• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New CSO CD box set

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: New CSO CD box set Reply with quote

Hi all-

I recently picked up a copy of the new RCA box set featuring all of Jean Martinon's Chicago Symphony recordings. For some reason Fritz Reiner and George Solti's recordings have always eclipsed those of Martinon, yet I would argue that these recordings as a set represent one of the truly great eras in the CSO's history. You may have some of these individual discs, but the whole set is well worth buying. Some highlights include the famed Martin Concerto for 7 Winds, one of Herseth's only solo recordings, and the booklet features a classic backstage photo from before the performance with Bud holding his Bach C trumpet, and very young looking Dale Clevenger and Jay Friedman. It has a number of things I have never seen on CD before, including Ravel La Valse and Bolero, and the Bizet Symphony. Also notable for the rarely heard Roussel Bacchus Suite 2, Varese Arcana, Hindemith Nobilissima Visione (one of my favorite CSO recordings), Mennin Symphony No. 7, and another remastering of Nielsen 4 that sounds better now to my ears.

For $20 some dollars for 10 CDs, grab this one fast as it might not be available for long.

JU

http://www.amazon.com/Jean-Martinon-Complete-Recordings-Orchestra/dp/B00PCCWXPG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1441367938&sr=1-1&keywords=martinon+chicago&pebp=1441367977050&perid=0H8PZHV123WYW87TG5H1
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! I have many of these on LP, but bought the CD set for my eldest brother.
These are excellent performances of music the CSO was not known for. As they are not the wretched "Dynagroove" equalized recordings, they sound great.
The Martin concerto is likely the best performance of this work you will ever hear.
R. Tomasek
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up!

I recently bought the "James Levine Conducts Mahler: Symphonies Nos. 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 & 10" Sony Box set with the CSO, Philadelphia and London groups that was a great price. The packaging is so-so; symphonies are split across CDs, there is no booklet, and the digital content labeling on the CDs themselves are not always correct. I had to do some adjusting when I put these on my device.

It looks like this package may be a bit better done. Sony is doing a good job of putting their classic catalogs into improved sound; I hope they continue to improve the packaging, too.

I'll put this on my get list.

-- Joe
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes RCA did a great job with this box. Each CD is in a mini-lp jacket with the front and back artwork and text as it was on the original release.

Rich - agreed about the Martin, the same for the Nielsen and Ravel pieces.

I have the Nielsen CD on right now. Man what a great recording! The CSO brass are in its prime!!

JU
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I heard Lalo's Le Roi d'Ys, I nearly fell off my chair.
You know what I mean, too.
R. Tomasek
mavrian22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually was just listening to Martinon's recording of Ravel's Rapsodie Espagnole the other day. Wow, whole recording is awesome, but especially the 4th movement. Impeccable clarity from the whole orchestra, and trumpet section.
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Le Roi d'Ys Reply with quote

The first time I was exposed to this was a very good band transcription. Loved the piece and immediately went out to find the orchestral recording.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida

Vin DiBona wrote:
The first time I heard Lalo's Le Roi d'Ys, I nearly fell off my chair.
You know what I mean, too.
R. Tomasek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: