• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why Is There No Discussion On Trumpet Andragogy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Why Is There No Discussion On Trumpet Andragogy? Reply with quote

I am curious from a student perspective about older and not so older adult learners and education methods as the opposite of pedagogy is andragogy. I fall under what is considered as the early adulthood category and I know what it is like to hear no one is going to teach anyone my age how to learn to play an instrument. Can it be said that adult learning is a non-issue to society overall or is it solely an issue only of importance to academics who are musicians?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of teachers work with older beginners and/or comeback players. I'm not sure where you are getting this idea that nobody will work with you.

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in Alabama as your handle implies, and close to Tuscaloosa, there is even a New Horizons type band there you might be interested in. It sounds like you would be a perfect fit for the New Horizons type approach.

Find out more here:
http://newhorizonsmusic.org
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't much of an emphasis on teaching adults because most paying music jobs involve teaching youngsters. Since most academic areas are about teaching kids (of various ages) the pedagogy of it is far more developed.

I know many teachers that teach adult students - beginners or otherwise. I have done it myself, and would do it again. I enjoyed the experience. Actually, I don't know of any instructors that wouldn't take on an adult, though I suppose there are some.

I'll admit it was a bit odd, initially, when you are several decades younger than your student.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Is There No Discussion On Trumpet Andragogy? Reply with quote

bamajazzlady wrote:
I am curious from a student perspective about older and not so older adult learners and education methods as the opposite of pedagogy is andragogy. I fall under what is considered as the early adulthood category and I know what it is like to hear no one is going to teach anyone my age how to learn to play an instrument. Can it be said that adult learning is a non-issue to society overall or is it solely an issue only of importance to academics who are musicians?

I see two different issues raised.
1) That you have trouble finding a teacher appropriate for your age.
2) That pedagogy gets more attention than andragogy.

To #1 I would have to say that it's a problem with your zip-code. I have never had trouble finding a teacher, and every one of them had different lesson plans for adult players.

To #2 I understand that there is a reason - educating our children is job #1. As to the difference, I'm guessing that there will be more attention given to andragogy as our population ages. AARP is a big proponent of it, and "life-long learning" has become a civic issue in many area.

I took some night classes at the local Junior College. While I was older than most of the teachers I've never been the oldest person in a class.

Just my $.02,
Gary.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a number of adult students over the years, that were much older than me. Some were come-backs, others were beginners. I currently have a really cool guy who started as a beginner a couple of years ago, now playing through Concert and Contest having finished Rubank Intermediate. He's 75.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely 100% of my income is in teaching adults, or book sales to adults. Some are already pros, some are in college or Grad school, some are comeback players.

Plenty of teachers specialize in teaching adults.
I didn't know it needed to be discussed.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: School for Adult Learning Reply with quote

Go to one of the local colleges or universities. Most will probably have a department with the title of "School for Adult Learning", which is geared to those of use who are definitely not kids, but still want to learn.

Also, just go talk to the folks who give lessons in the area. I'm only 7 years younger than the guy I'm studying with, and I'm in my 40's. Age shouldn't be an issue if you want to learn something (anything).

D
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taught a number of adult students: beginners, come back players and what you might call mid level players. The majority of students I have taught and currently teach are students in either middle or high school, but have always enjoyed working with adults as well.

Brad
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Bama Lady Reply with quote

I know that the original and initial premise is incorrect. It is not difficult to find a teacher for an adult. I called the Principal player in a symphony orchestra and he took me "sight unseen"....one phone call. ..Pick up the phone.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamajazzlady, I pass within 1 mile of where you live on a regular basis. I have experience helping players of ALL ages including beginners.

Now, do you want to learn play the thing or not?
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's to Gary and Alan, both former students of mine.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems pretty well covered already, but, for what it's worth, I have also taught a number of adult students. Actually, in many cases, adults are my favourite students to teach. Not only are they choosing to give up their own time and money for lessons (rather than some kids who would rather be playing video games, so only work as hard at playing as is necessary to keep their parents adequately happy) and so are virtually always motivated, they also like the trumpet, and trumpet music, or else they wouldn't have started in the first place. When I suggest that adult students to listen to something, they actually do it. And, if they like it, they probably listen to more as well, and likely buy some of it. Also, from a teacher's standpoint, adult students generally will want hourlong lessons and could potentially take lessons for years and years if they like it, whereas most kids will be half hour lessons, and many for only short periods of time, and stopping during the summer.
Silver3B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a newbie adult, in my 50's, on trumpet for only the past few months now. I’ve had nothing but support and encouragement from the older and younger trumpet players. The few people I’ve contacted for establishing lessons/private instruction have been open with genuine optimism and have made themselves available.

Trumpet players seem to be pretty cool people.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it falls under Pedagogy?

1. the function or work of a teacher; teaching.
2. the art or science of teaching; education; instructional methods.

Kent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: