• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Concert Band in January

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Concert Band in January Reply with quote

Hi Guys New and Old,

Picked up the horn coming up on 2 months ago. Descent progress so far. Lots of Schlossberg and Arbans, some Hering multiple tonguing drills, a bit out an old hymnal lying about, and a Broadway show tune to two has comprised my practicing thus far.

The gang at the local concert band have been so good. Whenever they see me they ask, "When are you returning?" So, aiming for January seeing that's the start of the Spring semester.

Getting quite a bit of bang for my buck in the section of Arban's just prior to the "Syncopation" section -- those 7 to 12 pages or so -- don't have it before me right now. Scalic stuff that one can play in cut time and put the triple meter into 1 beat per measure.

Will keep y'all posted. Hope you have been well and happy. Lousy health really put the kybosh on playing consistently for a few years. It's very nice to be back at it.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard. Good to see you posting and playing again. I took a few months off the horn recently, and really cut back on playing commitments for the past year. I'm getting back into the swing of things now at a less hectic pace. I'm enjoying it again and think the time off did me good - I managed to eliminate some bad playing habits and am playing better than I have in a long time.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale, so good to see you. Gimme the why/how regarding your improvement. Inquiring comeback minds want to know
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly breathing improvements and some rest (both mental and physical). I had always played with the "Al Hirt" stance - head tilted down and horn tilted up. I've gradually worked on my embouchure to get the horn more level with my face, and then lifting my head up to open up my windpipe more. With the air flowing easier, I don't have to work as hard, my lip lasts longer, and the upper register is easier. Seems obvious, but since I was doing ok the "Al Hirt" way, it took me years to try it differently.

I also bought a Clarke Characteristic Studies book and have been working on the solos in the back, which is something new to keep my interest. Still working Arban, Schlossberg, and Brandt a bit along with it. I also dropped out of the starting lineup in brass band, and the Civil War band has slowed down, so I'm not playing/rehearsing nearly as much, giving me more time to experiment and work on weaknesses. Playing less and enjoying it more...ha ha
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Richard!

Glad your mates in the band have missed you -- life is about relationships, is it not?
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff wrote:
Welcome back, Richard!

Glad your mates in the band have missed you -- life is about relationships, is it not?

Jeff, it certainly is. Cannot forget the first time on here, and seeing your name. Then digging a bit more and seeing Dale's -- getting to know both of you (and many others) a bit. It has all been very good indeed.

Music wise now, daily work on the horn now I find mostly during the early mornings using the trusty practice mute. Using the mute does not bother me in the least. In fact, I like it. It's from my oldest past life in 1978'ish: a Denis Wick practice mute that works very well.

This morning, worked on Schlossberg's "Lip Drills" as well as my normal routine of favorites from the "Long Note Drill" to some good effect. Over the weekend, the last 7 pages or so of Arban's first section has been a mainstay too.

Good stuff. Sounding just fine; and depending upon the day, sounding pretty darn good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: