• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure issues -- what happened??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than trying to call into question the general efficacy of the pencil exercise, instead I'd specifically suggest that in this particular case that it could indeed exacerbate the problem.

I often read of trumpet players who do the equivalent of..."I've eaten too much and am feeling sick. What else can I eat to make me feel better?" Sometimes you just need to stop for a while.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: They Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
They don't even work for eating. Better..to pick ones nose with.

They did
tpt_emily

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I will try to clear some things up...

While healthy, I was playing 5-8 hours a day, depending on how many rehearsals I had in addition to my practice time. I was really trying to up my practice time from 3 to 5 hours a day. Looking back, this may have been a big part of the problem.

I also switched mouthpieces not too long before injury. I had been playing on a Bach 5C for probably 6-8 years and then switched to an Austin Custom Brass 5C. I didn't think there were any issues at the time. I liked the feel and I thought it served me better than the Bach.

I have not seen a doctor because my teacher could tell it was not a tear, which was the main concern. Reading about people's troubles with Bell's Palsy has me wanting to make an appointment...

I am having more good days than bad now, which is wonderful. My tone is almost back to normal. However, I'm only able to play about 90 minutes a day. I still have some pain, but it is not really the same as it was before. It used to be a constant dull pain, like I had bitten my lip or something. Now every once in a while I get a weird sort of pinching sensation in my upper lip. It usually happens earlier in the day. I also am starting to get air bubbles in my right cheek again, which pretty much stopped being a problem for a while. I have noticed that I have been using a bit too much mouthpiece pressure lately and I am thinking that maybe that is the source of most of my problems.

I will be clear and say that I have always used too much pressure. It has always hindered my endurance. It is something I have been trying to fix for quite some time now. Now that I am going through what feels like an embouchure change, I'm trying to eliminate all the bad habits I possible can in the sort of retraining and rebuilding process. I have been doing some breathing exercises to improve air support and just ordered the Breathing Gym.

I am still doing the pencil exercise. Some of you don't like this, but I have found that it really has helped me strengthen the muscles in my face. It is not used in place of practice; it is a strengthening exercise used in conjunction with practice.

I am also wondering your opinions on breaks in between practice. My teacher firmly believes you should rest at least as much as you play. Ideally when healthy, 30 mins on, 30 off in practice. Lucinda Lewis says in her books that you should do your practice in one long run because your lips will swell in between if you take breaks. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me seeing how they're going to swell anyway, and I don't think that is a sensible way to build your endurance. What are your thoughts?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the intensity of any particular exercise sometimes I'll do a minute on then a minute off. There's no way I'd recommend doing 30 minutes straight of super intense playing particularly if it results in any significant discomfort from pressure.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
John Holifield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

I often read of trumpet players who do the equivalent of..."I've eaten too much and am feeling sick. What else can I eat to make me feel better?" Sometimes you just need to stop for a while.

I like that, can I use it? Too bad I'm gonna use it anyway, lol.

John
MusicFit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over time too much pressure can take a toll. However, you shouldn't rule out an actual physical problem. A trip to the doctor can't hurt. You might have hurt one of the delicate muscles around the mouth.

Apart from taking time off and building back slowly my best price of advice is actually...don't think too much about the problem. Instead, let the music flow. Focus on playing beautifully, turn on your creative brain and then the logic off. You might amazed at how much that can fix.

There is a time in practice for logic, but not when you are making music.

GL
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpt_emily wrote:
I am also wondering your opinions on breaks in between practice. My teacher firmly believes you should rest at least as much as you play. Ideally when healthy, 30 mins on, 30 off in practice. ...What are your thoughts?

30 min (with pressure) I believe is way to long to go without resting the chops. Take lots of smaller breaks. For example, play a passage (say 30 seconds), and then rest 30 seconds, repeat as necessary. Rest as you go. With your admitted problem using too much pressure, you can save your chops from swelling and re-injuring.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has taken Emily almost 3 weeks get back to us, and we hear this.

It's getting better.
I still have pain.
My teacher could tell it wasn't a muscle tear.
I get a pinching sensation early in the playing day.
Bubbles in cheek have returned.

To be brutally honest, it sounds like an injury that has not been diagnosed, not allowed to heal and is now becoming chronic. This is not the path to follow, despite everyone's best intentions and advice for or against.

To illustrate: a colleague of mine tore a muscle adjacent to his obicularis oris playing in a full time position. didn't take time off. Ended up having to retire due to the ongoing issues this work related injury caused. The muscle healed in a torn state - with a herniated area (a hole in it).

It was properly diagnosed years after the event and the risk of further damage to his playing ability from surgical repair was considered too high. The effort to maintain his playing standard was extraordinary and a testament to his dedication and sheer guts. Most people would have folded their tent and quit. He still plays as a freelancer, and is a fantastic teacher and player. But the cost to keep it up is very high.

So, for your own sake, STOP playing. GO to a doctor and get a proper diagnosis. Your trumpet teacher, unless a medical doctor who performed the necessary tests is completely and totally unqualified to give you a diagnosis of this obvious injury.

The alternative is possibly something akin to the above. I doubt however, that at the college level, one would continue trying to play in the end. So for your sake, get some proper advice, not internet advice! Yes, this too is internet advice, and may be wrong. But seeking help is not. Seeking help from the wrong people is foolhardy. My oncologist doesn't dispense musical advice and I can't give a medical diagnosis. But he can say some music lessons may help you sound better and I can say see a doctor about big lump on your head! (not your head personally Emily! )

cheers

Andy
tpt_emily

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough; it is time to make a doctor's appointment. However, I would like to note that the pain isn't severe or lasting, so I wasn't that concerned about it, but perhaps I should be.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think being prudent is the thing to think of. What would a reasonably prudent person do? Go to the doctor is the pretty straightforward answer. Hopefully it IS nothing to be concerned about, and you can get back to practicing quick smart...

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: