• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help! Need some insight on this Connstellation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrossmenSoprano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarh331_Dad wrote:
Dude: You just purchased the greatest trumpet evah.

And it was on your wife's recommendation? Because her ear is so good that she could hear the difference?

You are one very, very lucky man.

Count your blessings.

PS: 30 years ago would have been circa 1985? Conn's last year in Elkhart was in 1970, and the brand has been wandering in the wilderness ever since - moving down to Abilene TX and maybe back to Elkhart briefly and then on to Eastlake OH.

Anyway, 1985 would have been about 15 years after the end of the Glory Years, so Conn would not have had a very good reputation at that point.

These Evil Mega-Corporations [Conn-Selmer-Holton-King-Bach-UMI-Steinway-Whatever] are, well, simply EVIL.

Hey Tarh331_dad,
Thanks for all your help on this horn!

To clarify and confirm your timeline guess from my ballpark 30 yrs, your almost dead on target.
In 1978 my parents listened to my music teachers and took me to get a serious trumpet. It ended up a Bach Strad 37ML in silver. I don't think I was even given a Conn to try.

-'87 was the end of my hardcore playing (big bands, jazz and funk) and had never deviated from my Bach. It always did what I asked it to do and never gave me a reason to look elsewhere.

Yes sir!
She has a good ear and I count my blessings all the time!
Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 37 mandrel in 0.459 is the POLAR OPPOSITE of the Conn horns in 0.438, like the big bell [5&1/8"] Connstellation.

Here's Christine on Bore Size:

http://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnBoreSizes.html

But even if you get away from Bore Size, just the mandrels on the old Conns sound totally different from the mandrels on the Bachs.

For instance, I maintain that this is the best that Horn Trader ever sounded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckqT2nrjz-M

In that video, Horn Trader is playing an old 2B New World Symphony, which is in 0.459 [like most Bachs], but something about the mandrel [and the horn innards?] makes it sound completely different from any Bach that I've ever heard.
CrossmenSoprano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarh331_Dad wrote:
Well the 37 mandrel in 0.459 is the POLAR OPPOSITE of the Conn horns in 0.438, like the big bell [5&1/8"] Connstellation.

Here's Christine on Bore Size:

http://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnBoreSizes.html

But even if you get away from Bore Size, just the mandrels on the old Conns sound totally different from the mandrels on the Bachs.

For instance, I maintain that this is the best that Horn Trader ever sounded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckqT2nrjz-M

In that video, Horn Trader is playing an old 2B New World Symphony, which is in 0.459 [like most Bachs], but something about the mandrel [and the horn innards?] makes it sound completely different from any Bach that I've ever heard.

In the brief time I've had with the Conn I agree. Bore feels quite different in many ways and so far I am liking what I am feeling. There's just some kind of ease in my air column that I've not felt before. I will confess that I am not as astute as I should be about trumpets and need get educated again.

In your terms, what's the difference in mandrel between the Bach 37 and Connstellation 38b? Once I have a layman understanding I may be able to express myself better. Unfortunately when I was learning no one really got in depth with me on details of the horn like a pro would have. They just focused on teaching me how to get the best out of what I sounded good on. (Ah the good old days long before the interwebz.)

Thanks for the link to Horn Trader, that is a noticable difference in sound even through YouTube. I kinda hear that big round sound that the Conn makes for me but it was out of a Bach? I'm pretty sure I heard what you were getting at.
Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrossmenSoprano wrote:
what's the difference in mandrel

In general, I would love to know the answer to that question - to see overlays of one mandrel shape upon another.

Apparently the guys who are sitting on a ton of mandrels which fit the vintage horns, and who still make custom bells for small shops around the country, are Anderson Silver Plating of Elkhart:

http://www.andersonsilverplating.com/

But my guess is that Anderson considers their mandrel collection to be highly proprietary, and I'd guess that they would want to talk about mandrel specifics about as much as, say, Coca-Cola Inc would want you to know the actual recipe for Coca-Cola the fountain drink.

BTW, on the mouthpiece side of things, are you familiar with the Kanstul comparator? Kanstul has laser [or ultra-sound?] scanned a bunch of famous mouthpieces, and their software allows you to overlay one mouthpiece on top of another:

http://www.kanstul.com/MPcompare/MouthpieceComparator.html

But I don't know of anything like that for bells.

PS: Mr Kanstul is like a gazillion years old now. Back in the day, he started his career at FE Olds and Sons, learning the craft from Frank Reynolds [after Reynolds had sold his own brass label to Olds]. Mr Kanstul has probably forgotten more about the American brass scene than most people will ever be capable of learning.
CrossmenSoprano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for mandrel I understand what you're saying. Intellectual property at its best I guess?

I have seen the comparator before and will need to do some homework before I go to Dillons on a mpc hunt. So many options. I played a Bach 1-1/4C forever but it's a bit much for me now. Been bouncing back and forth with a Bach 3C and a BlackHill 7es. The Conn came with an OLD Bach 10-1/2C tucked deep in the case. It's an interesting piece and will give it a good workout to see if that rim size feels better.
Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the mouthpiece front, there are just about infinitely many possibilities nowadays.

Before doing anything else, I'd search the Marketplace here at TH to see if anyone is offering anything that interests you.

Also, board Member Trent Austin, of Austin Custom Brass, is a HUGE Conn fanatic, and he's designing all sorts of mouthpieces now, and he might be the best guy to get in touch with for a very knowledgeable opinion about matching a quality mouthpiece to that Connstellation.

Trent Austin
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1356

Trent really knows his stuff - from vintage all the way through to cutting edge - right now, he's working very closely with Adams, out of Holland, producing new designs in bores like 0.438, which [to a certain extent] try to pay homage to the old Conn sound.

Adams Wind Instruments
http://www.adams-music.com/shop/?m=BLAASINSTR
CrossmenSoprano

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarh331_Dad wrote:
On the mouthpiece front, there are just about infinitely many possibilities nowadays.

Before doing anything else, I'd search the Marketplace here at TH to see if anyone is offering anything that interests you.

Also, board Member Trent Austin, of Austin Custom Brass, is a HUGE Conn fanatic, and he's designing all sorts of mouthpieces now, and he might be the best guy to get in touch with for a very knowledgeable opinion about matching a quality mouthpiece to that Connstellation.

Trent Austin
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1356

Trent really knows his stuff - from vintage all the way through to cutting edge - right now, he's working very closely with Adams, out of Holland, producing new designs in bores like 0.438, which [to a certain extent] try to pay homage to the old Conn sound.

Adams Wind Instruments
http://www.adams-music.com/shop/?m=BLAASINSTR

Thanks again,
You are really being helpful and I can not express my gratitude for all your guidance. You Rock!

I'll take a look at the market place to see what's there. I will definitely reach out to Trent as well for some of his advise.

I'm not sure what it is about this Connstellation but it has me on a hook that is deeply set. The more I play it and work out on it, the better it gets. I dug out an old chart of "One More Time Chuck Corea" from the early 80's. Threw in an old recording of us playing that tune on my big audio rig and played along to my old lead parts. I normally don't ever see my wife pop into my audio room but last night she did, tears welling up and said "I haven't heard you play like that since we first met. I don't know how, but that horn and you seem to have been meant to find each other."
Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so awesome - your wife is definitely "A Keeper".

Hey, I thought of one other resource:

Player/horn combinations
http://abel.hive.no/trompet/playerhorn/

It tells you who was playing which horn and which mouthpiece at very roughly a certain point in time.

So that for instance the great Maynard recordings, on the Connstellation 38B [circa late 1950s/early 1960s], were probably recorded on vintage Callichio or Holton or Giardenelli moutpieces.

And the great Cat Anderson recordings, on the Connstellation 38B [circa 1960s], were probably on some custom Charlie Allen mouthpieces, which were essentially solid brass cabinet knobs with tiny little airhole cylinders drilled through them:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/cat_anderson/

I have only ever seen Charlie Allen mouthpieces for sale once, about a year ago, on eBay, and the guy wanted like $250 each for them.

Which is typical of the great vintage mouthpieces - like the Al Cass [Milford, MA] mouthpieces or the vintage JetTone mouthpieces [which Maynard was playing on in the 1970s] - they always bring top dollar.
CrossmenSoprano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarh331_Dad wrote:
That is so awesome - your wife is definitely "A Keeper".

Hey, I thought of one other resource:

Player/horn combinations
http://abel.hive.no/trompet/playerhorn/

It tells you who was playing which horn and which mouthpiece at very roughly a certain point in time.

So that for instance the great Maynard recordings, on the Connstellation 38B [circa late 1950s/early 1960s], were probably recorded on vintage Callichio or Holton or Giardenelli moutpieces.

And the great Cat Anderson recordings, on the Connstellation 38B [circa 1960s], were probably on some custom Charlie Allen mouthpieces, which were essentially solid brass cabinet knobs with tiny little airhole cylinders drilled through them:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/cat_anderson/

I have only ever seen Charlie Allen mouthpieces for sale once, about a year ago, on eBay, and the guy wanted like $250 each for them.

Which is typical of the great vintage mouthpieces - like the Al Cass [Milford, MA] mouthpieces or the vintage JetTone mouthpieces [which Maynard was playing on in the 1970s] - they always bring top dollar.

Sorry for the delayed response, was at family events all weekend.
Those are some way cool sites and again, big thank you!
It's amazing what we can know now about our fellow players and idols thanks to the web.

I was reading you post at 2:00am and made the most ackward snort/laugh noise when I read, "which were essentially solid brass cabinet knobs with tiny little airhole cylinders drilled through them:"....... tried to hold it in as to not wake the wife and dog. No such luck, woke them both so I turned off the ipad and went to sleep. That visual just made me laugh my ass off.
Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click on the link above, the guy talks about it in great detail. There are persistent rumors that Cat always placed a handkerchief over his horn when, say, he needed to excuse himself and head to the men's room, so that none of his fellow players could glance at the shape of the super-secret proprietary Charlie Allen/Cat Anderson recipe for those mouthpieces.

connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tarh331_Dad"]Dude: You just purchased the greatest trumpet evah.

And it was on your wife's recommendation? Because her ear is so good that she could hear the difference?

Count your blessings.

PS: 30 years ago would have been circa 1985? Conn's last year in Elkhart was in 1970, and the brand has been wandering in the wilderness ever since - moving down to Abilene TX and maybe back to Elkhart briefly and then on to Eastlake OH...

quote]

There's a something of a 'je ne sais quois' positive quality to the Conn 0.438 bore. My 28A, Victor, and Connquest all have it. I'm no pro, but here's the evidence: a. The neighbor's dog barks, circles, then lays down quiet when I'm on the Connstellation. b. Their own brochure from '63 says the 12B has "extra trumpet brightness", which it does. I call it a liveliness, not a jumpiness or an edge, and c. even the humble 77B got my teacher scratching his head - in a good way - at the sound it spread (Wick 4B mpc). Plus, in keeping with the OP, the gf calls down to the basement: "I like that piece" when I'm on that old worn C249xx Connquest, regardless of mpc.

CONNgrats on you and yours!
CrossmenSoprano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarh331_Dad wrote:
If you click on the link above, the guy talks about it in great detail. There are persistent rumors that Cat always placed a handkerchief over his horn when, say, he needed to excuse himself and head to the men's room, so that none of his fellow players could glance at the shape of the super-secret proprietary Charlie Allen/Cat Anderson recipe for those mouthpieces.

I have never in my life seen or played on something that shallow!
Think I'll run to Home Depot tomorrow and get some door pulls and play around with my drill press and most shallow router profile bits. Might us a golf tee top as my template. That should be about the same depth.
CrossmenSoprano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="connicalman"]
Tarh331_Dad wrote:
Dude: You just purchased the greatest trumpet evah.

Count your blessings.

PS: 30 years ago would have been circa 1985? Conn's last year in Elkhart was in 1970, and the brand has been wandering in the wilderness ever since - moving down to Abilene TX and maybe back to Elkhart briefly and then on to Eastlake OH...

quote]

There's a something of a 'je ne sais quois' positive quality to the Conn 0.438 bore. My 28A, Victor, and Connquest all have it. I'm no pro, but here's the evidence: a. The neighbor's dog barks, circles, then lays down quiet when I'm on the Connstellation. b. Their own brochure from '63 says the 12B has "extra trumpet brightness", which it does. I call it a liveliness, not a jumpiness or an edge, and c. even the humble 77B got my teacher scratching his head - in a good way - at the sound it spread (Wick 4B mpc). Plus, in keeping with the OP, the gf calls down to the basement: "I like that piece" when I'm on that old worn C249xx Connquest, regardless of mpc.

CONNgrats on you and yours!

Thanks connicalman, appreciate it.

There is something very unique to me about this horn. I'm still trying to put the difference into an intelligent narrative but my wife said something tonight after playing Maria from West Side Story for her on both the Bach and the Conn. It was kind of a litmus test for me.
She said "the Bach sounds beautiful, clean, full and open..........the Conn sounds beautiful as well but has a more rich, full bodied, sexy sound to it."
In the case of Maria, to her, it took on more essence of the passions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: