• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lost my Embouchure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexbarham

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Lost my Embouchure Reply with quote

I am a newbie to the trumpet. I started playing this summer and had to take 6 weeks off due to a major surgery. I come back to practice and I didn't seem to lose much. I usually start out playing long tones chromatically from C (open) to the high E (open) and down again. So I am usually able to play the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th partials (C G C E with no valves depressed. This past 6 weeks were going really well. But this week, I seem to have lost my embouchure! When I play from C to G, I am finding I have to compress my lips harder. The sound will die away. The note will jump either to the higher note or to the lower note. Above the G, everything sounds fine. I can't seem to hold any notes in this one particular range. It is very frustrating. I don't believe it is anything mechanical with the trumpet.

Has this happened to anybody when they were starting out? Is it something that most people will go through when learning the trumpet?

I am not expecting any technique tips as I believe I just need to go back to basics on this part of the range. I am just hoping I am not the only one going through this difficulty.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things like that are common, particularly among new players. Even experienced players have good days and bad days. The trumpet is a very fickle instrument. Just keep practicing and be sure to rest as much as you play. If you're practicing correctly good results will get more consistent over time.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Things like that are common, particularly among new players. Even experienced players have good days and bad days. The trumpet is a very fickle instrument. Just keep practicing and be sure to rest as much as you play. If you're practicing correctly good results will get more consistent over time.

+1
Retired Air Force Bandsman
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Lost my Embouchure Reply with quote

alexbarham wrote:
I am a newbie to the trumpet. I started playing this summer and had to take 6 weeks off due to a major surgery. I come back to practice and I didn't seem to lose much. I usually start out playing long tones chromatically from C (open) to the high E (open) and down again. So I am usually able to play the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th partials (C G C E with no valves depressed. This past 6 weeks were going really well. But this week, I seem to have lost my embouchure! When I play from C to G, I am finding I have to compress my lips harder. The sound will die away. The note will jump either to the higher note or to the lower note. Above the G, everything sounds fine. I can't seem to hold any notes in this one particular range. It is very frustrating. I don't believe it is anything mechanical with the trumpet.

Has this happened to anybody when they were starting out? Is it something that most people will go through when learning the trumpet?

I am not expecting any technique tips as I believe I just need to go back to basics on this part of the range. I am just hoping I am not the only one going through this difficulty.

Were you maybe playing really loud for a while because things felt good?
Loud playing can bring on these symptoms when you first start out on trumpet. Like the above post stated. Rest as much as you play, and play soft for a while to bring the lips back in focus. Sounds to me like you blew your lips apart by overuse. Check out this site:

http://www.embouchures.com/

It has good info about overuse and so called broken embouchures.

regards,

tom
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little further along (one year of playing) but my high range is still yo-yo-ing up and down. The thing that helps me get back is to visualize that I am hitting a narrow target, like in archery. Also following the previous posters, rest more than you think you need to and play mf level at the most.

Usually I am OK on the 4th partial but the 6th goes in and out (note the standard partials numbering is one higher than yours, the pedal tone usually is called one, so I mean 5th and 7th according to standard nomenclature). But on bad days the 4th partial is not even so good. The things that do me in are overplaying, and too much switching between different horns and mouthpieces.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words (yeah yeah, I say this all the time): private teacher!

Brad
GrowlerBox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, it's always in the last place you look.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrowlerBox wrote:

The practice room?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your long tone warm up may not be ideal for you at this point. I've never been able to do long tones without some it introducing stiffness. What I have best success with is essentially harmonic series (3rd space C - 2nd line G - low C), gently and slowly. Pause. Repeat chromatically downward. Then after a pause I'll play octave scales starting on low G, gently and slowly. Pause. Repeat step-wise upward to the top of your comfortable range.

See if that gets you off to a better start.

(FWIW, that's not exactly what I do but a simplification of the James Stamp warm-up which I highly recommend).
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost my Embouchure Reply with quote

alexbarham wrote:
When I play from C to G, I am finding I have to compress my lips harder. The sound will die away. The note will jump either to the higher note or to the lower note. Above the G, everything sounds fine. I can't seem to hold any notes in this one particular range.

That doesn't sound like 'losing your embouchure!'

That's the good news. The bad news is, trumpet can be a b**** to learn. and what is wrong in your particular case is not readily apparent to us via this medium.

An old adage that may serve you well here is "trumpet is 90% mental, 9% air and 1% everything else."

In other words if you can get the sound in your head and remember to blow in the little end, whatever this quirk is will probably work itself out. A teacher would help you a lot right now. Meanwhile, patience; and don't force anything.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1% of everything else can weigh down on the remaining 99% - just as a drop of tar weighs on the taste of a full jar of honey.
GrowlerBox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
GrowlerBox wrote:

The practice room?

You crazy? The mouthpiece drawer.
alexbarham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your replies. I feel a lot better. I was worried that maybe the trumpet wasn't for me. But I have to remember it is a "fickle" instrument and to be patient.

Thank you KRELL1960 for the link. I will certainly check it out.

As for a teacher, my schedule makes it difficult right now. I know the importance but unless I can find a trumpet teacher who can provide lessons late evening or really early morning (which their neighbours would love), I will have to wait until things change.
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really frustrating when something you could do easily a few days ago is suddenly a struggle. Getting consistency is the real skill on this instrument. Getting into good regular habits is key but even then you can have disappointing days.

Worst thing you can do is to try and force things to work. Just go back to basics and try and get some nice relaxed, low register quiet playing going, then build from there.

I'm having a strange dip myself in the last couple of days after having 2-3 months of being really happy with my playing. It happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: