• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Prelude To Learning Trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Cornet Prelude To Learning Trumpet Reply with quote

How many played cornet before learning trumpet? How many learned cornet after trumpet?
kanemania
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played cornet up through college, then trumpet after my comeback.
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played cornet through elementary and middle school before moving to trumpet in high school. (Continued to play cornet in marching bands.)

The smaller size, heft and balance of the cornet makes it a nice match for young people. Still playing cornet and trumpet during my comeback years.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started in the 60s on trumpet and only had passing experience with cornet until relatively recently. Now I own a fixer-upper cornet but can't yet claim to have learned it even though I've played cornet in ensembles on a few occasions.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with many (most?!) Brits - cornet first in local brass bands and still primarily cornet, but play trumpet occasionally as needed.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started on cornet (because my father was a cornet player). When I got to 'beginner band', they recommended cornets as well, which worked out well. Later on in high school, the director wanted cornet on cornet parts for standard wind band lit, which was almost all of it back then. A few exceptions called for trumpet, which was the only time he wanted a trumpet to be used for concert band. Jazz band and marching were 'do whatever you like'. So, essentially I played cornet the majority of the time up through the end of high school, although I had a trumpet as well by my sophomore year.

I think the relegation of cornets by most people outside of traditional brass bands to something for beginners is completely and utterly broken thinking, but ... what do I know?
Honkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started on trumpet as a kid. 30 years later, started again, this time on cornet.

I HATE it when people suggest that a cornet is a baby trumpet -- that it's somehow less than "the real thing".

Say it LOUD: I play cornet and I'm PROUD.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be a man, face the facts, a cornet IS a baby trumpet!

(and I own five of them)
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything the trumpet is a baby cornet. I started on trumpet and continue to play trumpet 30 years later. Ocassionally I'll use one of my cornets in band but I'm just playing it as a trumpet. I would love to learn how to really play cornet but my sound concept is all trumpet
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on an Olds Ambassador cornet in fifth grade and switched to trumpet in high school. I didn't learn the difference between the two until I started playing again nine years ago and began reading Trumpet Herald.

Kent
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started as a smaller child on my grandfather's big heavy trumpet (take that, cornets are better for kids people!) and never owned a cornet until I was in my 40s.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid (around 1961) everyone started on the cornet. Didn't get a trumpet until 1969 or so. Cornet is what our band program, which was nationally recognized, dictated. By the time I got to HS the world started catching up with us...
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

started on cornet, it was the thing to do back then... I wish it was still the case
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
When I was a kid (around 1961) everyone started on the cornet. Didn't get a trumpet until 1969 or so. Cornet is what our band program, which was nationally recognized, dictated. By the time I got to HS the world started catching up with us...

Same here, homeboy, in Cedar Falls. I did get a trumpet sooner to play in a western swing band (popular in Iowa in the day) when I was about 13.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky in that I inherited both my uncle's King Silvertone cornet and my Dad's King Super 20 trumpet, so I had both from the beginning.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started on cornet in 6th grade, just like most everyone did back then (early 60's). Played it through junior high and 10th grade, then got a trumpet. I picked up a cornet again in the early 1980's and really enjoy playing them. Cornet is now my preferred instrument. Sometimes, though, you have to play trumpet...

Cornets are not baby trumpets. Trumpets are just obnoxious cornets.
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornet. My old bach cornet is still my preferred rehearsing instrument of choice.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on a Yamaha student cornet in 5th grade and played it half way into 9th grade (got a Yamaha 6335 trumpet for Christmas). I played on that trumpet until I took my break from serious playing about 5-6 years ago.

However, about 15 years ago, I joined a brass septet that used cornets, tenor horns, and euphs, and the like. So, for about 10 years I played cornet quite a bit as well - eventually buying my own Bach 184L.

If I really had to pick, I guess I'd play cornet over trumpet - in of itself. I like the large ensembles that I play trumpet with, though - orchestra in particular. For chamber/small ensembles, I really like cornet. The sound a brass septet gets with typical brass band instrumentation is so much nicer than a typical quintet with trumpets. Quintets are fun to play in, but I'd much rather listen to a group with cornets.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The (now) funny/interesting thing about having everyone start on cornet back when I did is the fact that the horns at that point pretty much were blowing about the same as trumpets, especially when one figures in the type of mouthpiece that came with them. I started on a Conn Director model which even had, if I remember correctly, a main tuning slide just like a trumpet, at the first bend. When I started teaching in 1974 I read an old article in The Instrumentalist concerning a study at, I believe, Indiana U where then-current cornets and trumpets were put in side by side sound comparisons. It seemed there was no real discernible differences in tone by that time, which would've been in the late 1960s. That's not the case with the basement full of old early 1900s cornets I have, especially if one uses the mouthpieces that came with them. (Or maybe it's just because some of them leak so much...) Anyway, we were being forced, by tradition, to use instruments which really didn't have the characteristic sound that was being "sought".

As a teacher, I always tried to start 10 year olds on cornets for another reason- much easier for a little kid to hold up, balance, and not bang into things in the first couple of years. In about 8th or 9th grade we could always move up to trumpets and it was easy to move the cornet on to some newbie just starting out if the kid didn't beat the hell out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: