• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Stradivarius 37 alternatives

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marbalgo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Bach Stradivarius 37 alternatives Reply with quote

Hello everyone:

I have a lacquered Strad 37 from middle 80's that has a lot of lacquer loss.
I want to buy a new horn that was, like this, a good all-around horn.

Apart from the option of a new Strad 37 (silver-plate finish), what do yo recommend?
According to people's comments, Schilke S32 and S32-HD are good alternatives.

More ideas?. Perhaps the Kanstul 1537 or the Yamaha Xeno 8335 (yellow brass bell)?

I welcome any feedback or comments.

Thank you in advance!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bach Stradivarius 37 alternatives Reply with quote

marbalgo wrote:

Hello everyone:

I have a lacquered Strad 37 from middle 80's that has a lot of lacquer loss.

Is that all? And is that THE reason that you want a new trumpet?

And why do you want to buy a new horn that WAS a good allround instrument?
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Play what I play." - Every other response in this thread.
mbradd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekthor wrote:
"Play what I play." - Every other response in this thread.

Ha! That's funny.

But, if you like your Strad 37, why get another horn? If you're just looking for something different, go on a safari. And looking for something that plays like a 37 but isn't, well.... better uses for your money.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bach Stradivarius 37 alternatives Reply with quote

marbalgo wrote:

I think you put that well. It's better to think about alternatives in terms of a broad category rather than being an exact clone. Whenever I've played alternatives, they seemed more like distant cousins rather than identical twins. Anyway, here are a few that I've played recently:

Bach 37 Silver (new one, plays most similar to my 1970s Bach 37, by far)
B&S Challenger
Jupiter XO 1602
Shires Model A (I own one of these)
Yamaha Xeno 8335 (there are several variations on this model now)

And here are a few I've read about or played briefly (but not lately):

Getzen Custom 3050
Getzen 907S Eterna Proteus
Kanstul 1537 (I've played one of these briefly, but it's been awhile)
Sonare TRB-803 (I've played the older German version briefly, but it's been awhile)
Piccolo Stomvi
TIJO

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the Scodwell Las Vegas model a try.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spending money hasn't been criminalized yet. it's perfectly reasonable to get a new horn after 30 years.
i would call osmun music and discuss it with them limited to the bach line, and pick out a model. then they will give you a discount on jim becker's special horn tweaks and enhancements, so your new instrument will be all valve aligned, corrected, and blueprinted, and will play that much the easier.
mostly the silver 37 should be fine but it's worth the chat as bach has come out with new models recently.
you guys miss out on the LIVE part of live. you are allowed to purchase goods provided you have funds to do so.
marbalgo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I did not express myself well; I'm interested in your feedback about versatile horns, not in horns that try to copy the "37" sound.

Unfortunately my budget is limited, so I can't afford a specialized trumpet for every kind of music.
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marbalgo wrote:
Perhaps I did not express myself well; I'm interested in your feedback about versatile horns, not in horns that try to copy the "37" sound. ...

Your money would be much better spent on a good private teacher than on a new horn.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Jumel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sound characteristics and playing qualities are you after? The reason I ask is I've also been on a Bach Strad for some time and I find most other horns don't have the sound character I want. That said, if you're happy with the Bach and you don't want to restore your old one, the new Bach's are well done. I've not tried the Artisan outside of a 5 min play test, but it was really a nice horn. Let the sound you're after guide your decision... and have fun in your play testing!
Boston 3 Star Cornet (1904)
Getzen 580 Cornet (1973)
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a Shires Model A hands down over all of the other horns mentioned.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much any pro model from a reputable manufacturer could be a fabulous all-around horn.

Lots of players (you included) really like a Bach 37. I don't. In the Bach line, I much prefer the Artisan.

I owned a Schilke S32 for many years that I liked a lot. (It's the only horn I've sold that now wished I hadn't.) It was nothing like a Bach 37.

My opinion: if you like a Bach 37, by all means get another one. However, if you are curious as to what's out there that's a great all-around horn, try everything that you can get your lips on.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bach Stradivarius 37 alternatives Reply with quote

marbalgo wrote:
According to people's comments ...

Using that metric, you can find recommendations for just about every single make/model of trumpet you can imagine somewhere on TH. That really isn't going to help you narrow it down at all, quite the opposite. Especially since you added later on in the thread that you are not necessarily trying to copy your 37.

I think at least someone should point out that lacquer loss isn't a big deal. In fact, some misguided folks prefer it that way. If that's really all that is wrong with the horn, you could probably have it relacquered quite affordably. Of course, you could have other wear on the valves or elsewhere that you didn't mention that would raise the cost of an overhaul considerably.

If you really want a new horn, and there's no reason why you shouldn't, the number of quality trumpets available today is quite large. If you happen to live somewhere near a major retailer with a lot of inventory that might be a good first stop. The ITG convention (I think today is the last day) would have been another good choice, or any state music educators convention with a bunch of vendors coming in with demo models to play.

Play testing a lot of models will probably give you a far better idea of what you really want in a new horn over people recommending what they have on their stand.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little fun:

Every other trumpet model is an alternative to a Bach 37.

Good, that's out of the way! I think it's easier to find trumpets that are not versatile and eliminate those. Even then, there will be proponents. Of the trumpets I've come across that are not very versatile, the list is short.

Kanstul 1410 Bb/C Convertible. In Bb, this one is pretty bright. Sweet sounding, but definitely bright.

Holton 301MF. Good luck ever finding one. Ed Mann has/had one since new. That one is very narrow focused, bright and (for me) fights the upper register like a boss. Also, it has no bottom register to speak of.

Tiger. It locks you into a narrow fashion palette, unless you get a black one.

Herald trumpet. Tough to play into the stand in a small orchestra or ensemble. Changing mutes is a bear!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, it's been awhile and hope you're well. The ST301 is indeed the brightest horn I've ever played, but with my 3C 24 drill, or my Bach 3 with a 14 drill, mellows. The lower register is booming and it has a HUGE open blow, just the way Maynard indicated. The upper register is limited only by your air and technique. It will shut down, like any horn, if you don't play it correctly. Maynard played it correctly. It's as far away from a Bach 37 config that you can find, which to me is the most versatile horn I know. Full disclosure: I'm a Bach artist endorser, but that's for a reason, the least of which is my playing

ed
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
Brian, it's been awhile and hope you're well. The ST301 is indeed the brightest horn I've ever played, but with my 3C 24 drill, or my Bach 3 with a 14 drill, mellows. The lower register is booming and it has a HUGE open blow, just the way Maynard indicated. The upper register is limited only by your air and technique. It will shut down, like any horn, if you don't play it correctly. Maynard played it correctly. It's as far away from a Bach 37 config that you can find, which to me is the most versatile horn I know. Full disclosure: I'm a Bach artist endorser, but that's for a reason, the least of which is my playing

ed

Hey, Ed! Your Holton was fun to play, as much because the 301 is so rare (wasn't it the first MF?) as it was so different from other trumpets. It certainly requires a specific approach, though. The very first time I tried it, I happened to find that window. The next time, I never did. Oh, well.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought my son a used B&S for a song that plays nicely. I believe it's supposed to their 37 clone. And while I don't think it's exactly the same, it's a very reasonable player.

For an inexpensive new horn check out the Kanstul "student" models.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJMDestino wrote:
I would take a Shires Model A hands down over all of the other horns mentioned.

I would also check out the AZ model (slight variant on the model A). Resistance-wise it feels in between the A and the AF.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:

ed

Hi Brian and Ed,

Off topic a bit, but what's the difference between the ST-301 and ST-302 Holton MF Horns? I had an MF Horn, bought new around 1977. Check out the proper MF grip:

I'm pretty sure it was the ST-302. I played on it until Claude convinced me to buy a CG Benge through him. Sadly, I think I traded my MF Horn in at Zep's Music when I got the CG Benge. Wish I had kept it, even if just to pull it out once in a while and enjoy it.

Cheers,

John
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good suggestions already made here, but another horn to consider is the Kanstul 1537.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: