• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stork A+ vs Wick 2 cornet mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Stork A+ vs Wick 2 cornet mouthpieces Reply with quote

Yesterday I received a Stork 1A+D underpart with Bach threads which I matched to a 1C rim. I have always played a Wick 2 in brass bands as I am conscious of not sounding like a trumpet player playing cornet. I started off in brass bands half a century ago, switching to the trumpet at the age of 18 and pursuing a professional orchestral career for the last 30.

At present I play on a Kanstul short model shepherds crook cornet.

The Wick 2 produces the darkest sound of the two but the compromise is the lack of focus especially above high C. The Stork A+ also has a very dark sound quality but is more agile and slots better. I feel the Stork requires less effort while the sound is more flexible.

I am interested in your feedback if you have compared these 2 excellent cornet mouthpieces?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Stork A+ also has a very dark sound quality but is more agile and slots better.

That it slots better really caught my interest. One of the strengths of the Wicks for me is their very secure slotting making fast passages easier. If the Stork improves on this, that says much.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried many mouthpiece brands, sizes etc and never found any to match the sound of the Wick 2. Playability has always come second. I believe this mouthpiece to be the best of both worlds. I guess I have found the response of the Stork for me anyway feels more like the trumpet mouthpieces I use. Maybe its the rim? I believe its worth a try.

BTW Richard 111 the York Eminence is my favorite brass band cornet. They are getting harder to find unfortunately.
hankcaruso

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in a brass band and was playing a Wick 4 but then I tried the Stork 3A+ and I'll never go back. My flexibility improved and the slotting was much better. Granted, it doesn't have that "foggy" Wick sound. I was concerned because the rest of the section plays Wicks. But after my first rehearsal with the Stork, the conductor came over and said he heard the 1st Cornets much more clearly and that he liked the sound. That was enough for me.
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to trumpet herald 'hankcauso'.

The Stork produces a large core of sound with more definition than the Wick, combined with some extra sparkle.
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Wick 3B, Stork A+ cup, GR cup 6 and Curry BBC mouthpieces on my cornet.
My conclusions are :
- Wick B cup : It has the darkest sound beneath the staff (although more "foggy" like described earlier). I really hate the uncomfortable rim and above the staff my sound really looses core and becomes thin and weak. Besides that, it is a whole lot of work to play above the staff. You sure need strong chops to pull that off.
- Stork A+ cup: Nice sound, not as dark as the Wick. Better rim, although not yet perfect. Even sound throughout the register. Easier above the staff than the Wick.
- GR 6 cup : It matches the size of my GR trumpet mouthpiece. Really love this mouthpiece. Powerfull sound, even throughout the register, easy upper register. Only downside is that using my cornet and chops, it sounds just a bit too bright and trumpetty. So I only use this one for music than doesn't need the "BBB" alike sound. Blends with the section.
Curry BBC : Is somehow a mix of all the above pieces. Nice sound, very close to the Wick. But the Curry has an even sound throughout the register. Easy to play, also above the staff. I like the rim. Blends with the section (more easily than the GR).

So my personal conclusion : I use the GR when I need some more power (playing outside, solo, when suited the music). And I use the Curry as my main mouthpiece for cornet.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to the list is a Yamaha E. Sound between Wick no letter and B with more core and less sparkle than the B but more secure in the upper range. Definitely doesn't play like a Wick. Maybe better.

Conn 22B Trumpet
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Adding to the list is a Yamaha E. Sound between Wick no letter and B with more core and less sparkle than the B but more secure in the upper range. Definitely doesn't play like a Wick. Maybe better.

Wow… Maybe I should get my hands on a Wick no-letter. I have a Yamaha 9E, which IMHO delivers the *perfect* cornet sound. I wouldn't mind something a little richer/"darker" if that is even possible...
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnArtist wrote:
Richard III wrote:

Wow… Maybe I should get my hands on a Wick no-letter. I have a Yamaha 9E, which IMHO delivers the *perfect* cornet sound. I wouldn't mind something a little richer/"darker" if that is even possible...

Often it is deader sounding and not richer. Playing a Wick no letter is a commitment to avoid that. The result can be amazing but many don't reach that.

Conn 22B Trumpet
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone with a naturally bright sound (me) and "bull chops" (me a month ago but not so much right now) a Wick 2 on flugel is heavenly lush. Not so fond of the rim. I should look into Stork! What is the A+ cup as compared to the A+D?

And comparison of Yamaha E cup to Stork? (cornet)

Oh, and maybe this should be in the cornet / flugel forum
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wick 2 can also be very bright sounding when you push it, if it's in the right instrument. I don't think it works terribly well in large bore instruments - it was designed at the time when medium bore was standard.

My flugel has a cornet receiver so I sometimes use the 2 cornet in the flugel and it works not bad - very helpful in the upper register compared to the 2F.

Also - to note - the newer Wick 2 has a more defined transition from the cup to the backbore like the 2RW had, making it respond better on some instruments.
Also Wick has better quality control now they are made in house on CNC lathes and they fit the correct distance into the receiver. So if you have not tried one for a few years you might find the current version workable where the old one wasn't.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: