• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

leadpipebuzz youtube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:

It sounds like a couple of the things I posted gave you one of those moments, which makes me very happy.

It did indeed; it was EXACTLY what I needed actually. I was approaching the pipe completely backwards before. Thanks for the advice!

Thread killer.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Take the main tuning slide out. Pull out the mouthpiece and blow through the mouthpiece with the lips close together, but not so close so as to "buzz". Slowly insert the end of the mouthpiece into the receiver while blowing. The resistance of the leadpipe should create a buzz to occur. In this way, your embouchure should be set but relaxed, and the buzz should come as a product of the added resistance, not as a product of "buzzing" into a mouthpiece. After you get the buzz going on concert Eb, there are several additional things to do, once you put the tuning slide back into the horn. Those including chromatic long tones, chromatic expanding scales, Schlossberg Studies, and a great deal more. Mr. Adam would assign for use depending upon each student's individual needs.

You are working for a full air stream, a relaxed embouchure, and a big tone. Rest as much as you play, which can easily be achieved if you do it with another player, and play the exercises back and forth at one another from across the room. It is a great "buddy" exercise.

Hope this helps,

Resurrecting a zombie thread :

I tried this, and had a full air stream, a relaxed embouchure, a big sound ... and was about a fifth too low in pitch. I know this issue has come up before, but how would you tell a student who was new to this technique to keep the relaxed embouchure, but get the target pitch, or close to?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relaxed embouchure is not to enter your mind. Focus on putting the air in motion through the pipe and keep your mind on tone and pitch.

Also, don't tell them anything. Show them. Model. Call and response.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I start everyday. If I want a higher pitch I just increase the velocity of the air depending on the note. I play expanding notes starting on middle G and working both sides in semi tones tasting each note separately by balancing the resistance with the velocity of the air.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The formation of the embouchure is a result of creating the sound. Release the air as though you are yelling.

Trumpet playing is 90% mental (imagining the sound), 9% air (take a full breath), 1% physical (lips, fingers, tongue, etc.) Getting these mixed up can have disastrous results.
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
JazzmanGIANT wrote:
This is not to make Adam sound not important, but wouldn't there be a commonality without his teachings anyway? Or really any single teachers. Isn't the commonality resulting from a real control of the instrument and oneness with music/trumpet (which Adam is one of the many good ways to get there)?....

Not necessarily. There are lots of players that are one with the music and the trumpet that do not have this quality to their sound. The sound we aspire to is rich in overtones and the full harmonic spectrum is balanced. It stems from playing in a way that is "in phase" with the physics of the trumpet.

It is easy to confuse the tone connected with a certain style of playing and a tone that is acoustically complete. Some of my favorite artists (with great style and creativity) do not have these acoustical qualities in their sound.

People who do have these qualities are not necessarily Adam students, but
Adam students do have this quality. Arturo, Doc, Thomas Hooten, Freddie (who took a few lessons with Adam but mostly studied with Herb Mueller) and Herseth didn't study with Adam but they have it. Botti, Hey, Brecker, Charlie Davis, and the rest of Adam's students (note apostrophe) have this quality regardless of musical style.

Lots of players I admire do not have these timbral qualities-including some of my favorites. Miles, Chet, Wynton (to cite just a few fine players) are one with the music and the instrument but do not have this timbral signature in their sounds.

Is this comparable to 'Singer's Formant'?
EricM224
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great link that I use from time to time of Matt Anklan. Great trumpet sound is great sound, so if you're modeling a beautiful sound things should fall into place. I think Matt has one of the best sounds I've ever heard and I constantly find myself trying to play up to his level. This IS NOT necessarily how Matt may teach a student, he would most likely alter his sound as Mr. Adam did, however, this IMO is an excellent starting place for someone who is trying to introduce themselves to "that sound" and doesn't have the option of visiting a dedicated Adam teacher in their area. Hope this link helps you as much as it helps me

http://www.matthewanklan.com/#!practice-with-a-pro/c1htd
www.ericsiereveldmusic.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: