stronger and arch our tongues, in the same way we arch our tongues when whistling up to a higher note. "Aw" as when saying "saw" for low notes; "Eee" as when saying "sea" for higher notes.

If you you currently play easily to G on top the staff, a good Flexibility book for you would be "Twenty-Seven Groups of Exercises" by Earl D. Irons, published by Southern Music Company. If you have trouble finding this book in Holland you can order it from Jeff Purtle and he would ship it to you:

https://www.purtle.com/earl-d-irons-twenty-seven-groups-exercises-for-cornet-and-trumpet

If your range ends at or below G on top the staff, a good Flexibility book for you would be "Fundamental Flexibilities" by Matt Graves. This book is available as a PDF download here:

https://www.purtle.com/matt-graves-fundamental-flexibility-studies

I hope this is helpful for you.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Webcam Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip setpoint has already been mentioned.
It really helps.
If we are already set to play a middle C then it is easy to slur from low c to middle C.
If we set the embouchure for low c then we have to work much harder to slur up that same octave.

A great many players also use a tongue arch (like the motion we make when we whistle) to help these slurs. Whistle the 2 notes before you play and then try to do the same tongue motion when you play the slur.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
dutch-trumpet

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horntooter wrote:
I think you are referring to lip slurs.

That is exactly the thing I were referring to. Thank you for helping me remember how to call it in English.
[/quote]
1. Try starting the low note with a breath attack (do not tongue the note, but just blow in the mouthpiece until you produce the tone). Then do the lip slur (or binding). It may come out better.

2. Try starting on the high note, going down to the low, and back up. This will "set" the chops to the higher note even though you are playing the lower. You mentioned you could play it, so this might also fix the problem. Then in the future when you need to do this only starting on the low note, remember the setting and set that way before playing the low note. [/quote]
I will try both suggestions although I already use number 1 as a variation of my slur exercises.

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about changing mouthpieces yet. It's likely not the lip tension either. Based on the description, you may have a lot of lip protrusion (more lip inside) in the mouthpiece. The flugel will allow for this since it's so deep, but if the trumpet mouthpiece is shallow you may be "bottoming out" and having your lips hit the bottom of the mouthpiece.

I do not believe this is the case. Both mouthpieces are a C cup. That is not really a shallow cup.
The main difference is the diameter. My trumpet mouthpiece is a 1.1/4 and my flugelhorn is smaller.
dutch-trumpet

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
You need to practice what most call "Lip Flexibility" exercises. And note, that it is not really just the lips that do the job. To slur up we blow stronger and arch our tongues, in the same way we arch our tongues when whistling up to a higher note. "Aw" as when saying "saw" for low notes; "Eee" as when saying "sea" for higher notes.

The lip flexibility is something I am working on currently to improve my control on the trumpet.
I have no troubles slurring on my flugelhorn. Blowing stronger when slurring up and changing apertures is something I am aware of. Only on trumpet it doesn't work as well for me.
Now I wonder why I am able to perform these on the flugelhorn quite easily even when I haven't played it in some time while it is much harder for me on the trumpet which I play almost on a daily basis.

Quote:

If you you currently play easily to G on top the staff, a good Flexibility book for you would be "Twenty-Seven Groups of Exercises" by Earl D. Irons, published by Southern Music Company.

That's the thing. I am not very confident in the upper register. That is why I am doing slurs and atacks etc. to improve my control and consistency.
The thing is that I can slur up to the G on top of the staff quite effortlessly. On my trumpet however this seems almost impossible at the moment.
I have been practicing for a while now and I do not understand why there is such a big difference in my ability to slur on both horns. Off course the horns are quite different and their mouthpieces are different but the basics for my embouchure should be there if I can do it on the flugelhorn shouldn't it?
dutch-trumpet

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:
Lip setpoint has already been mentioned.
It really helps.
If we are already set to play a middle C then it is easy to slur from low c to middle C.
If we set the embouchure for low c then we have to work much harder to slur up that same octave.

I am going to try this. Eventually the goal is to do this in a piece fluently on the spot with good control.

Quote:

A great many players also use a tongue arch (like the motion we make when we whistle) to help these slurs. Whistle the 2 notes before you play and then try to do the same tongue motion when you play the slur.

The whistling is an interesting suggestion. I will certainly try it!

Someone has told me once that when you practice a phrase you should be able to sing it. When you can sing it, then you can play it.
Unfortunately I am a bad singer with a very limited range. I can not sing the intervals I can play on my horns. Somehow most music is outside the comfort zone for my voice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: