• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A couple videos of the Del Quadro Grizzly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: A couple videos of the Del Quadro Grizzly Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for letting me take this for a spin... the first clip of me playing Stardust is without a warmup fyi.

Link

This clip is showing some of the versatility of the horn. Be advised I'm no longer a high note player like I was in HS/College (I run for the 4th chair these days).

Link

Hopefully this thread will stay a while...

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will put you on the spot. how would you compare mike's against the adams line. from what i could tell it had luscious tone.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, but if that's fourth chair, I'd need to run for the 14th chair!😎

Brad
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent - as always wonderful jazzing! Stardust rendition was beautiful. That horn seems to have a tremendous amount of overtones. I get the impression of a sound between Lee and Clifford in my mind.

But is it you or the horn? Obviously it's a very fine instrument - but it would be really cool if you would play some back to back jazz going from, say, a Strad 37 type axe to this horn and back. Thanks again for all your great clips dude! Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Trent - as always wonderful jazzing! Stardust rendition was beautiful. That horn seems to have a tremendous amount of overtones. I get the impression of a sound between Lee and Clifford in my mind.

But is it you or the horn? Obviously it's a very fine instrument - but it would be really cool if you would play some back to back jazz going from, say, a Strad 37 type axe to this horn and back. Thanks again for all your great clips dude! Best, Lex

Well I already shipped the horn back to Mike but I have a few audio clips as well on Soundcloud I posted:

https://soundcloud.com/trent-austin-2/chelsea-bridge-grizzly-del-quadro-demo

https://soundcloud.com/trent-austin-2/some-blues-on-the-dq-grizzly

https://soundcloud.com/trent-austin-2/grizzly-trumpet-sound-test

The horn has a dark core when played softly but opens up nicely when pushed. While I'm not a huge fan of copper bells in general on trumpets (although I do prefer a bronze valve block) this horn has a great mix of sound choices available. I think it feels better "for me" with a bigger mouthpiece. The three clips above I used my ACB 3B mouthpiece on.

All in all the horn is a great option for someone who is looking for a horn with a rich sound profile that won't be too "dead" to work in sections or playing commercial music.

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
trumpetguy27
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:

Actually, I really like that idea. With the amount of nice videos you put out there Trent, keeping A constant middle of the road type horn like a 37 to be used in each as a comparison could be really cool.

Just a thought.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But is it you or the horn?"

It's always "you." The horn, however, has to be good enough to allow the artist to shine. Obviously, this one does. Sounds great.

-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's always "you." The horn, however, has to be good enough to allow the artist to shine. Obviously, this one does. Sounds great.

Of course - Any well made trumpet will amplify your sound in a good way that you want it to. An old Holton Collegiate from the 50's-70's or an old Getzen Capri or 300 series can do extremely well for me. I do find certain trumpets can get more overtones in the sound in a way I like for jazz..like a certain richness..I find nickel plating and copper plating do things to a good trumpet that I really like for jazz..

I think this 'grizzly horn' is going to do really well and I'll bet I'll be getting my hands on one before too long to try. I've already passed the clips and info along to several colleagues including one looking for a new horn.

Again thanks for the comments on the horn Trent - and great clips! Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, I really like that idea. With the amount of nice videos you put out there Trent, keeping A constant middle of the road type horn like a 37 to be used in each as a comparison could be really cool.

Yeah Trent, for future reference and the benefit of the whole trumpet community - my idea for you is outstanding.
Www.LexSamu.com
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a youtube clip of a very average player with an A4. i always get a better idea of sound color when played by a student. trent has enough game to make anything sound good and i can only get a <very> general idea from his clips.
i got enough of an idea from the MDQ to get that what mike builds is worth purchasing. i feel however to be better suited playing a brass bell. the horn i have that goes off that paradigm is a carol 3880 cornet with a gold brass bell. it sounds warm all the time as a cornet should. i still have plans to get a second cornet with a brass bell figuring to get that sparkle and life of more inherent high overtones... in addition to the instrument's, and my, inherent darkness. i guess some of this depends on who you are, your sound concept and approach. the copper is compellingly pretty but as with women she doesn't have to be a beauty if she brings a lot to the table. i hope women see things the same way i'm not much to look at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: